Mowing the lawn is a task that few people look forward to. No matter your skill or appreciation of landscaping, lawn mowing can be quite a dreary and tedious task. Thankfully though, numerous improvements have been made to traditional lawnmowers. Today, the best commercial walk behind mower for the money reviews proves that, indeed, mowing is more comfortable now than it has ever been.
From gas-powered lawnmowers to corded ones and even battery-powered mowers, you are spoilt for choice when it comes to picking a mower for your yard. Many modern mowers even have a self-propelling mechanism that makes it incredibly easy to maneuver your yard. You also don’t need to look far to find mowers whose height can be easily adjusted to suit your every mowing need.
But how do you know which mower best suits your needs? A detailed review of the best lawn mowers is a high starting point to help you choose the most appropriate mower for yourself. Let’s dive into in-depth reviews of the top ten best commercial walk behind mowers for the money.
Best Commercial Walk-Behind Mower Reviews
1. Honda 662300 21 in. GCV200 – best commercial walk behind mower for the money
Honda is a big name in manufacturing and is known for making some of the best cars, motorcycles, and yes, even lawnmowers. This particular product makes a constant appearance on the best commercial walk behind mower reviews. The mower is gas-powered and has a mighty engine, which is nothing short of what we expect of a Honda product. A powerful GCV200 engine ensures that you use fuel efficiently to maximize your investment.
One thing that stands out about this mower is that it comes with MicroCut Twin blades. Why is this important, you ask? Well, this particular technology ensures that the mower gives your lawn an excellent cut. If you are looking to be the envy of your neighbors, then this is undoubtedly the product to buy.
A big issue with most gas-powered lawnmowers is that they are hard to start. You don’t have to worry about this with the Honda MicroCut mower, as it has an auto-choke system that automatically starts the engine. Talk about convenience!
- The mower’s powerful engine makes it great for cutting thick grass and brush.
- It comes with a huge bag that does not need to be emptied frequently.
- You can easily adjust the speed of the mower using its Select Drive Control system.
- You get the most out of your fuel as the engine is maximized for efficiency.
- The mower has a self-propel feature that makes it the best commercial walk behind mower for hills.
- The mower is gas-powered, which means you have to contend with fumes that could be dangerous for your health.
- The mower is challenging to maneuver near obstacles, shrubbery, or landscaping features.
[amazon fields=”B07QDHX7M1″ value=”button”]
2. Snapper XD 82V MAX – best commercial 21 walk behind mower
If you are looking for convenience with lawn mowing, look no further than this cordless lawnmower. First, it is a cordless, battery-powered mower. This means no stressful wires or nauseating fumes while you mow. Secondly, it means 45 minutes of uninterrupted mowing, or 90 minutes if you use the extra battery that comes with the mower. Great, isn’t it?
But it gets even better. The mower has a smart load- sensing feature. What this means for you is that the mower will dissipate energy depending on the toughness of the task at hand, with absolutely no input from your part. What spells bliss better than this?
The mowing deck for this mower measures 21”, which means that you have a reasonably wide cutting path. It is the best commercial 21 walk behind the mower. It is also made of steel, which is resistant to rust and other damage. If it is durability you are after, then this is the mower for you.
- The Snapper mower is exceptionally convenient to use thanks to its long battery life.
- The height of the mower is adjustable, so you get just the right cut on your lawn.
- The batteries charge fast, so you can resume mowing if your yard is large.
- The mower is friendly to the environment because it uses electricity, a clean energy source that does not cause pollution like gas.
- The mower is durable because of its stainless steel mowing deck.
- The lawnmower is a tad too loud for a battery-powered mower.
- The control levers on the mower are not ergonomic because they are placed below the push bar. You must first let go of the bar with one hand to adjust them.
[amazon fields=”B01IY813XC” value=”button”]
3. Earthquake 28463 M205 – best walk behind rough cut mower
The Earthquake lawn mower is well known for its sturdy to make and elegant design. One of the things you are bound to love about this mower is its strength. The mower has one set of 14” wheels, but don’t let that fool you into believing that it is not powerful. It cuts through the toughest and tallest of weeds like a hot knife cutting through butter.
This powerful machine works perfectly well on all terrains thanks to its 1500cc engine. Its metallic ball head makes it ideal for working in tight areas, and it will get even the most intimidating of weeds. The deck reduces vibration, which is perfect considering the perfect terrain for this machine.
The string mower has a 22″ cutting path, so you can expect it to work fast and smoothly. It is also surprisingly quiet for a mower of its strength, which is quite an advantage. If you are looking for a solution to stubborn weeds, you simply must try this mower. It is the best walk behind a rough cut mower.
- It comes assembled, so all you have to do is get it out of the box and start mowing.
- The metallic ball head makes this mower highly durable.
- Works particularly well on rough terrains that other mowers might not be able to get to.
- It comes with a 5- year warranty as a mark of quality.
- The handlebar can be easily folded to save on storage space.
- Optimized for taller grass and weeds, so it might not work well on shorter growth.
- The mower can be quite challenging to maneuver as it is quite heavy.
[amazon fields=”B0757TSK3N” value=”button”]
4. Black+ Decker Lawn Mower – best commercial walk behind lawn mower
The Black+ Decker is easily one of the best corded walk-behind lawnmowers. While the wires can be quite a nuisance, there is little else to complain about this mower. And on the bright side, a corded mower means that you don’t have to stop mowing and wait for a battery to recharge when it runs out, as is the case with battery-powered mowers.
The mower has a 20″ wide mowing deck, which is a decent size. It also comes with 13 Gallon collecting bags, making it easier to clean after yourself while you mow. Better yet, it has a 7 setting height adjustment feature that lets you determine just how short you cut your grass.
Lawnmowers tend to be challenging to navigate around obstacles such as trees or flowerbeds. More often than not, you may be tempted to leave the edges unattended simply because they are too hard to deal with. This is a problem you won’t encounter this lawnmower. Thanks to its Edge max technology, you can easily maneuver around obstacles to get the clean look you want.
- You can easily adjust all four wheels of the mower with one touch of a button.
- The mower is ergonomically designed with the height adjustment levers at the top of the bar.
- Mow around landscaping features with ease thanks to Edge Max technology.
- The mower is easy to assemble, even for those with little experience with such equipment.
- The handle has two different sizes that you can adjust according to your height for easy use.
- The mower is made of cheap plastic parts that are not long-lasting.
- The motor of the mower wears with little use that may require quick replacement.
[amazon fields=”B00NO4RP1G” value=”button”]
5. Ego 21 in. 56-Volt Lithium-ion – best commercial walk behind mower for hills
As far as cordless mowers are concerned, Ego’s product certainly deserves a place among the best. It weighs 63 lbs. without the battery and 69 lbs. when you include the battery. The package comes with a battery, a bag, and a charger in addition to the mower.
One of the key features of this mower is its self-propel mechanism, driven by the rear wheels. This means that you just push buttons on the handlebar and watch the machine drive itself. It is very advantageous to mow up a hill, where pushing a heavy machine can be quite tedious. Simply put, it is the best commercial walk behind a mower for hills.
The mower comes with headlights for mowing at night. Nightfall is really no reason to postpone your mowing to the following day. With this machine, you can continue until you are done.
The battery on this machine also charges quite fast, which is really a massive relief for those with huge yards. The mower also has a battery-saving feature that enables you to continue mowing for longer. Talk about convenience!
- Excellent torque on the mower, which makes mowing a delight.
- Battery saving feature to ensure that you keep going for long.
- The rear-drive self-propel feature is making uphill, mowing a walk in the park.
- Well- designed mower with easy to operate buttons on the handlebar.
- Headlights that only switch on at night help you save energy and mow easily at night.
- Handles are too long, which can be quite an inconvenience, especially if you are short.
- The mower has abysmal battery indicators that only warn you of a low battery when it reaches 15%.
[amazon fields=”B07CYSTJVN” value=”button”]
6. Craftsman M215 159cc – best wide area walk behind mower
This product of Craftsman is a great gas-powered walk-behind lawnmower. There is a lot to love about it. First, it has high wheels whose height can be adjusted to suit different terrains. If you have ever had to deal with a stuck lawnmower, this is a feature that you will undoubtedly appreciate.
Secondly, the mower has a 3- in- 1 function, which means that you can use either bag, mulch, or dispose of the mowed grass depending on your needs. You can also vary the mower’s speed by the touch of a button, which is quite nice.
The front and rear wheels are differently sized to make the mower easy to maneuver. The front wheel is 7″ while the back wheel is 11″ in diameter. The mower deck is 21,” which makes it the best wide area walk behind mower for a perfect cut width.
- You can easily vary the speed of the mower to your utmost convenience.
- The lawnmower is light, thus making it easier to move around your yard.
- Adjustable height of the wheels to suit various terrains.
- It is gas-powered, so you don’t have to worry about power interruptions as you mow.
- Different- sized wheels with a self-propel mechanism for more straightforward navigation.
- The mowers are prone to fuel blockage that can be rather frustrating.
- Some mowers come with defective parts, such as a twisted rear wheel adjustment that makes it hard to change the wheels’ height.
[amazon fields=”B07NW9JR3D” value=”button”]
7. Lawn-Boy 17734 – best commercial self-propelled walk behind mower
This Lawn Boy lawn mower is also a quality product from a respectable company. It is a gas-powered mower that has an electric start. This means that unlike other fuel-powered mowers that require you to choke them to start, with this mower, you simply turn an electric key, and the mower rows to life.
The lawnmower is made to surpass the State of California’s standards, so you needn’t worry about being on the wrong side of the law with this machine. It has a gross torque of 6.5, which is quite commendable and an indicator of a good cutting machine.
The mower deck is 21 inches wide and is made of stainless steel, so durability is guaranteed with this product. It has a self-propel feature that lets you relax every so often from active mowing, making it the best commercial self-propelled walk-behind mower. Overall, this is a quality product that you will greatly love.
- It quickly starts with an electric key, thus making it very convenient.
- It is suited for large yards thanks to its commercial-grade certification.
- It has a huge collecting bag that is easy to attach.
- The mower has a side- discharge feature that quickly gets rid of cut grass without a fuss.
- The machine comes with a 3- year warranty commitment, so you can return it if it is defective.
- The machine has no reverse feature, which means to mow backward, you have to drag it with you. It is quite heavy, so this is tiring.
- The mower is powered by gasoline, which is unclean to the environment and can be harmful to your personal health.
[amazon fields=”B00H8GLQ2U” value=”button”]
8. Greenworks 20-Inch 40V Twin Force – best commercial walk behind mower for homeowner
The Greenworks Cordless mower is the best commercial walk behind mower for a homeowner as it ticks all the right boxes in terms of the ideal lawnmower. It has long-lasting batteries, a good grip, no noise, and enhanced technology for great lawn mowing. Its elegant design also makes it aesthetically appealing.
The machine comes with a 20” plastic cutting deck and 4 AH and 2 Ah batteries depending on the model you choose. It also has Smart cut technology to gauge the grass’s length and toughness being cut. It then adjusts the power it gives out to suit the particular grass.
Better yet, the machine has dual blades for a more uniform and excellent cut. Great lawnmowers make manicured lawns, and this product fits the bill perfectly. It will not disappoint once you set it on your lawn.
- Easy to maneuver thanks to different sized front and rear wheels. Making turns has never been easier than with this machine.
- It comes with an extra battery so that you can mow for more extended periods of time without having to recharge batteries.
- The Smart cut feature makes it more efficient as energy is used proportionately to the grass’s length and toughness.
- Fine and clean-cut thanks to its dual blade cutting deck.
- It comes with an informative manual that you can use to troubleshoot any problems you may be experiencing with the product.
- The deck is made of plastic, which is prone to breakage and other damage.
- The mower requires assembling, which can be quite a task, especially for beginners.
[amazon fields=”B00GX9WNP2″ value=”button”]
9. American Lawn Mower Company 50514 – cheap commercial walk behind mower
This is a superior quality mower that comes with sturdy 11″ motors to help you clear any weeds and grass on your property. It also has a great mulching and bagging system, with a huge bag that makes collecting cut grass an easy task. The bag has a level indicator so you can know beforehand when you need to empty it.
You will also love its huge 7″ wheels, making it easy for the mower to roll around your yard. It makes the task of mowing the lawn much more comfortable. Better yet, it is a cheap commercial walk behind mower that will serve you well for years to come.
The mower’s height can be adjusted using a single lever, and you have up to 5 options on how short you can cut your grass. It also has folding handles, which reduce its size tremendously. That way, you can easily transport or store it away.
- Huge wheels that move around easily and don’t get stuck often.
- The machine comes with a big rear bag that does not require frequent emptying. The bag also has a level indicator to inform you when you should empty it.
- The mower requires no assembly; try it out on your lawn right after you receive the package.
- The mower can cut any type of grass thanks to its vast and robust 11″ motor.
- The mower is ergonomically designed to help you grasp it better and change its length with ease.
- The mower is corded, which can be quite an inconvenience as you have to oversee the cords all the time.
- The mower is ideal only for small yards since you must look for a power source to plug it in.
[amazon fields=”B07JVQDKGK” value=”button”]
10. Makita XML03PT1 18V X2 – best small commercial walk behind mower
The final product on our list is the Makita cordless lawnmower. This one is different from all the others that have been reviewed due to its brushless motor, which boosts its power and makes it more energy efficient. Nothing guarantees long-lasting batteries better than this. This always ensures it a place among the best commercial walk behind mower reviews.
The mower deck is a tad smaller than average as it measures 18”. But this by no means implies any inferiority in terms of the quality of results it produces. If anything, its extra powerful motor ensures that the cut you get is top-notch. With its four batteries, you can easily mow a 7300 square feet yard without any interruptions. It is arguably the best small commercial walk behind mower.
The mower is also weather-resistant, thanks to its steel body. It also has mechanisms that protect it from overloading, overheating, and over-discharging. You will also get a warning if any of these happens while you are using it.
- A brushless motor that produces more energy, thus allowing for easy cutting of even tough grass.
- Its blade housing is made of heavy-duty steel, which is weather resistant. You can expect this product to last quite several years.
- You can easily adjust the mower’s height to up to 10 different heights using a single lever machine.
- The machine comes with 4 Lithium-Ion batteries to ensure continuity of your mowing.
- You can compactly transport or store this product thanks to its folding handles.
- The mower is quite heavy and has no self-propel feature. You will break a sweat easily with this product.
- It is not ergonomically designed, and you will get grip fatigue after using it for a short period.
[amazon fields=”B07Q1KGJ3Y” value=”button”]
When it comes to choosing the best commercial walk behind lawnmower, you are spoilt for choice. It is essential to know precisely what you want out of the mower to make the best choice. If you are moving in a hilly yard, for instance, a self-propelled mower could be ideal for you. This might, however, be a bit costly compared to other mowers.
All in all, the mowers included in this list represent the best walk-behind mowers in the market. Not only are they reasonably priced, but they are also made with the user in mind. They are ergonomic, fuel-efficient, and smart, which makes mowing that much easier. You simply must try them to find out how good they are.
Factors to consider while buying a walk-behind lawnmower
When it comes to buying the perfect walk-behind lawn mower for your yard, you need to consider several factors.
Power Source of the Mower
The first is the power source of the mower. The most common walk-behind mowers are gas or petrol powered, corded mowers, or cordless mowers that rely on batteries to run. They all have their pros and cons.
A gas-powered mower is efficient since it does not need constant recharging and can mow a huge lawn. However, these tend to be heavy and not the healthiest option. Corded mowers, on the other hand, use clean energy and allow for uninterrupted mowing. However, you will need to contend with cords all over, which minimizes their flexibility significantly.
Battery-powered mowers are flexible and light in weight. On the downside, batteries may require frequent charging, which can be quite an inconvenience. You have to carefully weigh the pros and cons before you settle on any one mower in terms of the power source.
Height of the Mower
The second factor you should consider is the height of the mower. The best mowers are the ones whose height you can adjust to suit your mowing needs. That way, whether your grass is exceptionally long or short, you can rest assured that the mower will get to it.
You should also pay heed to the compactness of the mower. Can you fold down the handles when you are done using the mower? This is important as it determines how much storage space you will have to dedicate to your mower.
You also want to ensure that the mower you buy is suitable for the terrain on which you intend to use it. Some mowers are great for rough terrain, while others fair terribly on coarse grounds. Make sure you familiarize yourself with this factor before you settle on a mower.
You also want to get a mower that gives you all the benefits of a walk-behind mower. For instance, does the mower come with a collecting bag? What about headlights for night use? Do you get an extra battery with your mower? Does it have space for storing the extra battery? What of the noise? How much noise does it make? If you find the answers to all of these questions, then you will most likely have found the perfect mower for your lawn.
All in all, before you settle on any specific mower, make yourself well- versed with every little detail about it. Read reviews that have been written about it. Do people like the product? Can you live with its shortcomings? If you can, then go ahead and invest in this crucial piece of equipment.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a walk behind lawn mower?
A walk behind lawn mower is a piece of equipment that is used to maintain a desired length of grass on the lawn. It uses blades that rotate like helicopter blades to cut the grass. As the name suggests, you walk behind the mower as it cuts, steering it in the right direction. Walk-behind lawn mowers can be powered by electricity, gasoline, or petrol. Some even have batteries to make them easier to use.
How do you use a walk behind lawn mower?
Using a walk behind lawn mower should not be a difficult task, even for beginners. The vital thing to do is to follow the instructions on the manual of your specific brand. This is because lawnmowers differ, and some are started by turning on an electric key and others by pushing a button. Once you have turned on the machine, adjust the mower's height using the lever on the side, and disengage the parking gear if your machine has one. Make sure you attach the collecting bag if you intend to use it, or opt for the mulching or disposal options if your machine has those. Then move it in straight lines across your lawn and cut the grass as desired.
How do you adjust the height of the mower?
As with using the mower, there is no standard way of adjusting the height of the mower since each mower is different. For most mowers, though, adjusting the height requires you to use a single- hand level to set the height where you desire it. Move the lever towards the higher numbers for a higher cut, and the lower numbers for a shorter cut.
Is a walk-behind mower self-propelled?
Whether or not a walk-behind mower is a self-propelled depends on the specific brand. Mowers such as the Honda Lawnmower and the Snapper lawn mower have a self-propel feature that makes them easier to use, especially when mowing up the hill. Others don’t have this feature, and using them on the uneven ground becomes a tad more complicated.
How Much does a walk-behind mower weigh?
The weight of a walk behind lawn mower varied considerably depending on the model. However, most mowers weigh between 50 to 100 pounds, with the gasoline-powered ones weighing the heaviest. You should seriously consider the weight of the mower before you purchase it as it determines how easy the task will be.
How much oil does the walk behind mower take?
The typical mower takes between 15 and 18 oz. of oil. You should change the oil regularly. Change it after 50 hours of use or annually, whichever comes first. Check your specific mower to know precisely what type of oil to use and use high-quality detergent oil marked For Service, SF, SG, or a higher grade.
How fast does a walk-behind mower go?
A walk-behind mower typically goes at a speed of between 4 and 6 mph. However, you should only choose a speed that you are comfortable with. Many of them come with a speed adjustment button, so make good use of it to control the speed to your liking.