Your fuel tank does not have a trap door? So you have trouble checking the condition of the fuel and cleaning your tank. The laying of a trap door ( hatch or inspection hatch ) on a tank of fuel is an effortless operation, even for a novice! The most reliable outboard motor has all the facility to install it.
Equipment needed to install an inspection hatch on a fuel tank
- An electric siphon pump to empty the tank.
- The cans to collect fuel.
- An electric drill and a drill adapted to drill the holes that will accommodate the fastening screws.
- A jigsaw to cut out the location of the hatch.
- A trap door with seal and fixing kit.
- A marker to trace the location of the hatch on the tank.
- A trawl is suitable for making threads on the holes of the fixing screws of the hatch.
- A sandpaper P60.
- A sealing paste.
- of gloves
- The goggles.
- Equipment for cleaning the tank: cloths, detergent, absorbent cloths, and raclette.
How to install an access hatch on a fuel tank?
Empty the tank
It is necessary to work on an empty container for two main reasons:
- Metal debris resulting from cutting the location of the hatch and drilling holes that will accommodate the mounting screws may fall into the tank and pass through the fuel lines. This can damage both the edges and the fuel filter.
- The cutting and piercing operation produce heat. On a fuel tank, this can significantly increase the risk of explosion and fire.
If your tank is still full, then use a siphon pump to suck up all the fuel in it. The ammunition must later be recovered in drums.
If it is clean and does not contain any impurities or mold, then you can pour it into the tank after laying the hatch.
If you are going to work on a tank of gasoline, then double vigilance, because the gasoline vapors contained in the tank can ignite if the heat released by the cutting is very high. So be sure to work in a well-ventilated area.
If necessary, remove the tank to avoid risks!
Cut out the location of the hatch
- On the tank, locate the ideal place to install the hatch.
- Take measurements of the hatch and refer to the tank.
- Then trace the location of the hatch and fixing screws with a marker.
- Drill a hole in the marked path that is wide enough to use the jigsaw.
- Insert the jigsaw into the drilled hole and cut along the lines drawn by the marker.
- Remove the cut sheet by gently pulling it towards you. Then use a drill to drill the mounting holes and a suitable tap to make tapping of the mounting screws.
- Sand the cut-out portion and drilled holes in and out of the tank with P60 sandpaper to remove small metal debris.
Put the hatch
- Generally, the hatches of the fuel tanks consist of two parts: a fixed portion which receives the fastening screws is a removable part (cover) which makes it possible to inspect the tank.
- Put some sealing paste on each screw hole.
- Place the fixed part of the hatch with its gasket on the tank and tighten the fixing screws.
- If the thickness of the tank does not permit tapping, then use washers and nuts to secure the hatch.
- In both cases, it is useful to coat the screws with a small amount of thread locking glue such as Loctite for example to prevent self-loosening of screws that can occur due to vibrations on the boat.
Clean the tank and fill it with fuel
- Once the tank is well cleaned, pour the fuel recovered into the drums (if it is clean) or use a new fuel.
Realization of an inspection hatch on a fuel tank: what to remember!
- The access hatch is a must-have accessory that makes it easy for you to inspect and clean your tank. Besides, it is affordable and easy to install.
- To avoid the risk of fire, it is advisable to work in a ventilated space.
- Start by emptying the tank. Then cut out the location of the hatch and screws. Finally, install the hatch and tighten the fixing screws.
- The most important thing is to ensure that the hatch is watertight to prevent leakage and the release of fuel vapors.
How to Install a Trap Door on a Fuel Tank?
This article will help you to know about How to Install a Trap Door on a Fuel Tank | Let's have a look at the article to know more details
Best For Consumer