The most overlooked bike component would, without doubt, be the Seatpost. It is responsible for achieving absolute comfort during a ride. The more flexible the Seatpost, the more flexibility you will have in adjusting parameters that make your ride a better experience. No more high-frequency jerks, bumps, and vibrations – the best suspension Seatposts nullify the shaky effect and sucks up all the vibrations.
Over the last few decades, bike manufacturers have developed many designs and solutions for optimizing the comfort and flexibility factors related to biking. The primary focus falls on the Seatpost due to its connection to high handlebars, saddle repositioning, and overall bike compatibility.
There are a few crucial points to consider when purchasing a Seatpost. The type of Seatpost you choose will determine your usage style and impact your desired distance to be covered (maybe even positively). Keep reading to go through our extensively curated list of the best Seatpost reviews.
Table of Contents
- Best Suspension Seatposts, Carbon Seatposts, and Dropper Seatposts Review
- 1.Syntace P6 Carbon HiFlex Seatpost – best carbon Seatpost
- 2. Carbon Seatpost 3K Carbon Fiber Bike – best value carbon Seatpost for road bike
- 3. Opera Bike Seatpost Carbon Fiber Offset seat post – best carbon Seatpost mountain bike
- 4. Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster
- 5. Satori Animaris Bike Suspension Shock Seatpost – best bicycle Suspension Seatpost
- 6. Ganopper Road Track Suspension Seatpost – best mountain bike suspension Seatpost
- 7. PNW Components Cascade Dropper Post – best dropper Seatpost for the money
- 8. DNM Mountain Bike Dropper Seatpost – best mountain bike Dropper Seatpost
- 9. Kind Shock Eten-Remote Dropper Seatpost – lightest dropper post
- 10. X-Fusion Manic Dropper – best wireless dropper post
- 11. Fox Transfer Seatpost Performance Series – best external dropper post
- 12. Tmars 471L Mechanical Drop Seatpost – best mechanical dropper post
- Factors to Consider while Buying the Best Seatposts
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
Best Suspension Seatposts, Carbon Seatposts, and Dropper Seatposts Review
1.Syntace P6 Carbon HiFlex Seatpost – best carbon Seatpost
This Seatpost by Syntace weighs approximately 230 to 240 grams and has a diameter ranging from 27 to 35 mm. As per your convenience, you can set the length to anything from 400 to 380 mm. This optional sizing provides flexibility in functionality and makes it one of the best carbon Seatpost available for purchase in the market. Beware is not a generic vibration eradicating Seatpost; instead, it is designed to dampen the bumpy effects of riding on terrains like mountains.
The P6 HiFlex ensures that you remain stuck to your seat instead of hovering when you ride on mountain-like surfaces. This equips you with the capability to permanently have your feet on the pedal and focus more on power pedaling and maintaining your speed. At 12.8 ounces, it suits most travelers who prefer to cycle on open lands and mountain ranges.
- The lower part of the Seatpost is made of cold-forged alloy (7075)
- Deep head titanium bolts permit 30 degrees tilt angle to the saddle.
- Carbon Fiber seating
- Hassle-free seating allows the legs to stay on the pedal at all times.
- Effective construction
- Zero Seatpost deflection is detectable.
- It fits in really tightly and causes discomfort when removing.
2. Carbon Seatpost 3K Carbon Fiber Bike – best value carbon Seatpost for road bike
This would be an ideal candidate for the best value carbon Seatpost for road bikes because of its lightweight of 220 g and other unique features. The artistry applied in the making of this product has led to an impeccable design with brilliant mobility. Whether you need a Seatpost for your downhill bike, MTB, BMX, track bike, or geared bike, this is the aptest option you can find. The saddle above the Seatpost, irrespective of its design, can hold up to 580 lbs – all due to the Carbon Seatpost design.
The carbon fiber build-up promises to have a rust-free exterior and interior at all times. Inserting the Seatpost into the collar has been more accessible, despite the carbon fiber being thicker than usual. You can purchase a Seatpost sized at 27.2 mm (dia) x 350/400 mm (length). This flexibility can prove worthy when you switch bikes.
- Glossy 3K weaving outlooks the usually preferred UD matte finish
- 2 screw adjustment mechanism – contributes to the convenience
- It is a monolithic Seatpost with minimal part attachment.
- Saddle setback is 0 mm, which makes it damp-proof
- Easy installation process
- The material can quickly get ugly-looking scratches and stains.
- Often the diameter size is not 27.2 mm – confirm before ordering.
3. Opera Bike Seatpost Carbon Fiber Offset seat post – best carbon Seatpost mountain bike
This is without thought the best carbon Seatpost for mountain bikes. Weighed at around 210g, Opera Bikes has made it a point to focus on rigidity despite its reduced overall weight. The universally acclaimed carbon fiber material, along with aluminum-coated screws, imparts a feature of long-lasting durability. While ensuring that this Seatpost has all the traits of toughness, we have simultaneously made it a point to instill exquisite craftsmanship for elegance and unriddled functionality.
The company, Opera, is aware that its clients go for long-distance biking sessions and travel through dust, rain, storms, hail, and unexpected weather conditions. Due to this, they have implanted a corrosion-resistant surface on either side of the Seatpost, which looks highly presentable. Not convinced? We believe in our artistry to offer a full refund or replacement if you are not happy with the product.
- Glossy 3K matte finish is lovely to touch.
- Top-notch versatility – compatible with road, mountain, and long-distance travel bikes
- Aluminum screws erase the possibility of rust formation.
- The seat clamp comes with the package.
- Seatpost offset has been calculated as 20 mm – making it perfect for heavy hitters.
- The saddle will tilt with even a mild weight of 220 lbs.
- Grooves in the Seatpost assure that any extra force while tightening will ruin the product.
4. Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster
This suspension Seatpost comes in 2 colors – black and silver. The versatility and effectiveness have been carefully considered to allow their clients to take the bike anywhere, irrespective of terrain and weather. Thudbuster has also used its own personalized and patented parallel linkage technology that works in a forward-backward motion. This compression occurs in a bang opposite direction, which absorbs shocks and force at the same rate. The elastomers (made of rubber) constantly assist riders in focusing on their riding skills rather than worrying about undesired saddle movements. This is because they provide a customizable suspension ability of 76 mm for extended travel and 33 mm for short travel.
The efficient attachment mechanism makes it a breeze of a task for bikes that fold. Also, the smooth damping technology comes with great endurance for major improvements in seating quality and overall bike control.
- Thudbuster design eliminates friction.
- Forged aluminum linkage design
- Patented parallel linkage technology
- Comes with an epic rear suspension for a smooth riding experience
- Attachable tandem provides additional stability while facing rough roads.
- On the heavier side – it weighs almost a kilogram.
- Can randomly break in the longer run.
5. Satori Animaris Bike Suspension Shock Seatpost – best bicycle Suspension Seatpost
The maximum insertion is 200 mm, which is approximately 7.9 inches, whereas the minimum insertion distance is 100 mm, which is about 3.9 inches. Satori Animairs has been working extensively for over 40 years. They are known to provide the best bicycle suspension Seatposts and innovative handlebars, and efficient stems with desirable mechanisms. Being the leading supplier in the bicycle industry, they are known to provide global consumers and bicycle assemblers.
Despite being on the heavier side, weighing 1.5 pounds can prove worth the purchase. The design and royalty compromise this downside due to its wonderfully crafted matte finish that is black. You will not be bummed due to its exceptional shock absorption nature. The saddle will not move an inch, and feeling a bump or jerk will seem like a distant possibility.
- Versatility ranges from mountain bikes to road bikes.
- The tandem will quickly help you adjust your seat up or down.
- Impact on your backsides will seem negligible.
- It comes with a preload adjuster at the bottom of the spring barrel.
- Can easily handle weights up to 400 lbs
- The rubber part in the Seatpost can make squeaky sounds after substantial usage.
- It can prove to be heavy to travel with – weighing 1.5 pounds.
6. Ganopper Road Track Suspension Seatpost – best mountain bike suspension Seatpost
This Seatpost has been manufactured and designed by esteemed product designers and specialists at Ganopper. The best mountain bike suspension Seatpost is what you are looking for? These guys are looking to make the same. The damping coil spring, along with its decently lightweight design, makes it a great travel companion to mountain ranges and by water bodies. The construction has been implemented using one of the most durable aluminum alloys known as T6 alloy. This ensures unbreakable parts in combination with utmost durability. Depending on the Seatpost diameter you require, the overall weight can range from 502 gm for 25.4 mm to 635 gm for a 31.6 mm diameter Seatpost.
If you require adjusting the soft and hard status of the Seatpost, simply use an M6 Allen wrench. This wrench will support you in modifying the bike seating below the bottom half.
- Approved rust-proof material that abides by ISO standards 9001 and 14001
- Made of super-strong T6 aluminum alloy
- Ideal for mountain, road, MTB, DH, and FR biking
- The bottom screw of the post contributes to spring tension adjustment.
- Before the dampening effect reaches you, it is absorbed by the Seatpost spring.
- There have been complaints regarding the suspension.
- Weighs a little more than half a kilo.
No products found.
7. PNW Components Cascade Dropper Post – best dropper Seatpost for the money
This is definitely one of the best-dropped Seatpost for the money that you will be investing in. It is different from other above Seatposts in the sense that it comes with a dropper mechanism. People who weigh 400 lbs and have gear attached on their backs and bikes have not complained of any faulty structuring when riding their bikes. This dropper by PNW components comes with an external cable for routing and ensures the safety and zero possibility of seat detachment from the bike at all times. Do keep in mind, the diameter of this Seatpost is 30.9 mm.
To make the damping mechanism a foolproof one, the manufacturers have included a hydraulic cartridge sealed from either end. In the unfortunate event that this cartridge or any other mechanism within the Seatpost fails, you can promise to use PNW components to provide a warranty for 3 whole years.
- Use of a sealed hydraulic cartridge to eliminate vibration effects
- Top-performing customer service in the bicycle industry
- Comes with a 3-year warranty for any kind of malfunctions
- Setting up the Seatpost could not be easier.
- Dropper works exceptionally well – if any issues after a year – they will send a new one without hassle.
- Heaviest Seatpost/dropper as of now – weighing 2.2 pounds
- The internal post mechanism uses a nylon string.
8. DNM Mountain Bike Dropper Seatpost – best mountain bike Dropper Seatpost
This product by DNM is an improvement of its older model. They intended to bring the best mountain bike Dropper Seatpost to the market, and it’s fair to say you would agree to the same. The tube material used is 7050, and despite being only one in number, it has separate sections for air and oil systems. Structure-wise, DNM has deployed an exclusive anti-roll spin mechanism, which is safe for steady riding.
It is made in Taiwan and comes with a year-long warranty. It weighs approximately 660 gms and is available in 3 diameters – 30.9 mm, 31.6 mm, and 34.9 mm.
- One tube accommodates systems for both – air and oil.
- The maximum lockout force is 5 Nm.
- The Seatpost is adjustable manually or via a remote control.
- The saddle can be adjusted via a remote too (while riding)
- Usage life is double of its previous products.
- The cable can run outside the frame – adjusting its length can be troublesome.
- Air pressure/Oil system/remote control can get spoilt due to low usage.
9. Kind Shock Eten-Remote Dropper Seatpost – lightest dropper post
This product is unique due to its patented one-way roller clutch bearing. Making its ease of use and the smooth product was a top priority; thus, they created the lightest dropper post available in the market. The head is forged and comes with a 20 mm rear offset combined with 100 mm of infinitely customizable Seatpost for all kinds of travel plans in store for you. The stanchion (upright bar) is black and has been anodized to make it hard and durable.
A laser machine has etched the collar of this dropper Seatpost, and the alloy used is KGP polycarbonate. Durability is an assured prize you will be purchasing with this product.
- Patented one-way roller clutch bearing mechanism has been used
- The alloy used is KGP Polycarbonate – restricts stains and scratches
- Factory sealed air spring hydraulic cartridge
- The product comes with the cable and lever for problem-free installation
- The instruction manual is excellent – 15 minutes is all you need
- Does not come with a 1.5 hex wrench – which is hard to find
- Terrible packaging – no bubble wrap – simply lies rolling around in the box.
10. X-Fusion Manic Dropper – best wireless dropper post
The only sustainable and efficient best wireless dropper post, that too comes with a remote. The wiring is internally routed and has been designed to fit a broad range of frames. The air spring and the hydraulic chamber is locked to avoid mishaps, and only an X-Fusion employee can open it, that too for repairs only. The remote is attachable and can be positioned anywhere around the handlebar. Speaking about the clamp, it is double bolted and gives several seat adjustment options.
These bolts fit into both carbon rails and paddle shifters to provide greater versatility. The remote comes with an adjustable angle ball connected to the handlebar for more natural coordination.
- Double key-way prevents lateral twisting.
- Hydraulic action completely eradicates unwanted vibrations.
- The Remote is optimized as a left shifter for 1x drivetrains.
- Wireless on the outsides – internal routing cable
- Remote and cable come with the package – no need to buy them separately.
- Very high price – there are better options for half the rate.
- The cable may not stick internally and can drop – causing noises to occur.
11. Fox Transfer Seatpost Performance Series – best external dropper post
have gone through electrolytic passivation via anodization to give it a decorative, corrosion-resistant, and anodic oxide finish.
Different from all the other Seatposts, this product by Fox Transfer stands amongst the best external dropper post out there. The actuation mechanism is crucial for any biker, though they have no control over it. This is why this product has included internal hydraulics that contributes to smooth and undisturbed riding experiences. The upper halves of the post
The cable routing occurs on the collar end of the Seatpost. There are 2 different cockpit set-ups, and the cable is actuated by the remote itself, so make as many adjustments as you please.
- In-house hydraulics leads to lower maintenance.
- The cable can be actuated via the remote itself.
- Choose between internal/external routing and alter as per need.
- Stealthy anodized upper post
- The pressure relief valve is self-adjusting – helps maintain consistent action.
- Remote and Cables not included – still an unreasonably high price.
- This Seatpost is useless without the remote.
12. Tmars 471L Mechanical Drop Seatpost – best mechanical dropper post
This Seatpost uses an external AL6066 tube and internal AL7050 axle, having an outer diameter of 27.2 mm. The travel rod attached allows you to alter between 3 positions – fully extended, halfway dropped, or completely dropped. The fact that it stands out from the others in terms of mechanism makes it close to one of the few best mechanical dropper Seatpost available for purchase. It is no doubt a great alternative to most other expensive Seatposts available in the market. Thus, the moderate price is worth every penny.
- Rock-solid structure – does not require manhandling the Seatpost
- Mechanically operated Seatpost makes it less prone to issues.
- Tandem is attached to the Seatpost
- Spring can be adjusted by the hands if needed – no panel involved
- Uses a mechanically operated system – unlike manual and electrical systems
- The cable is super long and may need some containing.
- The lock often malfunctions, causing sudden jerks to the body.
Factors to Consider while Buying the Best Seatposts
All Seatposts are meant to do the same task of holding the saddle and reducing vibrations’ effects as much as possible. As consumers, we usually hardly notice the Seatpost and ride the bicycle anyway. It is beneficial to know what a Seatpost does, what kind of Seatpost suits you, and the things you must keep in mind when investing a significant sum of money on an accessory for your bicycle. Though it may seem like ‘just another rod on the bike’ – it determines how comfortable it is to ride your bike. Now that you’ve already read the best Seatpost reviews keep reading to be aware of some factors to consider to ensure you are satisfied with your purchase.
The most crucial factor in measuring is the diameter of the Seatpost. If it is not compatible with your bicycle measurements, then the purchase is a waste. Most modern bikes accept Seatposts with a diameter of 27.2 mm, 30.9 mm, or 31.6 mm. The wider the post, the more power transfer and resistance to failure of functionality: the narrower the post, the more comfortable over rugged terrain.
Commonly, carbon fiber, titanium, and aluminum are the 3 materials that Seatposts are made of. Titanium proves to be expensive but rewards the user with a lightweight product and a breeze-like riding experience. Whereas carbon fiber is also light, but they cost more and require ultimate care during installation. Carbon fiber is the preferred material due to its shock-absorbing characteristics. However, many MTB and trail riders would opt for aluminum Seatposts due to their sustainability and end endurance.
This is the distance between the middle point of the Seatpost and the saddle rail cradle’s center point. Reach, comfort, stretching, body posture – all these factors are impacted by the layback. The lesser the layback, the lesser will you have to stretch to reach the bars and vice versa. This factor boils down to personal preference – people who can not work with an inline post eventually turn to a layback to adjust their riding posture as desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a suspension Seatpost?
A Seatpost with an internal spring system or any sort of shock-absorbing mechanism is a suspension Seatpost. This comes in handy to bicycle riders all over the world. It helps them ride on rough terrains, mountain ranges, forest roads, or poor roads. A suspension Seatpost basically allows riders to sit on the bicycle for longer durations.
What is a dropper Seatpost?
This is a comparatively discovery in the bicycle industry. Rather than manually adjusting the Seatpost, the dropper Seatpost lets the rider adjust the Seatpost via the push of a button or ball present around the handlebars. This enables them to ride their bikes for longer durations without the need for stopping and making manual adjustments by hand.
What size dropper Seatpost do I need?
You need to make the calculations yourself unless you take help from a bicycle professional. Check your frame’s seat tube and measure its diameter with a relevant instrument. Commonly you will measure 30.9 and 31.6 mm. Also, make sure the height is based on the maximum extended length of the post, as no height is considered too low.
How to determine Seatpost size?
To get inch-perfect measurements, you need to measure the length of the Seatpost collar to the seat railing. Use a calibrated caliper with a tolerance of +/- 1 mm. Check the Seatpost holder's length on your bicycle – ranging from the lowest possible point to the maximum elevated height of the seat. This allows the Seatpost length to vary, and the sliding mechanism works just fine for undisturbed functionality.
How to install dropper Seatpost?
Firstly, slide the cable along the lever mechanism that is attached to the fixed barrel resting inside. Remove the cable from the other side of the housing (unless you have an internal cable system). Trim the cable to your desired length and install a removable barrel end; please use a cable cutter and scissors. Now the barrel end should seat itself right to the bottom of the dropper, and the post would have fit comfortably in the frame.
How to adjust suspension Seatpost?
The safest way is to detach the Seatpost from the frame and work on it. Turning the post upside down, you will see a dust cap with a hex like opening that should be 6 mm in diameter. By turning the Seatpost clockwise, you will make it stiffer and more rigid, whereas anticlockwise would make it much softer.
How to cut carbon Seatpost?
For this kind of task, you must use a carbon-specific blade to get the job done. Take note of the minimum insertion amount and cut down from the Seatpost collar mark. You can also wrap the carbon Seatpost in electrical tape and then use a significantly sharp-toothed saw blade. Make sure not to breathe in the dust as the particles can get stuck in your chest and lead to fetal abnormalities.
There is mild controversy whether to use greased carbon Seatposts or not, but there is no conclusion as yet, so if you like it, go for it, but be ready for anything. Now that you have read the best Seatpost reviews, read about vital factors to consider when buying a Seatpost, and got an answer to most of the frequently asked questions, you are equipped with sufficient knowledge to make your purchase. Do you need a Seatpost for Mountain biking? Road biking? Desert biking? Biking for the daily commute? Or for your kid or wife’s comfort? There are options within all price ranges for specifics as per the requirements you have.
Last update on 2021-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API