When you have to choose a suitable scope for your rifle, you always have the question in mind – is it the best long range scope for long range shooting? So, to select the best long range scope which is suitable for you, the first consideration should be – operational quality. You also need to consider:
Lenses, Scope Body, Reticle, Objective lens size, Magnification power, Focal plane, Adjustment ranges.
There are some different categories rifle scopes reviews written in the below. They are the best rifle scopes in their own price range. So you have to decide which one would complete your individual needs?
- 10 Best Long Range Rifle Scope
10 Best Long Range Rifle Scope Review
- 1.UTG 3-9X32 BugBuster Scope Review – best cheap long range rifle scope.
- Nikon Prostaff 3-9×40 Riflescope Review – best budget long range rifle scope/long range scope on a budget
- 3.Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20×50 PA Mil Dot Reticle Review – best long range rifle scope under $500
- 4.Nikon MONARCH 3 BDC Riflescope 4-16×50 – best long range rifle scope under $500
- 5.Leupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope Review – best long range scope for 308.
- 6.Nikon p-223 3-9*40 Mate BDC 600 Review – best long range rifle scopes for the money.
- 7.Nikon PROSTAFF 5 Riflescope 4.5-18×40 Review – best rifle scope for long range hunting
- Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO Riflescope Review – top rated long range rifle scopes.
- 9.Nightforce Optics 5.5-22×56 NXS Riflescope Review – Top Rated Long Range Rifle Scopes
- XTR II 3X-15X-50mm Illuminated FFP G2B Mil-Dot Reticle Riflescope Review – best long range scope under $1000
- Best long range rifle scope Buying Guide
10 Best Long Range Rifle Scope
|No||Product Name||Shop Now|
|1||utg 3-9×32 bugbuster scope|
|2||Nikon Prostaff 3-9×40 Riflescope|
|3||vortex viper 6.5-20×50 pa mil dot reticle|
|4||Nikon MONARCH 3 BDC Riflescope 4-16×50|
|5||Leupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope|
|6||Nikon p-223 3-9×40 Mate BDC 600|
|7||Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BCD Riflescope 4.5-18×40|
|8||Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO Riflescope|
|9||Nightforce Optics 5.5-22×56 NXS Riflescope|
|10||XTR II 3X-15X-50mm Illuminated FFP G2B Mil-Dot Reticle Riflescope|
10 Best Long Range Rifle Scope Review
1.UTG 3-9X32 BugBuster Scope Review – best cheap long range rifle scope.
The price of UTG 3-9X32 1″ BugBuster Scope is under a hundred dollars, and there are so many rifle scopes that you will get under a hundred dollars. So the question is that – why do you choose this one? So, let’s find out. This is not only one of the best long range scope within price range but also offers you a lot of features, quality and thousands of positive online reviews.
|Fog proof and Rainproof||Yes|
|Recommended Location||best cheap long range rifle scope|
- Lockable and Resettable Turret Design: It has 1 inch Tube with the emerald coating which allows for the Maximus light transmission and premium zero lockable, and the turrets are fingertip adjustable. The turrets are quite easy to rotate and move. When the scope was sighted in, you can reset the turrets back to zero.
- Quality: The sight quality of the scope is excellent. It offers you accommodating eye relief, great illumination, dust caps and high quality built product. Not only this but also the nitrogen purge makes it rainproof, fog proof, shockproof.
- Mildot Reticle: The range estimating Mildot Reticle is great for optimal aiming and shooting. It also comes with adjustable parallax which gives pinpoint accurate long shooting range.
- Made of: The main body is aluminum, and there is also ample use of polymers as well.
- The packaging is just perfect. The scope is packaged inside protective display with all the details, and the accessories are wrapped separately.
- The eye relief is just perfect.
- It provides perfect clarity.
- High-quality built.
- Low cost.
- A few customers complained that the battery drains out in less than 8 hours of continuous use, but it happens in some very rare cases. But still, you can include an extra set of batteries in the deal.
Conclusion: If you consider about price, quality and features then I would dare to say, this is the perfect scope that can match up with your expectation perfectly and make you feel satisfied.
Nikon Prostaff 3-9×40 Riflescope Review – best budget long range rifle scope/long range scope on a budget
The Nikon Prostaff 3-9×40 Riflescope is one of the cheap and versatile tools in spite of being a budget-friendly Rifle Scope for you. The design, features, eye relief and durability of this Rifle Scope satisfy the hunters completely even the demanding ones.
|Warranty||Color||Waterproof||Fog proof||Recommended Location|
|Workmanship lifetime Guarantee||Black||Yes||Yes||best budget long range rifle scope/long range scope on a budget|
- Multi-coated optics: The Nikon Prostaff 3-9×40 Riflescope is equipped with a fully multi-coated system. The Multi-colored lenses system enhance light transmission up to 98%. So you don’t have to bother about shooting even in lower light.
- Magnification: The magnification is 3-9x.
- Objective Diameter: The objective diameter is 40mm.
- Patented BDC Reticle: The patented BDC Reticle provides an extra advantage fo the hunters and shooters. Now shooters can adjust the bullet drop to impressive 600 yards.
- Eye Relief: The Nikon Prostaff 3-9×40 Riflescope provides generous, consistent eye relief.
- Zero-Reset Turrets Adjustments: The design of zero-reset turret adjustments is uncomplicated and very easy, the scope easily sets to zero immediately.
- Made of: The Nikon Prostaff 3-9×40 Riflescope is made of Aluminum. So, it is very durable.
- Waterproof, Fog proof and Dustproof: The Nikon Prostaff 3-9×40 Riflescope is nitrogen filled, and O-ring sealed. So it is Waterproof, Fog proof and Dustproof.
- The image clarity is fantastic.
- It is quite easy to adjust.
- The eye relief is excellent.
- Low cost and best features.
- It provides Lifetime Materials Lifetime Guarantee.
- It does not appear with a mounting ring, but it’s not a problem. You can buy it separately.
- The Nikon Prostaff 3-9×40 Riflescope would be much more perfect for medium range rather than long range.
Conclusion: The Nikon Prostaff 3-9×40 Riflescope is one of the best budget long range scope/ long range scope on a budget that can even compete with expensive rifle scopes. I find this Rifle Scope is a steal from Nikon. If you consider the price range (which is now under $150), it offers amazing features in this price range and it also has fantastic reviews.
Best long range scope under $500: There are so many rife scopes available on the market under $500. After doing a lot of analysis, I picked two best Rifle Scopes under $500
3.Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20×50 PA Mil Dot Reticle Review – best long range rifle scope under $500
The Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20×50 Rifle Scope is a fantastic Scope which works very efficiently. This Rifle Scope has pretty amazing features that you like to know. Let’s have a look at it, then we will decide- is it the best long range scope under $500?
|Warranty||Color||Waterproof||Fog proof||Recommended Location|
|Vortex VIP Lifetime Warranty||Black||Yes||Yes||best long range rifle scope under $500
and also best long range scope
for long range hunting
- 5-20×50 Rife Scope: This is entirely suitable for the tactical and long range hunting. It is equally ideal for predator/varmint and target applications.
- Mil-Dot Reticle: The Mil-Dot reticle is very handy to estimate range, windage and also bullet holdover. So it is good for long distance shooters and hunters who need the range ability.
- Rugged 30mm Tube: The robust one-piece tube which is 30 millimeters is for any hunt. It also allows you best windage and elevation adjustment travel along with greater strength. The single piece tube also maximizes not only strength but also waterproofness.
- Equipped with the tall turrets: The Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20×50 Rifle Scope comes with the tall turrets that allow the shooters quick and easy field adjustments.
- Made of: The Waterproof Vortex Optics Viper Rifle Scope is made out of Aircraft-Grade Aluminum Premium grade of aluminum and ensures the rifle scope’s sturdiness and also valued for the fatigue resistance. The full body is made in such a rigid construction that it can withstand any type of impact and recoil, so you can easily and confidently use the rifle scope in hostile environments.
- Zero-reset Function: The zero-reset function which is used in this rife scope allows zero in quickly in the field without using any tools. You just have to lift them up and dial them back to zero, then let them return back, and you got your rifle scope zeroed very easily.
- Waterproof, Fog proof and dustproof: The waterproof optics are sealed with O-rings which do not allow the fog, dust, and debris from getting inside the binocular and protects it.
- Fast focus eyepiece: The fast focus eye piece is quite easy and quick to use and allows quick reticle focusing.
- The Vortex Optics Viper Rifle Scope offers perfect light transmission.
- The objective lens makes sure that you will get the crystal-like pictures.
- You have the great choice of the three reticle styles.
- The Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20×50 Rifle Scope provides the lifetime warranty, and now you can believe the sturdiness of the entire body of this Rifle Scope.
Conclusion: It’s a hard choice for me to select best scope under $500 but the Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20×50 rifle Scope is extremely well-designed and offers you the best features. So, I would confidently like to say the Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20×50 Rifle Scope is theone of the best long range scope under $500 and also one of the best Rifle Scope.
4.Nikon MONARCH 3 BDC Riflescope 4-16×50 – best long range rifle scope under $500
Nikon always makes the top-quality product. Nikon never disappoints us when it’s matter about quality. The Nikon MONARCH 3 4-16×50 Riflescope is a versatile scope and also best long range scope under $500.
|Color||Waterproof and Fog proof||Shockproof||Recommended Location|
|Black||Yes||Yes||best long range scope under $500 and also best long range rifle scope for long range hunting|
- Magnification and Objective Lens: The Nikon MONARCH 3 BDC Riflescope provides you 4x-16x magnification, and it comes with 50 millimeters objective lens.
- Light Transmission: The Nikon MONARCH 3 4-16×50 Riflescope is also quite known for its Ultra ClearCoat Optical System that enhances up to 95% light transmission.
- Quick Focus Eyepiece: The Black Nikon MONARCH 3 4-16×50 Riflescope provides you a quick focus eyepiece which allows the shooters and hunters immediately to bring their reticle into focus.
- Eye Relief: The best part of the Nikon MONARCH Riflescope is its Eye Box Technology that offers you a 4-time Zoom Range. This waterproof Rifle Scope also provides you 4 inches generous eye relief.
- Nikon’s Spot on Ballistic Match Technology: This Nikon Rifle Scope is optimized for use with the Nikon’s Spot on Ballistic Match Technology.
- Zero-Reset Turrets: Nikon rifle scope can be easily adjusted with the Spring Loaded instant Zero Reset turrets.
- It is waterproof, fog proof, shockproof.
- The optical quality of the 4-16×50 is excellent.
- The clarity is very well.
Conclusion: The Nikon MONARCH 3 4-16×50 Riflescope’s price is under $450, and in this price range it gives fantastic features and maintains its dignity of being versatile product.
5.Leupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope Review – best long range scope for 308.
The Leupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 is a high-quality waterproof rifle scope which is suitable and the best scope for .308.
- Scope Dimension: The Leupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope offers you the 40mm objective lens that allows you plenty of light transmissions.
- Eye Relief: The Eye Relief is comfortable between three and a half and four and a half inches, so you can be tension-free about the scope banging you in the eye or forehead when you fire.
- Optical quality: Full multicoated the optics here to maximize not only light transmission but also image quality.
- Fog proof: The Leupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope is filled with Aragon and Krypton gases that virtually eliminate the effects of thermal shock. It makes the rifle scope fog proof. Even when you move the rifle scope from the warm interior of a vehicle to cold outside temperatures.
- Waterproof and shockproof: The Leupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 Riflescope provides you fully multicoated lenses for waterproofing. It is also shockproof.
- Magnification: The Leupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 Waterproof Riflescope has 8.60x maximum magnification.
- Design: It is designed to stand against the heavy recoil of .308.
- Mil-Dot Reticle: The Mil-Dot Reticle makes the Leupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 Fog proof Riflescope ideal for tactical using even for beginners.
- Turrets: The turrets are zero resettable.
- Excellent quality.
- Easy to use.
- Reasonable price.
- Not yet found.
Conclusion: So,thisLeupold 115390 Mark AR MOD 1 waterproof and fog proof Riflescope is an excellent option and also could be considered one of the best long range scope for 308 rifles.
6.Nikon p-223 3-9*40 Mate BDC 600 Review – best long range rifle scopes for the money.
The Nikon p-223 3-9*40 Mate BDC 600 is one of the most popular Rifle Scope for the money. It is equipped to boost the shooting performance of both hunters and shooters.
|Recommended Location||Best long range rifle scopes for the money.|
- Design: The Waterproof Nikon p-223 3-9*40 Mate BDC 600 is equipped with the company’s signature BDC 600 reticle, and it is intended specifically for the .223 caliber pounds.
- Polymer HP Bullet: The Nikon p-223 3-9*40 Mate BDC 600 is effectively optimized with 55-grain polymer bullet.
- Positive click Reticle Adjustments: The Nikon p-223 3-9*40 Mate BDC 600 has a zero rest functionally so that you can keep your adjustments will always remain in place until you reset them and the adjustment are ¼-minute on the angle.
- Parallax setting: The parallax setting of up to 100 yards which removes any parallax whenever you needed to be precisely on your target.
- Waterproof and fog proof: It is designed with waterproof and fog proof with nitrogen in the interior and an O-ring sealed.
- Eye Relief: The Nikon p-223 3-9*40 Mate BDC 600 provides sufficient eye relief so that you do not have to damage your brow from the recoil of your rifle
- The scope is quite sturdy and well-built.
- It gives a sharp and bright image even in the low light.
- The scope is rainproof, waterproof and fog proof.
- BDC and Turret Design.
- The eye relief is excellent.
- Low cost.
- It provides you the lifetime warranty. It is really pretty impressive because you deal completely safe.
- It does not have basically any con, but a lens cleaner and a flip cap are not included in the deal. But these items do not cost a lot rather these are very cheap if you need to buy.
Conclusion: So, we see that the Nikon p-223 3-9*40 Mate BDC 600 offers fantastic features. It also has thousands of amazing positive reviews in online, and people give this scope pretty good rating on Amazon also.
7.Nikon PROSTAFF 5 Riflescope 4.5-18×40 Review – best rifle scope for long range hunting
The Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BCD Waterproof and Fog proof Riflescope is one of the best Rifle Scope for long range hunting as it is designed to match-up with the expectation of all the hunters even the demanding ones. The most important fact is – It is equally one of the highly rated best Rifle Scope for shooting which less than half the price in comparison to most other long range scopes. It is equipped for long range hunting and to compete with all the best high-priced Rifle Scopes.
|Color||Waterproof||Fog proof||Recommended Location|
|Black||Yes||Yes||best rifle scope for long range hunting|
- Fully Multicoated Optics: The Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BCD Riflescope is built with fully multicoated optics which allows you for Maximus brightness and light transmission and give you the best sight possible even in the low light environments.
- Patented BDC Reticle: The Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BCD Waterproof Riflescope provides you a patented BDC (ballistic drop) reticle that accounts for falling bullets over long distance and also has excellent see-through ballistic circles which gives incredible benefit for long range shooting as you can easily judge distance while keeping your prey in sight. Even the beginners can easily use it for its simplicity.
- Quick-focus eyepiece: The Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BCD Riflescope provides you constant 4inch eye relief which makes sure that your brow would be safe even with the heftiest recoiling cartridges. It also provides a clear field of view even if you are wearing eye protection.
- Spring-loaded zero-reset turrets: The Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BCD Riflescope has spring loaded adjustments turrets which instantly reset to zero when released and this feature makes it quite easy to achieve various field adjustment.
- Waterproof, fog proof and Shockproof: The Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BCD Riflescope is nitrogen filled and is O-ring sealed, so it is waterproof, fog proof and shockproof and offers you a promising performance.
- Spot on Ballistic Match Technology: This Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BCD Riflescope is optimized for use with Nikon Spot on Ballistic Match Technology which allows you to determine all of the precise aiming points.
- Package: The most amazing matter is that you will also get the Nikon ships with lens caps and a sunshade for blockings reflections as a bonus. So it’s great offer as sometimes you have to buy at your own cost.
- The price is quite reasonable, and it offers best features in its price range.
- The clarity is perfect.
- Excellent quality.
Conclusion: The Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BCD Riflescope is a reliable rifle scope for long range hunting.
Top rated long range rifle scopes: I choose two top-rated long range rifle scopes for the customer. One is quite affordable, low cost and for the medium budgeters but an excellent riflescope the other one is quite expensive and probably the best rifle scope present on the market now.
Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO Riflescope Review – top rated long range rifle scopes.
The Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO fog proof, waterproof and shockproof Riflescope provides a lot of features with high-quality performance. You can’t be more happy to know that it offers VIP Lifetime Warranty so that you feel assured it is a high-quality product which is going to serve you for a long time.
|Tube Size||Turret Style||Warranty|
|30mm||Capped||VIP Lifetime Warranty|
- Multi-coated lenses: The Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-24×50 has fully multi-coated lenses which allow you to increase light and transmission and also provided you a clear and bright image. The multi-coated lenses also provide you many anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces which make it quite easy for you to use the scope even the sunny days without any difficulty.
- Fast Focus Eyepiece: The Fast Focus Eyepiece offers you a quick and easy reticle focusing. So, it becomes quite easy for you to track down your target without any problem.
- Second Focal Plane Reticle: It makes sure that the Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO Riflescope keeps up the same ideally-sized appearance and also used for accurate estimating range, holdover, and the wind drift correction at a magnificent of 18x.
- Capped Reset Turrets: The Reset Turrets allow re-indexing the turrets to the zero after sighting in the Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO Waterproof Riflescope. The cap, on the other hand, offers external protection for turrets.
- Tube Size: The size of the tube is 30 mm diameter.
- Single piece Tube and aircraft grade aluminum: The Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-24×50 is made from a single piece tube which maximizes alignment for enhanced precision and ideal visual performance. It ensures not only sturdiness but also waterproofness. The construction is manufactured from a solid block of aircraft-grade aluminum which ensures strength, rigidity, and durability.
- Adjustable objective: The adjustable objective which is responsible for ensuring that the adjustment for the rifle scope’s objective lens provides image focus and parallax removal.
- Hard Anodized Finish: The rifle scope has a hard anodized finish which is highly durable low-glare, so it allows camouflage the shooter’s position.
- Waterproof Performance: The Rifle Scope has O-ring seals which prevent moisture, dust, and debris from entering the rifle scope so that it can offer you a promising performance in all environments.
- Fog proof Performance: The Rifle Scope is also nitrogen purged, so it prevents internal fogging over a wide range of temperatures.
- Shockproof Performance: The Rifle Scope also provides you a rugged construction that can stand against recoil and impact.
- You will get unlimited lifetime Warranty.
- It is made from solid piece of aircraft grade aluminum.
- High-quality scope with very clear optics.
- Reasonable Price.
- Eye relief.
Conclusion: The Vortex Optics Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO waterproof and shockproof Riflescope impresses many customers with its high-quality performance and the price is under $300, and it also has the pretty good rating. I am certain you will found this Riflescope handy.
9.Nightforce Optics 5.5-22×56 NXS Riflescope Review – Top Rated Long Range Rifle Scopes
The Nightforce 5.5-22×56 NXS Tactical Riflescope is a high-speed scope which could be considered easily top rated long range rifle scope. This scope is renowned for professionals. I confidently can say that it is the one of the best long range rifle scope present on the market but don’t forget it is expensive. It offers some unique features.
|Waterproof and Fog proof||Yes|
|Recommended Location||Top Rated long range scope and also best long range rifle scope for long range hunting|
- Magnification and objective Lens: The Nightforce 5.5-22×56 NXS ZeroStop Riflescope has 5.5 – 22x magnifications, and it comes with a 56-millimeter objective lens.
- Diameter Tube: This Rifle Scope comes with a 30-millimeter diameter tube.
- Eye Relief: The Nightforce 5.5-22×56 NXS Riflescope provides 3.9 inches eye relief.
- Adjustable Turrets: The Rifle Scope comes with adjustable finger turrets, and it also has a click adjustment.
- Field of view: The field of the view of the Nightforce NXS Riflescope at 5.5x magnification is 17.5’. Then the field of view of the scope at 22x magnification is 4.7’ at 100 yards.
- Exit Pupil Diameter and Weigh: It comes with an exit pupil diameter of 10.2 to 2.5 millimeters and the rifle scope weighs around 32 oz.
- Waterproof, Fog proof and Shockproof: The Nightforce 5.5-22×56 NXS Riflescope is Waterproof, Fog proof and Shockproof so it can be used all kinds of weather efficiently.
- The speed and accuracy are perfect in all situations.
- This Rifle Scope is weather resistant.
- ZeroStop always returns your rifle scope to zero.
- Made of high-quality Aircraft Grade Aluminum.
- This rifle scope was tested for perfection rigorously.
- This Rifle Scope is quite expensive.
Conclusion: The Nightforce 5.5-22×56 NXS Riflescope has all the features that you can expect. If you don’t have any budget problem and have an unlimited budget, then it is the ultimate Riflescope for you.
XTR II 3X-15X-50mm Illuminated FFP G2B Mil-Dot Reticle Riflescope Review – best long range scope under $1000
|Covered by the Burris Forever Warranty||Yes||Yes||best long range scope under $1000 and also best long range rifle scope for long range hunting|
- Design: The Burris XTR II 3X-15X-50mm Illuminated FFP G2B Mil-Dot Reticle Riflescope is designed for serious, technical and long-range precision rifle shooters not only for tactical but also competitive.
- Front Focal Plane Reticle Design: The Front Focal Plane Reticle on this or all high magnification for XTR II Riflescopes which allows the reticle, size to increase or decrease since magnification increased or decreased. The trajectory compensation is always appropriate and proportional the selected power setting. The optic design is also called First Focal Plane or FFP
- Ergonomic Side Focus and Parallax Setting: The Ergonomic Side Focus and easy to reach Parallax adjustments that from yds. To the infinity which improves the accuracy at long distances.
- Optical Glass: The high-grade optical glass offers the best brightness and clarity with ever-lasting durability.
- Adjustment Knobs: The resolution optics and tactical-appropriate reticles and adjustment knobs make it quite easy and quick to identify targets with advanced windage and elevation adjustment.
- Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle diminishes the time to get on target in any of the lighting conditions and it also dramatically increases the accuracy when the target is dark.
- Waterproof and Shockproof: The Burris XTR II 3X-15X-50mm Illuminated FFP G2B Mil-Dot Reticle Riflescope is waterproof, and the nitrogen-filled body tubes prevent the internal fogging even in the cold or rain. All the hand-fitted internal assemblies are triple spring-tensioned which makes absolute shock proofing even it is under the severe recoil.
- Construction: The Burris XTR II 3X-15X-50mm Illuminated FFP G2B Mil-Dot Reticle Riflescope features the 5-times zoom system and 25% thicker construction.
- The Burris XTR II 3X-15X-50mm Riflescope is robust and durable. It can withstand any vibration and shock.
- It provides excellent brightness and clarity.
- It provides better target acquisition at longer ranges.
- The Burris XTR II 3X-15X-50mm Illuminated FFP G2B Mil-Dot Reticle Riflescope has 11 brightness settings.
Conclusion: The Burris XTR II 3X-15X-50mm Riflescope is an excellent option for the hunters even for the professional ones. It would definitely impress you with its features and quality. It’s completely worth the money and only one of the Burris product that really makes me super impressed. Highly Recommended.
Best long range rifle scope Buying Guide
If the paintball player reaches mask and color balls in the morning, the air gun shooter packs the diabolic balls at noon and the huntsman shorts binoculars and night vision equipment in the evening, then everyone has a goal: to meet their goal well. In many cases, this can be done without tools, but in the case of doubt, the target optics can make the decisive difference. Now you may ask How does a rifle scope work.
A rifle scope works in principle just like an ordinary rifle scope or spotting scope: over two collecting lenses, distant things are displayed larger. The lens into which the light enters is called the lens. When you look through a rifle scope, the lens is on the side that keeps you away from the head. The objectives in the rifle scope comparison have a diameter of about 20 to 50 millimeters. For larger scopes, the lens diameter is correspondingly larger. In the interior of the binoculars, the picture is on its head. By a second lens, called an eyepiece, it is turned around again for the human eye. In the bundle of rays emerging from the eyepiece, one speaks of the exit pupil.
Rifle scopes on different weapon types
The products from our long range rifle scope comparison are different for certain types of rifles. There can, therefore, be no flat-rate purchase advice. Even the long-range rifle scope comparators must also fit their application.
|Paintball / air soft weapon||The weapon of the Paintball game (sometimes called “Gotcha”), which is abbreviated as “Markers,” is an air pressure gun. A tank (called a “hopper”), located above or inside the gun, contains small color balls. They fall into the barrel of the gun and are driven there using compressed air from a small gas bottle. If a player is hit, you can see the colored patches on the clothes.
Airsoft pistols and guns have different functions. Some, like most air guns, have a spring which is manually tensioned. Others use gas pressure. They are often replicated in real war weapons, but they shoot small plastic balls. The most popular are electric airsoft guns, where a small electric motor stretches the spring.
Both soft air rifle scopes and paintball markers do not need too much magnification :
· the teammates are not far away
· the weapons are not very precise at the high range
|Air rifle||The air gun transports the ball out through the strong compressed air, which is usually produced by a manually actuated spring accumulator. In this system, care must be taken that the rifle scope is impact resistant and does not damage the weapon by bouncing. Some air guns have a gas cartridge on the side instead of the spring, which releases carbon dioxide into the gun using a valve and thus drives the projectile into motion.
Air guns must not exceed certain strength in The USA. If you meet this requirement, any adult can acquire it and use it on private land. The air gun must, however, be packaged for transport to be considered “not ready for access.”
The Shooting enjoys great popularity in The USA and is even an Olympic sport. Often it is carried out with air guns, which are also very suitable for beginners. Also, the bureaucratic procedure is no longer applicable. An air gun with a rifle scope is used in competitions in which a flying disc must be fired at a distance of 10 meters. As with the software weapon and the paint, no extreme magnification is necessary, since the effective range hardly exceeds 75 meters depending on the model.
|Hunting rifle||This weapon is used – unlike the paint and the soft air weapon – sharp ammunition. They have hunted alone, from the high seat or on the game. Popular but also hunts, in which several hunters join forces to flush out the game at one point and waylay at another.
The range of hunting guns is significantly higher than that of the other weapons. Depending on the target, shots are delivered from approximately 50, 100 or 150 meters. Hunting in mountainous terrain also allows long shots at 200 meters. The appropriate rifle scope for hunting should, therefore, allow a corresponding enlargement.
The list of rifle scopes thus does not end. As the long-range rifle scope of a crossbow, one can be used which would also be used in air guns. Tactical rifle scopes, for example as a long range rifle scope of the use, make shots possible over extraordinary distances.
What should I pay attention to when buying?
2.1. Minimum magnification and maximum magnification for details in near and far
The magnification of the rifle scope is not always changeable. On some devices, the zoom is fixed, usually four times. On the other hand, higher-grade rifle scopes offer much better magnification. Whether a twenty- to thirty-fold zoom is useful at all depends on the purpose of the weapon: In a paintball hall, the teammates are never too far away. With a tenfold zoom, you can read the small print of the usage rules at the wall of the hall, but your buddies will cover you with a hail of color balls. Conversely, hunting optics is dependent on such an enlargement.
A hunting gun target bin, however, must make far-reaching targets visible. Just at dusk the human eye quickly reaches its limits. A favorable rifle scope, which does not provide a strong magnification, is only suitable for a hunter to a limited extent. Depending on the type of hunt, which he would like to pursue with his repeating trunk.
Incidentally, the twilight number of a rifle scope describes how good the device is at twilight. The higher the number, the better the visibility.
2.2. Illuminated visor
Anyone who shoots at dusk or in a bad light should consider a spotlight or sight rifle scope. In addition to the regular crosshairs, the shooter receives one with luminous markings, which can be seen. An aiming rifle scope with a central light spot (also known as a red spot sight) makes it easy to target a moving target quickly. This makes it a typical long range rifle scope of the push hunt, which is why it is also called hunting hunt glass.
In most cases, you can choose between red and green. Some models even offer a full-color palette. The brightness can be downgraded as desired. However, not everyone is equally convinced by the technology. Some prefer their reticules illuminated; others find the rather irritating. We briefly summarized the advantages and disadvantages for you:
- illuminated reticule in the dark more recognizable
- especially useful for moving targets
- can be perceived as dazzling
- requires batteries
2.3. Not too heavy and not too long
Keep in mind that a rifle with a heavy rifle scope must be lifted more slowly and cost more power in the arms. Also, the length is not irrelevant: some a rifle scope is completely oversized for a pistol or a shorter rifle. If you mount it on the rail, the rifle scope must not be too close to the face.
Lasers that throw a red dot at the target are considered target points in the USA. Import and use are prohibited under the Weapons Act.
2.4. Accessories complete the order
A protective cap that protects the lens and eyepiece from contamination is useful. Some manufacturers supply these caps. Without a target scope cover, there is a risk of scratches. Also, a special wiping cloth is justified. With it, the cleaning of the lens is much easier.
The little lexicon of the shooter
Not everybody knows what to do with the terms parallax, click or bounce. And even the old hares sometimes puzzled about how exactly an absolute value is calculated. To avoid embarrassment in front of your friends, we have briefly summarized the most relevant terms.
Not all of them appear in the product table of our rifle scope comparison because not all of them are equally attractive to all users. Nevertheless, you may stumble over one or the other term while you are looking for the best rifle scope.
The reticule at the rifle scope is the crosshair, which helps the rifleman to target his target. In the case of rifle scopes for hobby shooters, the reticule is usually kept simple. Sniper rifles shooting at far higher distances can also start with additional markers. For example, you can use two lines to determine how many hundred meters a person is from the shooter.
The collective crosshairs are numbered. Thus, referring to “reticle 1” or “reticle 6”, a certain graphic is meant. The differences are mainly in how many lines are displayed, whether they are in the middle (where they are usually thinner), or whether a point or a small circle highlights the target.
In the case of the Mil Dot reticule, several small points mark the angle which the shooter is looking at. The rifle scope with distance meter makes it easier to estimate the distance to another person. If the target is 100 meters away, between each of these points, lie 10 centimeters. Some shooters are disturbed by the fact that the reticule covers their target too much. For which vision in the rifle scope one decides, ultimately a question of the intended use as well as the personal taste remains.
The eye relief is not called in this case as the distance between the left and the right eye, but the distance of the eye to the scope. Recommended are about eight inches. Otherwise, the rebound can hurl the rifle gently against the face.
Riflescopes with diopter correction can support spectacle wearers during the sighting. Nevertheless, you should leave the shows in the case of farsightedness. The same applies in the case of corneal curvature.
The click value describes how you must set your rifle scope so that targets can be taken at a short or far distance. This can be very relevant, especially for sports shooters. The background is the ballistics, i.e., the trajectory calculation. When you shoot your weapon obliquely into the sky, the ball is not known to fly into the universe but is pulled back by the gravitational force to the ground. How quickly this happens depends on the weapon and the ammunition. In the package, you will find all the information you need to know how many centimeters the ball will hit at 50, 100, 200 or 300 meters.
The rifle scope can be set to “predict” this drop of the ball. It looks deliberately a few inches too deep. But if you suddenly target a 200 meter instead of a 50-meter target, you need the click value. It tells you how far (how many audible “clicks”) you have to turn the wheel per 100-meter distance to hit the new target well. Of course, you can also turn to good luck drauflos, but then the setting at the rifle scope will last quite a while. In this table, you will also find comparisons for yards.
Some shooters consider purchasing a rifle scope. However, used rifle scopes can have damage in the optics, which are not visible from the outside.
When parallax is optical illusion called that an object apparently moved when the viewer changes position. A simple example that everyone can understand is that of the thumb: Raise your arm, stretch your thumb moved up and visually move any object at some distance, For example, the flower vase of your mother. Close alternately the left, the right eye. The thumb jumps back and forth on the background. This seems so because you look at it from different positions: times out of the left eye, sometimes out of the right eye. Carry this idea further by imagining that the thumb is your rifle scope. Once you meet the vase, sometimes the shot goes off. And the further the vase is removed, the more fault-prone your thumb-pistol becomes – to the joy of your mother, who would like to keep her vase a bit, but also to the ridicule of your hunting friends when the fox escapes again.
A parallax in the rifle scope is easy if the shooter has to aim at his target obliquely. In the specialist jargon, one also speaks of the canting of the rifle. Depending on the terrain, a hunter may be required to make a shot at all. Long distance rifle scopes are parallax free at a certain distance, 100 meters is usually the default setting. If the game changes its position, the parallax compensation must be reset. At the same time, the lenses inside the camera are minimally displaced. But then, even with a rifled rifle, the reticule is properly aligned.
A paintball player will hardly touch the parallax problem.
The so-called bounce is generated by air guns which are operated by spring pressure. If a shot is triggered, a piston jumps forward inside the weapon. This piston compresses the air of the compression sleeve in which it is located. The high air pressure hurls the projectile out of the weapon at the front. The piston then bangs against the front end of the compression sleeve. This markup is called bounce.
Depending on the construction of the air gun, the bounce can be more or less violent. The whole rifle is shaken. Some rifle scopes cannot cope with these blows in the long run and can be damaged. In our long range rifle scope comparison, you will also find models that are shock resistant and resistant to bounce.
This adapter consists of a large Pica tinny rail, which can be mounted on the small Weaver rail of the rifle.
A prism rail sits between the shotgun and the rifle scope. It simplifies the replacement of the optical aid, which had previously had to be screwed directly onto the rifle. The aiming rifle scope has montage rings, which hold it on the rail. Therefore, if you want to mount a rifle scope, you do not need any additional accessories. Today, two differently broad prism rails are in use: the Weaver rail and the newer Pica tinny rail. They differ in width. Not every rifle scope fits every rifle. Before you buy a rifle scope, you should check to which rail width it will be mounted later.
The Field of view
The field of view indicates how extensive the section is, which you can see through the rifle scope. The assumption is usually a distance of 100 meters. Binoculars also have such a field of view, but in this case, the indication refers to 1000 meters. It is also recommended to take binoculars with a zoom and other optical values similar to those of the rifle scope. The same applies to a night vision device for hunting.
Frequently Asked Questions about rifle scopes
4.1. How do I mount a rifle scope?
The rifle scopes are supplied with mounting rings so that they can be easily fitted to the prism rail.
The most popular rifle scope mount is the rail-based system. The rifle has a pre-installed rail (if not, one must be attached) of the Weaver or Pica tinny type. The Pica tinny rail is about twice as wide as the Weaver rail. Two mounting rings are required to mount the aiming rifle scope. These keep the rifle scope in the middle and sit on the rail itself.
When mounting, be aware that the distance to the eye is not too large and not too small. Eight centimeters are a good guideline; if necessary, the manufacturers of the rifle scopes recommend a suitable distance. Note where the rifle plunger is located and whether your face is kept away from the target barrel by something else, for example, a protective mask.
Advantageous: Due to the prism rail, a rifle scope can easily be dismantled and replaced by another.
4.2. How to set a rifle scope correctly?
After it has been mounted on the rail, you must set your rifle scope. You do not get a few pro bonuses. Take enough time to shoot the rifle scope – this is indispensable for a good meeting security later.
On the side of the aiming rifle scope, there are two rotary knobs (sometimes hidden by a small protective cap). One is aimed at the rifle scope further to the left or right, the other minimally upwards or downwards. A clicking sound of the controller usually changes the target at a distance of 10 meters from the target disk by a few millimeters. To find out how many “clicks” you need, just take a look at the package insert. The calculation saves you a few shot shots when setting the long range rifle scope.
4.3. What kind of hunting is there?
Hunting is not like hunting. There are two main categories: hunting alone and hunting in the group.
Annuitizing: This form of hunting is very often practiced in the USA. The hunter waits in the morning or evening in a high seat and waits for the game to appear. He has enough time to select his target and place the shot.
Driven Hunt: In this form of sports hunting a group of drivers scares carefully on the game. The hunters are already waiting for the changes (= corridors), which the game likes to take to other parts of the forest.
Pirsch: In this form of hunting one or at most two hunters follow the game on foot. Particular caution is advised since even the slightest sounds or odors can give the Huntsman.
Hunting: The hunt is carried out with several people. The hunters roam through fields and shoot for fleeing deer (e.g., hares, rabbits).
In the two social hunts, in particular, many hunters use a rifle scope. There the game is in motion and with a hunting gun with rifle scope easier to hit. An equally appreciated object is the binoculars as well as – depending on the light ratio – a night vision device and sight rifle scope with night vision.
4.4. What are the manufacturers of rifle scopes?
So that you do not lose sight of the target distance comparison, here are some popular manufacturers. Perhaps one or the other brand is already known to you from other optical devices.