Whether with individuals or several family members, households of all kinds use a Butcher’s Block, which is basically heavy-duty assembled wood used as a chopping table or cutting board. Earlier, one could spot this block in meat selling shops, but it is now in people’s homes as time has progressed. The best Butcher Block Oil is used to coat the cutting board’s surface to protect the wood and maintain its natural glow and structure. The oil has been manufactured such that it is safe even when it comes to food items, whether they are vegetables, meat, or loaves of bread.
Depending on how often you use your board and your home’s humidity level, the butcher oil must be used. The best butcher block oil can be present anywhere in the range of food-grade mineral oil to food-grade tung oil, which is petroleum-based and made from pressing or crushing seeds, respectively. You must ensure never to use any olive oil or other cooking oils as they leave an unpleasant smell, which can also seep into your food after prolonged storage. We have curated a list of reviews to help you choose from the best butcher block conditioners and sealers.
Table of Contents
- Best Butcher Block Oil Reviews
- 1.Thirteen Chefs – Food Grade Mineral Oil
- 2. Walrus oil – Cutting board oil
- 3. Howard Products BBC012 – Best Butcher Block Conditioner
- 4. Ultra Pro – Food Grade Mineral
- 5. John Boos Block MYSCRM Essential Mystery Oil
- 6. John Taylor Butcher Block Conditioner
- 7. Sanco Industries Premium 100% Food Grade Mineral Oil
- 8. WoodWorx Butcher Block and Cutting Board Oil Conditioner
- 9. Furniture Clinic – Mineral Oil for Cutting Boards
- 10. Watco 241758 Butcher Block Oil & Clear Finish
- 11. Waterlox Original Sealer – best butcher block sealer
- Factors to consider while buying butcher block oil
- Final Verdict
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Butcher Block Oil Reviews
1.Thirteen Chefs – Food Grade Mineral Oil
FDA Food grade butcher’s oil, which is totally safe to be used on bamboo and wood cutting boards. The oil’s engineered properties help restore and protect the wood’s integrity by sealing minor ridges and hydrating it. The oil seeps and penetrates through the wood to soak the water and prevent any internal cracking and damage to your butcher’s board. Its diverse usage also makes it suitable for garden equipment, soapstone, and granite.
Due to constant usage and water-based cleaning of your cutting board, wood fibers begin to show, and the product begins to look faded; applying around 5-8ml (of 12 oz) of the oil stops the wood from fraying and refreshes the look. Thirteen of Chef’s butcher oil exceeds all standards for direct and indirect food contact by the FDA.
- It can be used as a skin moisturizer and even on leather
- Protects stainless steel surfaces from scratches and stains
- 100% lab-tested pure USP grade Mineral Oil (white oil)
- Made in the USA with top quality
- Push applicator cap and easy squeeze mechaniprovidedes a convenient usage style.
- A few customers have complained that the bottle top was open on delivery, and oil spilled everywhere.
2. Walrus oil – Cutting board oil
Walrus oil sells Butcher’s block oil in 8 oz bottles, also known as halving pint bottles. This cutting board oil constitution consists of natural ingredients such as Beeswax, pure Mineral oil, Vitamin E, and Coconut oil, which combine to make a strong and effective stain-repellent to be used grades and varieties of wood. Renews beauty and induces elegance within one cleaning session, thus leaving your butcher’s block with a vintage look. They believe in making tough products that can withstand, repair, preserve, protect, and condition the cutting board to grant it a longer and more presentable lifetime.
A straightforward to use and comfortable application process, which merely involves coating the cutting board with oil and leaving it to dry for around 12-24 hours. Once dry, wipe away the excess oil and resume going about your kitchen tasks.
- 2 coats provide greater depth and color
- It remains in liquid form, which never solidifies
- It prevents rotting while simultaneously highlighting natural wood colors
- FDA declared food safe
- Leaves no after taste and no stickiness.
- There have been a couple of complaints regarding the strong smell.
- It cannot be used as a skin moisturizer like Thirteen Chef’s oil.
3. Howard Products BBC012 – Best Butcher Block Conditioner
Howard products have innovatively and thoughtfully designed one of the best butcher block conditioners with a mixture of natural food-grade mineral oils and natural boxes. These bottles are sold in generous 12 oz containers for a pocket-friendly amount. The ingredients used ensure the water-resistant beeswax and Brazilian carnauba wax advocates protect wood surfaces more than the food-grade oil itself. Whether you want to get rid of knife marks or heavy-duty chopping marks, the wood remains intact and strong by letting the mineral oil inside and sucking the moisture out.
This conditioner can also treat wooden cups and surfaces without imparting any bit of a flavor or toxic substances. You can be assured to have an odorless, quick soaking, and smooth application process.
- Extremely reasonable price of 9.48 dollars
- Vitamin E used stabilizes food-grade mineral oil.
- Natural waxes provide an added layer of protection.
- The satin wax finish is achieved via use on countertops and other such surfaces.
- It immediately revitalizes the original look but with a more pristine glow.
- The oil mixes with curry stains to leave a prominent mark.
- It leaves a severely greasy effect on utensils.
4. Ultra Pro – Food Grade Mineral
A great solution and a great candidate for the best butcher block oil in the market, this oil does not promote bacterial growth due to its perfect biological and chemical composition. Its multi-purpose usage and colorless, odorless, and tasteless properties make it suitable for cutting boards, trolleys, tracks, doorways, or any surface that needs rust prevention. A perfect lubricator for food processing machines comes in a 1 gallon / 128 oz container for an extremely affordable price of 17.55 dollars.
UltraSource Pro has been taking care of a thousand companies’ processing and packaging requirements for over 12 decades, be it seafood, dairy, poultry, or even the pharmaceutical industry. They have maintained a brand image that gives them a major advantage over their competitors. This oil also acts as a perfect skin moisturizer by acting as a natural barrier without clogging pores over the skin layer.
- Ideal substitute as a fragrance-free baby oil
- Impregnate wrapping paper to keep edibles crisp
- Winterize tools for storage
- Can be used as a Natural Laxative
- Eradicates foodborne bacteria and odors
- The very loose cap which causes leakages – must have a seal.
- Lower than standard viscosity.
5. John Boos Block MYSCRM Essential Mystery Oil
This product comes with a 2-step cleaning mechanism where first you apply the oil, spread it gently, and then leave for 10 minutes, after which you apply the cream, which completely restores, replenishes, and revives your wooden butcher’s block. The Boos Block Mystery oil initially penetrates deep into the surface of the cutting board. It reshapes the wood’s fibers, then the cream (a combination of beeswax and food-grade mineral oil) with a majority of wax content coats a long-lasting moisture barrier on the top.
This John Boos product’s quality ensures that however big your equipment is and how much every oil and cream you use, there is no tinge of scent. Along with this, you have assured a rich color contrast and an expansion back to your item’s original shape.
- NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) certified
- Board cream consists of unbleached beeswax
- 2 products – 16 oz of Mystery oil and 5 oz of Board cream
- Fantastic customer service, always accessible and responsive to all queries
- The cream provides instant smoothness and shine.
- The board cream tube has some terrible packing, which requires great strength to open.
- Mystery oil mentions no ingredients – pretty much a mystery yet.
6. John Taylor Butcher Block Conditioner
The whole purpose of purchasing a butcher block conditioner is to keep your expensive investments such as countertops, trays, and other utensils safe from issues such as harmful and toxic water that seep into its surface. Usually, people use soap and water to repeatedly wash their equipment; this brushes off the real glow, feel, and look of the butcher’s block. But when you use John Taylor’s special formulation of Beeswax, Mineral Oil and Carnauba Wax, each wash has the exact opposite effect. An effect that reflects the revitalization of your cutting board.
Its natural antibacterial properties make it suitable for maintaining wooden antiques and even children’s toys. Cracks, ridges, and stains can all be rebuilt, restructured, and removed due to beeswax’s natural properties. The tasteless and odorless factor also ensures no interference with your well-crafted and carefully prepared gourmet masterpieces.
- Blends quickly into wood grains, allocating longer for wood fiber strengthening
- Highly durable coating along with a lustrous finish
- FDA approved, makes it safe for direct contact with food
- Perfect for bamboo products
- Enhances natural color
- It does not repel dirt and stains as well as other oils.
- Looses the acquired glow after two washes – not good in the longer run.
7. Sanco Industries Premium 100% Food Grade Mineral Oil
All vegetable oils are rancid from the very first moment of usage and leave an unpleasant scent in the atmosphere around. Mineral oils are more strongly bonded and will not break down, thus ensuring an odorless application experience. Being a food-grade mineral oil with colorless and tasteless traits also advocates 100% prevention of bacterial growth. This low viscosity makes it as smooth as water or baby oil, which simplifies the application process greatly. A couple of drops of clean help surfaces, which means the 1-gallon container can almost last for a few years.
Famed woodworkers who have used this product claim that heating 8 parts of this mineral oil along with 1 part of beeswax and maybe ½ a part of lemon oil will supply a flourishing finish for cutting boards, boxes, barrels, and wooden equipment of medium or smaller sizes.
- NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) Approved BB Oil (certification available)
- Environment-friendly during disposing and also applying
- It works great for Beehive treatments too.
- Colorless and odorless
- Cleans splattered grease with one wipe.
- Complaints of delivery with open seals and halve filled containers.
8. WoodWorx Butcher Block and Cutting Board Oil Conditioner
As the term suggests, ‘WoodWorx’ focuses on ensuring that your wooden Butcher’s blockboard is in working and usable condition at all times, whether it is 6 months or 6 years old. This oil has been engineered to ensure that the oil remains thin while it penetrates through multiple layers of wood and right to the base. Thus, leaving a coating throughout its path ensures that all water and other soapy liquids trying to seep are left out.
Moisture, odor, pests, dirt, and bits of food items in ridges, none of them would have any space in your Butcher’s board after applying WoodWorx’s Butcher’s Block oil conditioner.
- NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) Approved
- Zero drips, even inside the protective cover.
- Top-notch effects when the cutting board is left under the sun after application
- Leaves behind a lovely matte finish
- A 16 oz bottle is more than what other brands provide.
- Multiple steps before application of the oil
- No logo or identifiable sign on the product when delivered.
9. Furniture Clinic – Mineral Oil for Cutting Boards
Furniture Clinic believes in maintaining its high standards by enriching its already high-end ingredient list with Vitamin E to ensure more practical usage. The mineral oil used by us hydrates your wood and seals ridges to ensure no more cracking and damage to the board. Furniture Clinic specializes in producing easy to use DIY (Do It Yourself) repair products for materials such as leather, wood, and fabric, which is an assurance for complete protection or restoration of the Butcher Block’s original look.
This Mineral oil was reviewed, evaluated, and rigorously tested by the experienced and highly skilled material engineers and scientists at the Good Housekeeping Institute, after which it has been given the honor of labeling the Good Housekeeping seal on the product container.
- Available in 8.5 oz and 17 oz sized containers
- FDA approved mineral oil
- Easy to use DIY repair product
- USP mineral oil for food-safe contact
- Good Housekeeping sealed
- Not for consumption. It is designed specifically for protecting wooden boards.
- Absorption into the cutting board is doubtful.
10. Watco 241758 Butcher Block Oil & Clear Finish
Specially manufactured for butcher block usage and enables a hassle-free, easy to use, and convenient application procedure. Once applied onto the surface, it takes 2 hours to dry away completely and is ready for use after approximately 72 hours. The application of this oil protects the Butcher’s Block from the insides while enhancing and enriching the glow, color, and vibrancy from the outsides. It constitutes tested nontoxic substances that make food prepared on the block absolutely safe for consumption once it has dried.
The coating that this butcher block oil provides beats mini wax poly by miles and provides almost permanent waterproofing capabilities. After applying the prepared oil, water will slide off the top, without any chance of any water flowing towards the wood’s insides. Hop on to Amazon to see photographs by customers before and after using this oil; the difference will startle you.
- Safe for food contact
- Easy wipe on and application
- Diverse uses – Wooden countertops, bowls, wooden cups, etc
- Complies by government standards of 21 CFR 175. 300
- Unique bottle size of 473 ml (full pint)
- The scent is long-lasting and does not completely vanish for weeks.
- More than 3 coats can leave a sticky film that won’t even dry in 4 to 5 days.
11. Waterlox Original Sealer – best butcher block sealer
This is one of its kind oil due to its ingredient composition, which consists of various Mineral Spirits, Tung Oil, Ester Gum, Phenolic Resin, and Linseed Oil. Formulated such that it is a traditional interior penetrating tung oil sealer, which produces a protective yet elastic finish against moisture, foot traffic, and common household spills. This one quart can cover a total area of 125 square feet per coat. Whether you use exotic woods like oily teak, dense ipe, or rosewood, you are assured exceptional adhesion. Although it becomes non-toxic only when completely dry.
Waterlox has had this product on its’ for sale’ shelf since 1910, and now it has completed 110 years. This speaks volumes about its reliability and effectiveness as people from different classes, over a century, have used this to clean, furnish and coat surfaces of all kinds.
- Perfect for porous interior surfaces
- The overall weight of 2.1 pounds, which is really low
- Lesser scent issues due to various mineral spirits
- Light brown liquid makes it a perfect color match for Butcher Blocks.
- Within 24 hours, scent drastically reduces
- Prolonged usage can lead to nerve and brain damage.
- Fatal and life-threatening if swallowed.
Factors to consider while buying butcher block oil
When purchasing a Butcher Block oil or conditioner, many factors must be considered to ensure no issues post-consumption, application, or containing the oil. If you purchase a new oil and immediately start chopping vegetables or meat after cleaning, you can suffer from severe stomach issues and fatal diseases if the package said ‘Use 24 hours after cleaning’. Being aware of its actual uses, application instructions, quantity to be applied, and ingredients included are more important than keeping your board clean. Here are a few factors one must consider while buying the best butcher block sealer to achieve the best butcher block finish.
Most of these oils come with a long and detailed application process that should be carefully read to achieve ideal results and prevent any harm to the user. The oil needs to be warmed either in an oven or over the gas for a couple of minutes and then mixed with a little water or other specified ingredients. If this application process is not followed as mentioned, there can have fatal personal consequences or even permanent damage to your butcher block.
Usually, the oil comprises beeswax, vitamin E, mineral oil, and coconut oil. But sometimes, there are added ingredients to lower the viscosity of the fluid or increase effectiveness. Ensure that none of these added ingredients can harm the specific type of wood you are cleaning. Also, make sure you have no allergies to them.
No point in buying a gallon or more of even the best butcher block oil as it may expire, spill or prove to be not the right match for your cutting board and other equipment. This would lead to a waste of money and oil in general.
FDA and NSF approved
Making sure that the Food and Drug Association approves your butcher block oil is an absolute must. You or your guests do not want to catch diseases or fall ill due to consuming inedible liquids while preparing food. Also, make sure that there is a mention of NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) approval somewhere on the box or product description. If not, then do not hesitate to ask for a copy of their certification, as it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
If you have already invested in a Butcher’s Block, then it a must to maintain its original look and keep it not only usable but also in an appealing condition. Butcher Block Oil can have many applications, from cleaning cutting boards to storage barrels, wooden boxes, and even wooden tables, chairs, and cups. Searching for the best butcher block oil can be a daunting task, but you would have achieved the required clarity to help you make a decision when you read this review and buying guide. You can say it is also a mandatory requirement for people who really care about the aesthetics of their equipment, appliances, and furniture.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Butcher’s Block Oil?
Butcher’s block Oil is a liquid that must be applied to clean your Butcher’s Block or cutting board as and when you are done using it. The oil has common ingredients such as coconut oil, beeswax, and pure grade mineral oil, which, when conglomerated and applied, provide a shiny, glossy, and enriching effect. The best butcher block oil helps maintain the elegance and revive the actual glow present on your wood the day you purchased it. It also prevents water and soapy fluids from seeping into the base and weakening the wood fibers.
What is Butcher Block Conditioner?
Butcher Block Conditioner is an extra layer applied to countertops and cutting boards after successfully applying the Butcher’s Block oil. It helps provide an additional layer to protect the oil coating and plays a vital role in maintaining the sheen design and preventing cracks. Most importantly, the conditioner helps protect the wood by guarding the mineral oil inside the wood and restricting moisture entry. The use is very similar to that of hair conditioner.
What is the difference between Butcher Block Oil and Conditioner?
Butcher block oil is the first layer that is applied to countertops and cutting boards; they provide the initial glow and brightening of colors, which revitalizes the vintage look. Butcher block conditioner is the second layer, which is optional and is usually applied to achieve a more rustic and refined finish, which is advocated by a sharper sheen. Butcher block oil does not land up wearing off and does not need to be reapplied frequently, but the conditioner pretty often loses its touch and needs to be reapplied.
Last update on 2021-02-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API