A cut off wheel is a disc-shaped piece of equipment that is extremely thin in terms of structure. The benefits of this cutting wheel can be used in multiple domains, namely, gardening, construction industry, repair and building of household equipment. The external circumference of the best cut off wheels should consist of rigid radial fibers that survive through rigorous activity and heavy metal items, this also brings about added sharpness to quickly and smoothly slice through diverse materials. The best cut off wheels for metal, aluminum or cast iron must have a 1:100 disc thickness to disc diameter ratio to generate the perfect amount of power.
Depending on the application of the cut off wheel, relevant purchases must be made. If it’s for construction and structuring reasons, then buying a high-end material cutting wheel proves unworthy. Rather look for a wheel with constant abrasive teeth throughout its edges and not bonded teeth grains, so as to ensure there is a lower probability of the teeth to chip off midway during a task. But if you want to purchase a cutting wheel for basic garage usage then look for vitrified bonding of the grits to the wheel, this provides a decent RPM of about 5000-6500 surface feet per minute. Keep reading to discover the best cutoff wheels for stainless steel, aluminum, fiberglass, metal, etc.
Table of Contents
- Best Cut Off Wheels Review
- 1.Cutting Wheel Stainless Steel SATC – Best cut off wheel for stainless steel
- 2. KSEIBI 50 Pack 646004 – Best cut off wheels for metal
- 3. BA 50 Pack Quality Thin Cut Off Wheels
- 4. OCM Brand Power-Flex 50 Pack – Best cut off wheel for fiberglass
- 5. Makita 10 Pack – 4.5’’ Cut off Wheels for Grinders
- 6. Black Hawk Arbor – Best cut off wheel for aluminum
- 7. Workpro 20 pack Cut Off wheels – best cut off wheels for angle grinder
- 8. ABN 3 inches Metal Cut Off Blade – Best cut off wheel for Dremel
- 9. Metabo Slicer Cut Off Wheel – Best cut off wheel for cast iron
- 10. Lenox Tools Cutting Wheel – Best cut off wheel for cast iron
- Factors to consider while buying cut-off wheels
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Cut Off Wheels Review
1.Cutting Wheel Stainless Steel SATC – Best cut off wheel for stainless steel
A 50 discs pack, with each disc having a diameter, metal center and thickness of 4.5 inches, 7/8’’ and 0.040’’ respectively. The above, below and circumference of the cutting wheel have been coated with aluminum oxide grain to enable a more rigid and powerful cutting action due to the resistance and strength of the coating. It is due to its innovative combination of features and materials that this piece of equipment can be used against a diverse range of materials such as copper, iron, steel, plastic, etc.
The manufacturing consistency of the wheels ensures that how many ever products or items with a width of less than 0.5’’ you work on, the blade does not lose its sharpness and continues to perform with the same efficiency. SATC products have a worldwide reputation due to their standards, high quality, and design execution.
- The maximum operating speed of 13,300 RPM
- ISO certified for safety and functionality
- Extremely thin metal – less weight and added strength
- Can be used for versatile materials
- Stainless steel material
- Only flanges with 1/3 of diameter can be used
- Shelf life is less than an average of 3 years.
2. KSEIBI 50 Pack 646004 – Best cut off wheels for metal
KSEIBI’s cutting disc fulfills the important criteria of having a special flange in the center which holds the disc structure and also abides by the “flange is 1/3 of the disc diameter” rule. If you use it on the correct material then KSEIBI advocates very quick stock removal on steel and metal. Once the user wears all required face masks, welding gloves, safety uniforms and equips oneself with all precautions then the brittleness of the cut off wheel can be used to a great extent. Being tension free about disc explosions and just welding your way through your task at hand is what KSEIBI wants their customers to experience, which is why they are hesitant on always wearing required safety gear.
- 04-inch disc ultra-thin that helps execute quickly
- Fiberglass mesh assures longer lifespan
- Premium blade quality ensures lower wear and tear
- Available in packs of 50, 100, 200 and 400
- The engineered design offers longer weather durability
- An extremely slow process which doubles the cutting time – More space for injuries
- Very weak structure and can snap at the easiest of tasks.
3. BA 50 Pack Quality Thin Cut Off Wheels
Benchmark Abrasives uses top-notch aluminum oxide grains for reasons such as obtaining a smooth finish and permitting an in-built stronger cutting technique. Keep in mind that as these are thin wheels, the possibility of disc explosion during use is omnipresent and one must always wear all safety for the eyes, ears, nose, mouth, hands, chest, neck, legs, etc. Expect it to comfortably slice through a 1/8’’ steel piece or even a ¾’’ plate. For its reasonable price, it comes with a tremendous cutting capacity that allows a pack of 50 discs to cut through a ¼’’ carbon steel plate and 500’’ of 3/8’’ carbon steel. BA’s production pipeline inculcates highly refined ingredients to provide an exceptional wheel life with minimal chatter.
- Can achieve an RPM of up to 13,300
- Makes use of the classic cut off size of 4.5’’ X 0.40’’ X 7/8’’
- The coating is made from a patented blend of abrasive materials
- Grains are self-sharpened as and when used
- Improve cost to performance ratio
- Once shattered, their debris is really small in size and spread everywhere
- The thin discs at BA are structurally terrible, purchase the thicker ones.
4. OCM Brand Power-Flex 50 Pack – Best cut off wheel for fiberglass
This would be a top candidate for one of the best cut off wheels available in the market due to its noteworthy features such fiberglass reinforcement, RPM touching up to 20,000 and strength increasing wheel thickness of 1/16’’. Nothing short of an automated sharpening mechanism, this cut off wheel constantly nurtures its edges during activity. The engineering has been innovatively implemented to maintain its quality industry standards and keep tackling the hardest of metal and steel cutting projects. Its dual usable features allow the cut-off wheel to be used with either electric and pneumatic tools and sustains its high cut-rate throughout the product lifecycle.
- 1/16’’ level of thickness allows for resistance to heat build-up
- Fiberglass materials – fiber enforced plastic using glass fiber – permit longer life
- Steel reinforced center flange or ring that provides greater disc durability
- Added mesh provides greater safety and disc power
- Maximum achievable RPM is as high as 20,000 RPM
- Under the wheel sticker, you will find Made in China written
- When the sticker is plucked out, wheel fiber comes out too – making it susceptible to breakage
5. Makita 10 Pack – 4.5’’ Cut off Wheels for Grinders
Usually, immense pressure while cutting causes heat build-up and friction, which increases heat discoloration of the item being worked on. Makita uses its own patented Synthetic Resinoid Bond Matrix which holds together Phenol resin and premium white colored aluminum oxide. This feature permits more stability in handling, cutting and optimal grit tear due to its external coating. The key to increasing this product’s lifespan is not to push the wheel too hard while cutting so that there are lower friction and lower possibility of slippage and loss of control.
Features such as grain grit, bond matrix, and wheel thickness have been formulated while focusing on cutting 3 times more than normal material. This product can be purchased with a pack of 10 wheels that provide an aggressive cutting mechanism, flush cutting mechanism or mixture of both.
- ANSI safety established and O.S.H.A regulations approved
- The maximum attainable operating speed of 13,290
- Compatible with all 4.5’’ angle grinders
- Highly effective and proprietary hard bond matric helps keep the product intact
- Less than 0.1% of Iron, Sulfur or Chlorine – makes it corrosion and rust-free
- Poor quality wheels can break within 30 minutes of basic usage
- Only works for lighter materials, nothing too strenuous.
6. Black Hawk Arbor – Best cut off wheel for aluminum
The circumference of the black hawk cutting wheel remains rigid, strong and unmovable throughout any cutting applications because of the depressed flange situated in the center of the ring. This allows a better hold and makes it a unique choice for slicing and dicing of materials. Weighing only a meager 1.65 pounds, the C45451D cut off wheels are coated with multiple layers of aluminum oxide to permit aggressive cutting actions. This coating has been specifically designed by Black Hawk via the use of special ingredients to increase the effectiveness of the external black coating. If using for cardboard cutting and aluminum designing then you will not find a better buy. This is pretty much the best cut off wheel for aluminum.
- When used on correct materials the disc life extends to 3 times of any ordinary brand
- Fast cutting helps in quicker execution of tasks
- The depressed center gives more hold to the disc when cutting at an aligned angle
- Super thin design to almost eliminate material loss
- Proprietary aluminum oxide grains have been planted
- Blade material runs out within minutes of cutting – material simply sheds away
- Do not cut anything over 0.040’’ thick with this disc.
7. Workpro 20 pack Cut Off wheels – best cut off wheels for angle grinder
Workpro cutting wheels are manufactured using safe and durable materials by using 4 layers of white alundum and corundum for bonding purposes. Over and above this, there is not a single, but a double fiberglass coating that permits advanced cutting of almost all materials along with assured safety. The discs are sized at 3/64th of an inch and are razor-sharp at the same time ensuring there is no loss of disc material during the cutting process. The arbor measuring up to 7/8 of an inch helps to achieve smooth operation even at its maximum operating power of 13,000 RPM.
When purchasing a Workpro cutting wheel, due to its tough abrasive surface and other features, you are guaranteed the best cut off wheel for angle grinder, cast iron or stainless steel
- Bonded with corundum and white alundum grains bonded
- Double fiberglass mesh reinforced coating
- Stainless steel cut off wheel
- Operates at 80m/s while attaining the power of 13,000 RPM
- Smoothly slices through hardened materials such as carbon steel
- The stench of toxic chemicals – may need to be kept in the open to degas
- You can buy a pack of 50 wheels for the same price – though, quality may differ.
8. ABN 3 inches Metal Cut Off Blade – Best cut off wheel for Dremel
Auto Body Now (ABN) is a family company from South Dakota, who supply auto body supplies to people in the Midwest. They have designed a set of cut off blades that work just fine in case of garage work, construction work or even home improvements. Because of the durable aluminum oxide coating, there is prolonged disc longevity and the abundance of them makes it a wise purchase. Boasting an RPM of 20,000, it is probably a top-three candidate for the best cut off wheels in the last decade. The generous arbor size of 3/8 inches and disc thickness of 1/16 of an inch, perfectly syncs in for stability when maximum operating speed is achieved. Whether you want to do sanding, leveling, trimming, cutting or beautification of edges, ABN’s cut off wheel will be of great help.
- Thrashes all other cutting wheels in terms of operating speed – 20,000 RPM
- Aluminum oxide blades and grits unlock precision cutting and longer durability
- 50 blades are enough to trim, level, sand, slice and dice, etc
- Universal versatility in terms of application and compatibility with various brand tools
- Manufacture warranty of 1 year for defects in craftsmanship and materials used
- Terrible packing during delivery usually lands up with damaged discs
- The price difference between this and other 20,000 RPM brands neutralizes via lifespan.
9. Metabo Slicer Cut Off Wheel – Best cut off wheel for cast iron
Metabo’s slicer cutting wheels are made via professional craft smiths in the field of garage, construction and carpentry tools. This product satisfies the classic measurements of cutting discs worldwide – 4.5’’ X 0.040’’ X 7/8’’ and because of complying by these standards, it is also rewarded with a fairly sufficient operating speed of 15,000 RPM. When seen from the naked eye, you will notice that the quality of the cutting wheel is great and it helps cut materials much more aggressively. It may not be the best cutting wheel for cast iron but surely works wonders knowing its center is absolutely flat and has no flange support for overall rigidity.
- Complies with ANSI Code B7.1 / Osha regulations
- Abrasive coating for a longer lifespan
- 100 wheels boxes can last you for ages without any interruption in projects
- Stainless steel material
- An RPM of 15,000 is not bad at all for a cutting wheel of these standards
- Cannot be used on high-speed air or electric sanders
- Over speeding can results in wear and tear, leading to injuries.
10. Lenox Tools Cutting Wheel – Best cut off wheel for cast iron
This product is surely the best cutting wheel for cast iron due to its unique diamond cutting technology. The ridges on the circumference offer a greater amount of penetration when cutting through thick steel, copper or even layers of cast iron. The body of Lenox’s cutting disc has been made of super solid steel to ensure that in the rare event the disc is suffering from structural damage, the user shall be aware in advance. This structural strength when combined with its one a kind diamond cutting technology provides swifter control, precision and cutting power.
- Wheel diameter doesn’t change, however rigorous the cutting project is
- Advanced diamond technology permits 30 times more lifetime
- Dust particles are naturally blown away due to abrasive surface
- Highly solid steel body reduces the risk of breakage and improves productivity
- More than 1000 cuts can be done without changing the wheel.
- Cuts 3 times slower than an ordinary cutting wheel
- Diamond cutting technology has gaps on the circumference which become steaming hot.
Factors to consider while buying cut-off wheels
No worker or ordinary person would want their cutting discs to malfunction or damage the item or product being worked on. To abide by this, one must take into consideration several factors that can influence their style of work, quality of craftsmanship and performance level. There are various cutting wheels like sanding discs, polishing pads, diamond cut off wheels and abrasive grinding wheels that can be used for sharpening surfaces, adding shine, cutting hard materials and edge restoration respectively. Size, price, tapering mechanism, horsepower and temperature resistance are some factors to consider. Besides, you have just one attempt to achieve your desired design or result, you do not want to be messing that up.
Cutting wheel RPM
Generally, a wheel that has been made from high-grade materials must be accompanied with an ability to achieve a higher RPM to make full use of the material quality. Do not purchase a very high RPM rating cut off wheel for mundane tasks such as basic wood slicing and furnishing of items because you may cause unintended and permanent damage to the main structure of the item. Also, do not purchase a low RPM cutting wheel for rigorous tasks such as pole dicing and metal scrubbing as the wheel won’t be able to generate enough power to power through such hard materials.
Suitable abrasive surface
Ensure that your cut off wheel is coated and engineered using high-quality grains. Zirconia Alumina when used, brings out its self-sharpening specialty that naturally chips off edges after a predetermined amount of usage. This permits an elongated life span and a highly consistent flow of cutting. When a disc blade is fully worn, you can simply replace the disc and resume work. Silicon Oxide coating, on the other hand, comes with razor-sharp cutting but can underperform when working on materials that are made of hard steel.
Width to Diameter thickness ratio
It has been proved by product designers and engineers that a 1:100 ratio of the wheel assures more efficiency and the ability to be precise for the task at hand. Researchers have taken reviews from professional cutters and their analysis has concluded that over 76 percent of workers prefer to satisfy this condition. Along with the sustained investment, users of this type of cut off wheel also enjoy optimized performance. And the capability to use the same type of wheel for tasks of different types ranging from simple polishing of garden tables to beautifying tubular pipes that can be seen by passersby.
Frequently Asked Questions
Because cutting wheels suffer from massive amounts of stress and vigorous activity, they are made of different kinds of steel. To maintain the ductility in the core and on hardened surfaces, the wheel undergoes carburizing and nitriding processes. These discs are made up of a mixture of high-quality abrasive grit compounds and a heavy-duty adhesive to ensure that the discs remain thin while also supplying the borders with a fiber lining permitting extra strength. With the passage of time, more and more composites have been aggregated to build the perfect cutting wheels. Expect an abrasive surface made of diamond, ceramic, silicon carbide or even aluminum oxide. This depends on the kind of cut off wheel you buy. If the center of the wheel is a tiny screw with no extra reinforcements then even a little extra pressure will cause it to break. But the best cut off wheel for fiberglass would have a spring holder in the center which reinforces its strength and thus lasts for over a period of 2-3 years. Also, many wheels come with a 3-year guarantee which says ‘there is no possibility of wear and tear unless used for a task that requires a different kind of cut off wheel’. A Dremel cut off wheel comes with a much smaller disc that is attached to a special mandrel. Also, the abrasive coating present on the disc is made for resisting damage during working on hardened steel. You can attach Dremel dill bits of various sizes according to your task at hand. Once you slice to attain your design then the grinding cylinder attached to the Dremel can be used to smoothen the edges of the carved metallic design. Dremel tools can be used to literally cut anything so you must ensure to buy the best cut off wheel for Dremel.
What are cutting wheels made of?
How long do cut off wheels last?
How to use Dremel cut off wheels?
Because cutting wheels suffer from massive amounts of stress and vigorous activity, they are made of different kinds of steel. To maintain the ductility in the core and on hardened surfaces, the wheel undergoes carburizing and nitriding processes. These discs are made up of a mixture of high-quality abrasive grit compounds and a heavy-duty adhesive to ensure that the discs remain thin while also supplying the borders with a fiber lining permitting extra strength. With the passage of time, more and more composites have been aggregated to build the perfect cutting wheels. Expect an abrasive surface made of diamond, ceramic, silicon carbide or even aluminum oxide.
This depends on the kind of cut off wheel you buy. If the center of the wheel is a tiny screw with no extra reinforcements then even a little extra pressure will cause it to break. But the best cut off wheel for fiberglass would have a spring holder in the center which reinforces its strength and thus lasts for over a period of 2-3 years. Also, many wheels come with a 3-year guarantee which says ‘there is no possibility of wear and tear unless used for a task that requires a different kind of cut off wheel’.
A Dremel cut off wheel comes with a much smaller disc that is attached to a special mandrel. Also, the abrasive coating present on the disc is made for resisting damage during working on hardened steel. You can attach Dremel dill bits of various sizes according to your task at hand. Once you slice to attain your design then the grinding cylinder attached to the Dremel can be used to smoothen the edges of the carved metallic design. Dremel tools can be used to literally cut anything so you must ensure to buy the best cut off wheel for Dremel.
Having equipment as such always comes in handy, whether for an emergency door opening scenario or cutting wood for making your dog’s kennel. Keep in mind, that buying a single cut off wheel is not feasible and purchasing a set of 10-20 is a wiser choice because you can conveniently replace the wheel once worn out. If you just hobble about into the store, the number of options will confuse you. Which is why, read the above reviews again and help yourself choose a perfect grinding wheel, that suits your – price range, operating speed, choice of material and safety mechanism.
Last update on 2020-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API