If an option existed, would you choose to cook for your family at home or eat out? As a restaurateur, do you prefer having an in-house kitchen or preparing customer meals at another location? Did you know that cooking affects indoor air quality? Read on to find out the best downward vent for your home or business.
Ignoring the heat source, every time you prepare a meal, your action results in a release of pollutants such as carbon monoxide and formaldehyde. Besides, when heating cooking fat, oil, and other ingredients, unhealthy pollutants permeate the air. If left uncontrolled, these and other gases can be harmful to people and animals.
Anyone getting exposed to these elements, plus the health of everyone in your household, or eating establishment, is at risk. Poorly ventilated kitchens are leading causes of nausea, fatigue, headache, and nasal irritation. By installing a highly efficient downdraft vent, you provide a way out for steam, grease, and smoke.
When integrated with your cooktops, downward draft ventilation systems pull the polluted air out, leaving the cooking space aerated and safe. At the same time, the vent remains out of view and does not obstruct meal preparation.
Best Downdraft Vent Hood Reviews
1. FOTILE JQG7501 30″ Range Hood – best downdraft vent hood
The FOTILE JQG7501 30″ Range Hood features a side-draft design that draws fumes to an air inlet. A baffle plate automatically opens at a right angle to cover a space of up to 6 square feet. Dual motors on the equipment generate a powerful suction force. Its noise level is very reasonable.
More so, you have the option of three-speed settings from the touch screen on the control panel. When residual fumes occur, a unique sensor in the unit detects and removes them before shutting down. A screen lock function allows you to clean the equipment’s surface without turning it on by accident.
A tray containing an air filter separates grease from fumes. It has an efficiency of 92 percent and is removable. The receptacle is wide enough to cover all four burners. You can either install this hood under a kitchen cabinet or mount it on the wall.
The FOTILE JQG7501’s oil filter is easily removable for cleaning, but you do not need to clean it often. A bright light spanning up to six feet ensures that you maintain a visual of all ingredients during food preparation.
- Quiet operation with no annoying sounds
- Easy and straightforward installation
- Powerful suction that pulls out all emissions from the kitchen
- It fits perfectly on kitchen cabinets with no modifications needed.
- Fashionable design that gives your kitchen a modern look
- The unit does not come with the accessories required for wall mounting. You must buy them separately.
- Difficult to disassemble for cleaning and maintenance.
2. FOTILE JQG7502.G 30″ Range Hood – best downdraft range
The FUTILE JQG7502.G 30’’ Range Hood has a baffle plate that remains open at 90 degrees, helping prevent odors from spreading. It has a six square foot range for enhanced cooking fumes filtration resulting in improved airflow.
This range hood comes equipped with three levels of speed settings to match your desired cooking style. A memory function helps you save your preferences. The equipment has a grease tray with a 92 percent efficiency in separating grease and cooking fumes. Besides, you can easily remove the receptacle together with the filter during cleaning.
A ventilation hood that slants at 45 degrees provides a large surface area to suck grease and fumes. The smoke intake area is wide enough, leaving no room for escape as the FOTILE JQG7502.G 30″ Range Hood covers multi-burner stoves.
The unit comes with a folding oil filter and a large oil cup design. Both aspects provide for ease of removal and less cleaning frequency.
- A bright light that allows you to see the ingredients in your cooking pots
- Large enough to cover cookers with four or more burners
- Has touch buttons as opposed to a touch display
- It has a 95 percent oil filtration efficiency and 97 percent odor reduction that leaves your kitchen odor-free
- The baffle plate stays open all the time, even long after you have finished cooking.
- It does not allow a user to wipe the inside as there is no opening, plus the manufacturer forbids it.
- The cover does not retract even when the unit is not in use.
3. Nutone 273003 30-inch Stainless Steel Island Range Hood
The Nutone 273003 dimensions include a width of 30 inches, a height of 29.5 inches, and a two-inch depth. It comes with an innovative design where the unit stays in a flush position. A sliding blower component discharges to the left, right, and down. It also provides for ease of installation. An intake area, 28 inches wide, can remove fumes and grease from cooktops that stretch as wide as 30 inches.
Also, the unit has a neat style that complements any cooker. A button on the side enables you to utilize the kitchen hood. On pressing the button, the canopy rises or recedes. More so, it comes with an inconspicuous but reachable speed control button on the side. The size is suitable for all kitchen cabinets.
Installation for this type of best downward draft vent requires that you mount it under the counter. The front access panel is easy to clean, plus it has an interior blower. Besides, you can remove the filter, clean it, and take it back.
- It saves you space as it fits perfectly in kitchen cabinets.
- No kitchen improvements needed to accommodate the unit
- Easy to install thanks to an understandable user manual and non-complicated parts
- It comes with a neat electric cord that only requires you to plug in and start using.
- A telescopic fan and a blower enhance smoke and grease removal efficiency.
- Noisy during operation
- No grease trap, grease accumulates and pours out from the device.
4. BV Stainless Steel Range Hood
The equipment comes with dual motors that generate an 860 CFM airflow that takes away grease and smoke. It also features bright LED lights that brighten-up your cooking space while also enhancing food preparation safety. Stainless steel baffle filter plates provide for ease of removal during cleaning. Moreover, you can wash them in a dishwasher together with your household utensils.
Speed control for this range hood is via electronic buttons that yield an option of three speeds. It comes with five push control buttons for light (one button), fan speed (three buttons), and turning the unit on and off (one button). Each button pressed has a beep sound as proof that the setting is in place.
Besides, its high-powered fans provide high suction of cooking odors and steam. Removing the fan for cleaning is not complicated. Thanks to the stainless-steel body, the equipment can withstand impact, plus it does not pick scratches easily. A set of ventilation panels on the unit slope towards the rear. This design aspect helps create a smooth flow of grease or oil towards a collection tray.
- The unit blends into your kitchen’s design without being obtrusive.
- It comes with hardware to aid the user with the installation.
- Has a quiet operation on both high and low settings
- Easy to use with five buttons for different modes of operation
- LED lights are very dim and do not illuminate the cooking area as expected
- The fan and light control buttons are a bit difficult to operate.
- The filters rust quickly.
5. GE PP9830DJBB 30 Inch Smoothtop Electric Cooktop – best downdraft electric cooktop
The cooktop combines venting and cooking elements in one area. It features central locking that helps protect users against activating the elements unintendedly. Indicator lights let you know whether the parts are hot or not. Simultaneously, an “on” indicator light alerts you whenever you have the equipment in running mode.
On the cooktop is a powerful exhaust system for pulling out steam and smoke while cooking. The unit comes with knob controls that yield a modern look thanks to its convenient location. Also, marked boundaries on the unit act as a guide for laying your pots and pans. You can add a set of tiles on one or both sides for resting hot pots if you like.
The fan on the downward vent has three settings: medium, low, and high. A burner lock alerts you when the unit is turned on, hence guaranteeing safety. Different sizes of burners ensure that you have all your cooking needs covered. Besides, they heat quickly in an aspect that translates to high efficiency.
- Indicator lights that alert you when the elements are on operation mode or hot
- Combines a cooking surface and a downward vent in one unit
- Durable knobs that are also centrally located
- The elements heat fast.
- More power on the fans translates to increased suction of oil and grease.
- Scratches easily, plus it picks stains that are not easy to clean.
- Installation requires modifications to your kitchen surface.
6. GE Profile 30″ Built-In Gas Downdraft Cooktop PGP9830DJBB – best 30 gas cooktop with downdraft
GE Profile 30″ is among the best 30 gas cooktop with downdraft units available. The Built-In Gas Downdraft Cooktop features four multipurpose gas burners. It has a sleek look on kitchen countertops and blends in with any. In the case of spillovers, as often occurs during cooking, you can quickly clean them as the residue stays on the glass top. More so, the unit has a powerful ventilation system that pulls out steam and smoke from your kitchen.
All burners have a seal around them for containment of spillage and quick cleaning. The downward vent cooktop comes with knob controls located at a convenient spot. You can adjust the flame to your satisfaction with ease. An electronic ignition system saves you the agony of having to buy matchboxes or gas lighters.
- It gives an attractive look to your kitchen top.
- Beautiful grates made from cast iron for holding your cooking pots
- It has a flat glass top that is easy to wipe
- The gas burner heats quickly, reducing cooking downtime.
- The unit has fewer pieces that you need to take apart while cleaning.
- Watermarks remain on the glass surface long after washing the unit.
- Grills on the cooktop are too high, forcing you to stretch while handling hot pots and pans.
7. Cosmo QS75 30-in Under-Cabinet Range Hood – best downdraft cooktop
The Cosmo QS75 comes with a backlit touchscreen plus a remote-control kit with a range of 20-25 feet. It has a great look with rounded corners and clean lines. It comes with non-replaceable filters that are easy to clean in a dishwasher.
LED lights on the canopy emit bright light, providing added visibility in well-lit and poorly lit spaces. Once the bulbs run out, you can always replace them. It also features powerful fans with a choice of four speeds for varied suction depending on what you are cooking. Levels one and two are the only ones you will need.
The unit mounts under kitchen cabinets but above your cooker. The best downdraft cooktop hoods have a reputation for quietness. Cosmo QS75 does not disappoint. It runs quietly, meaning you can listen to the TV or music from the adjacent room or chat with someone comfortably. Thanks to its streamlined styling, you will have an easy time cleaning this equipment. At the same time, rounded corners on the unit help minimize the chances of scraping your head.
- It has excellent suction.
- Touch screen not affected by wetness on the panel or grease accumulation
- No rattling of fans during operation
- Permanent filters that require no future replacement
- Straightforward functions, no need to keep referring to the user manual
- Installation is not as easy as the equipment is heavy and requires assistance from a second or third person.
- Requires one to make modifications to the top kitchen cabinet before mounting.
8. Broan Elite Rangemaster RMDD3004 30″ Downdraft Ventilation System – best pop up downdraft vent
Broan Elite is easily one of the best pop up downdraft vent equipment available. This downward draft ventilation system has a compact design that allows it to fit behind your cooktop. Its thin profile ensures that you save some space beneath your cabinets.
A 9 ½ inch chimney height, when fully activated, provides enough surface area for suction of grease and smoke from large cooking utensils. Blower speed adjustment is via an adjustable control knob situated at a convenient place. Besides, you have the option of using a remote-control device.
A heat sensor triggers an automatic adjustment to the blower speed from slow to high or high to low. The heat sentry can detect when the heat from a cooking activity is too high and causes the blower to respond appropriately. This aspect helps cushion the equipment from damage occasioned by high temperatures and drastic heat variations. To install the unit, you need a duct space of 3 ¼ inches by 10 inches.
Its filters are dishwasher compliant, plus they do not pose challenges during removal when you need to clean or carry out maintenance.
- Easy installation thanks to its compact design
- It comes with a permanently lubricated motor.
- Well balanced blower wheel that yields a quiet performance
- It gives the cooking area a stylish look.
- The vent is not tall enough, and it does not catch all the smoke.
- Noisy when the blower is running at high speed.
9. Cosmo 5MU30 30-in Under-Cabinet Range Hood – best electric cooktops with downdraft
The Cosmo 5MU30 Range Hood drew our attention as one of the best electric cooktops with downdraft ventilation features. It has a slim design, and you can use it either as a top or back vent. Depending on your preference, you can install the unit under a kitchen cabinet or flush with the wall. Both its fan and motor run quietly but yield high suction power.
Five control buttons at the center of the panel perform a variety of tasks. A section of these consoles helps in managing the blower speed, while others operate the lights. Another control button is for turning the unit on or off. Two LED lights illuminate your food preparation area, allowing you to stay on track while cooking. For trapping oil and grease, the equipment has reusable mesh filters. More so, the filters are multilayered hence increasing grease trapping efficiency.
- It comes with a ductless option.
- Pre-drilled holes that help simplify installation.
- It has an enclosed underside, and you cannot see the inside.
- The unit comes with a plug for immediate connection to the mains supply.
- Easy to remove panels, which helps save time during cleaning and maintenance
- Loose pushbuttons that give the equipment a cheap look
- Weak fan resulting in inefficient air suction.
10. KitchenAid KCGD506GSS – best 36 gas cooktop with downdraft
KitchenAid produces some of the best 36 gas cooktops with downdraft equipment. The one we reviewed features a five-burner cooktop with a downdraft ventilation shaft. A continuous mesh on the grates helps save users from burns. It features a versatile fan with three speeds that you can utilize for different cooking needs.
Burner design makes the cooker ideal for cooking methods that require a high temperature. Also, the unit has a diffuser plate for flame control resulting in well-prepared food. No restrictions exist on where you should place the cooker in the kitchen.
Installing the cooktop does not involve much. You can have dinner cooking a few hours after getting the cooktop in place. Cleaning the stovetop is easy as you only need to lift the grate, clean, and place it back.
Also, the unit utilizes both electronic and automatic re-ignition technologies that light burners via an electric spark. Moreover, if the wind blows out the flame, the system relights the stove.
- Big knobs that help with ease of flame intensity control
- It has an isolated burner that is ideal for large cooking pots and pans.
- The unit can use LP gas.
- Downward ventilation that either takes smoke outside or filters and recirculates it inside
- Grates that enhance the visual appeal of the cooktop while also facilitating the movement of pots and pans on the surface
- Knob controls yield a poor performance by not reducing the flame as expected.
- Flames leave soot residue on burner tops and the grate.
Factors to consider while buying the best downdraft vent hood
Whether you are designing the kitchen during construction or buying an existing unit, ventilation must be on point. Cooking releases odors, grease, and smoke. Without an efficient way of venting these emissions, using the kitchen becomes a nightmare. You need a powerful ventilation system that extracts and keeps air in the kitchen fresh.
Read on and learn from our best downdraft vent buying guide before your next visit to the seller.
Downdraft vents are standard in instances where overhead ventilation is not viable. Usually, they install behind cooktops and have their width matching that of conventional cooktops. The blower sits below the counter while the vent rises several inches over the cooktop. During suction, downdraft ventilation systems pull the emission downwards before releasing it outside. The best downdraft range features options such as stand-alone ventilation systems or ductless hoods.
Terms Used In The Industry
While shopping for a downdraft vent, you will come across some new words. You must know what they refer to lest you get confused. The blower or fan takes air into a duct through filters before getting it outside. A damper act as a stopper that prevents the ventilation system from sucking in air from outside the kitchen. It kicks in as soon as you switch off the fan. A duct or pipe is the conduit or passage for air from the cooking area to the outside. Filters take in or absorb the grease.
Compare options, think beyond the price.
Cheaper models may come with features such as vented hoods, or they could be ductless. Perhaps you will have task lighting as a bonus. Nothing wrong here if the vented hood does not work overtime to push smoke and odors through long ducts. Check for the fan’s power; it is an important aspect. Lighting matters a lot, and you must ponder whether to shoot for a unit that uses LED or halogen bulbs. Hoods with LED bulbs are in the pricey range, but you get brighter light and a better effect.
Control knobs and sound level
Using a ventilator should come with ease. For controls, focus on their appearance and placement on the equipment. At the same time, some units have a remote-control device. Weigh your options vis a vis your preferences. Regarding the sound, you would want a kitchen hood that operates noiselessly. Where you cannot avoid it, consider an acceptable level.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does A Downdraft Vent Work?
Simple, you connect your stove to a device that will suck smoke, odors, and fumes from food preparation. The exhaust air then goes down a pipe installed underneath the cooker before being released into the atmosphere. All this movement takes place with the help of a fan. Elsewhere, the machine also has a vent for dissipating the fumes. Downdraft vents are stylish in nature and compact. Besides, you can place the cooktop anywhere in the kitchen. You need no adjustments to accommodate the unit. Also, such cooktops are easy to clean. Steam, smoke, and odors go downward, meaning no buildups as would be the case in overhead hoods.
What Does Downward Ventilation Mean?
While upward venting systems are highly effective, the design of your kitchen may not allow. In that case, downward ventilation becomes the only option. Our review has featured some of the best downdraft electric cooktop kitchen hoods that use suction to effectively clear smoke, odors, and grease. Downdrafts remain unobtrusive, and the vent only rises when you switch on the system. In some models, the vent does not move upwards or downwards. It forms a part of the cooker. To understand the effectiveness of these systems, you must know how they work. They pull air and oil from the cooking area, passes it through filters and into a pipe beneath a cabinet.
How Do You Install A Downward Vent?
The best downdraft gas cooktop, as well as electric variants, come with a user manual. To install, you must follow the instructions given by the equipment manufacturer. In equipment such as the microwave, its exhaust system is built-in and self-cleaning. However, cooktops release exhaust into the air within a room. If you do not find a way of getting this air out, other problems will arise. As you are aware, a stuffy kitchen is very uncomfortable. Besides, smoke from food preparation will permeate into other rooms leaving a lingering odor everywhere. If you do not ventilate your cooktop, smoke and grease will stain all cabinets near the burner. The same situation applies to the ceiling.
What Is A Downdraft Vent?
Apart from smoke and fumes from food, cooking stoves emit carbon monoxide, an odorless but poisonous air. You need a system that will pull such emissions as fast as possible and take them out of the kitchen. A downdraft vent uses a fan’s suction to draw the smoke and air from a cooking area. It then directs it down a shaft.
Having reviewed ten top downdraft vents, one would find it difficult to choose. Fortunately, by examining the features that stand out, picking the best downdraft vent need not be difficult. Go for the one whose motor runs with less noise or none. Installing the unit must not involve a complicated task. Maintenance and cleaning also count; if you need an expert to do it, then procuring the equipment is not wise.
For us, the FOTILE JQG7502.G 30″ Range Hood won the best downward vent hood award. It has a 95 percent efficiency in dealing with grease removal. Also, smoke and fume removal stood at 97 percent. We liked the touch buttons and the large surface area it has for suction of kitchen emissions. The KitchenAid KCGD506GSS 36 5 Burner grabbed our attention in the gas stove category. We liked the innovation where the flame relights after wind or a user blows it off.