Gesso is committed to being functioned as a balanced ground which to paint upon. It’s kind of an exclusive layer in between your rapport and actual painting. In short, we may name the layer a primer or a ground.
Traditionally, Gesso is white. But now, things have been changed. With the advanced technology, we get colored gesso, black gesso, super heavy gesso, or basic Gesso. Additionally, gesso also divided by two grades, student grade and artist Grade,
So, at this moment we started the top 10 best gesso reviews for your convenience. We researched the market very carefully as we understand how delightfully quirky you can be about your artwork. We also clearly added which gesso is best in which category. So, enjoy your ride with us and pick up the suitable one.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 best Gesso Reviews
- 1.Liquitex G5316 Professional White Gesso Surface Prep Medium – Best gesso for professionals
- 2. Prima Marketing 961466 Art Basics Gesso – Best clear gesso
- 3. GRUMBACHER Gesso (Hyplar) Artists’ Acrylic & Oil Paint Medium – Best gesso for oil painting
- 4. Art Alternatives Black Acrylic Gesso – Best gesso for wood
- 5. Handy Art Little Masters Economy Acrylic Gallon – Best gesso for acrylic painting
- 6. Winsor & Newton Professional Acrylic Medium Clear Gesso – Best gesso for art journaling
- 7. Ranger MDM46424 Dina Wakley Media Gesso 4oz Jar-Clear – Best gesso for bible journaling
- 8. Handy Art Acrylic Gesso – Best gesso for acrylic painting
- 9. Golden Acrylic Gesso – Best gesso for watercolor
- 10. Art Advantage 8-Ounce Acrylic Gesso – Best gesso for professionals
- Overall Ideas
Top 10 best Gesso Reviews
1.Liquitex G5316 Professional White Gesso Surface Prep Medium – Best gesso for professionals
This lightweight, non-toxic and premium acrylic gesso functioned to make painting surfaces for oil and acrylic paint. There is a wide range of surface preparations available such as BASICS Gesso, White Gesso, Clear Gesso, and Super Heavy Gesso. However, we are reviewing the white gesso. It’s for absorbent surfaces like wood, metal, paper, and canvas. It offers accurate surface sizing, absorbency tooth, and excellent coverage. Traditionally, Liquitex Gesso takes just one coat. But, two layers are recommended under oil color.
- Features 16-oz / 473ml bottle of the medium.
- It’s durable and non-cracking.
- It does not yellow over time.
- Lightweight and water resistant.
- It’s entirely suitable for educational use.
- A variety of colors.
- It’s a bit thick.
This classic white sealer Gesso can function with Prismacolor pencils, Koi watercolors, colored pencils, stickers, acrylic paint, Iridescent medium, and art masking fluid, etc. It adds value and quality to your art projects.
2. Prima Marketing 961466 Art Basics Gesso – Best clear gesso
This 8.5-Ounce Prisma marketing art basics gesso functions well as a sealer and primer on most surfaces that include wood, metal, chipboard, plastic, fabric, paper, canvas, and more. The entire deal includes one 8.5oz Jar of clear gesso. Clear Gesso is more flexible than black or white Gesso. Case in point, if you require black or white or any other color, you can add some acrylic paint with it to create your tone.
- It’s water based but durable and permanent after drying.
- It will blend with acrylic paints or pigments to create an array of customized color grounds.
- It’s nontoxic.
- It doesn’t yellow over time.
- It works impressively at bible art journaling.
- Doesn’t dry rapidly.
This transparent Gesso has crystal clear coverage. It’s a lovely product which can provide you high quality to your venture.
3. GRUMBACHER Gesso (Hyplar) Artists’ Acrylic & Oil Paint Medium – Best gesso for oil painting
This extra thick Gesso is excellent for oil and acrylic painting. It prepares several absorbent substrates like canvas, plaster, concrete, cardboard, and wood, for painting with acrylic or oil colors. The process of usage is also clear and easy. At first, stir properly and use with a brush to a neat and clean surface. After, may be thinned with water. Most importantly, sand between coats if you want to avoid wicking. Finally, it can be tinted with acrylic colors. However, never blend with or use with turpentine or oils.
- Available in 16oz. And 32 oz.
- It offers an elegant base for mixing acrylic paint.
- It can be functioned to add texture to the canvas.
- Made in the USA.
- Not appropriate for gilding or egg tempera.
GRUMBACHER Gesso is a pretty good product for the artists at an affordable price.
4. Art Alternatives Black Acrylic Gesso – Best gesso for wood
This stunning black gesso is perfect for tempera or acrylics-oils. You can use it with tempera or acrylics-oils on a variety of porous surfaces inclosing wood panels, paper, and canvas. What is more, it can also be used as an excellent base for crayons, soft and oil pastels, colored pencil, spray paint, paint markers, and more.
- It offers an adequately rigid yet pliable surface plus adored with a clean satin fin.
- It provides a slight tooth to enhance adhesion.
- It dries quickly.
- Never crack.
- Nice coverage.
- Occasionally, it may require multiple coatings.
This affordable Gesso has a thick consistency and very easy to work with. Within such a reasonable price, it’s a delight to the customers.
5. Handy Art Little Masters Economy Acrylic Gallon – Best gesso for acrylic painting
This exceptional quality, white Gesso, is excellent for the budding artist. It’s an economic primer which dries to a durable finish. Additionally, it can be applied as a primer or undercoating to surface before painting to enhance adherence. What is more, it’s reasonably thick and covers finely.
- Certified AP Non-Toxic.
- It’s sandable.
- Very easy to clean. Just use soap and water
- Made in the USA.
- It does not contain latex, egg, dairy or casein, soy, peanut, gluten, or tree nuts.
- Not very much suitable for highly professional work.
This one is a beginner-friendly which can be used for medium venture projects and student grade works.
6. Winsor & Newton Professional Acrylic Medium Clear Gesso – Best gesso for art journaling
Winsor & Newton Acrylic Clear Gesso is designed for professional use. It’s made from unpigmented clear resin that dries entirely clear. What is more, it can be used to create your gesso primers by adding acrylic colors to the base. However, be noted that to make colored Gesso primers, opaque colors are recommended.
- It offers tooth but no color.
- It does not possess white pigment but still offers absorbency and texture.
- It makes the ideal surface upon which to paint.
- It fits for creating a pastel surface on paper and for alkyd and oil painting.
- It’s pretty easy to use plus dries reasonably fast.
- This gesso is a bit thin.
This gesso provides you a blend of consistent professional result and elegance. Great value for the money.
7. Ranger MDM46424 Dina Wakley Media Gesso 4oz Jar-Clear – Best gesso for bible journaling
This 4oz jar clear gesso is suitable for using to surface where you need the background to display through media. What is more, it provides tooth for paint to hold but also let you show the underlays.
- Great for sealing layers.
- Best for making slippery surfaces more attainable.
- It’s a Non-toxic. Additionally, it does not contain any acid.
- It works brilliantly on watercolors, acrylic painting, bible journaling and so on.
- Made in the USA.
- It’s a bit more textured after drying.
It’s a good gesso which dries fairly well, easy to put on, easy to clean and prevents bleed through your artwork.
8. Handy Art Acrylic Gesso – Best gesso for acrylic painting
Since 1974, Handy art gave us some best-valued art products and kept their reputation intact. ?in this department, they also offered some cherished Gesso that provides some great features and affordability. This white Gesso medium is a brilliant quality student primer which dries to a durable matte finish.
- It can be used as a primer or an undercoating before painting to enhance adherence.
- It comes with a higher pigmentation
- It has a thicker consistency.
- It’s certified AP nontoxic. It doesn’t contain any latex, casein r dairy.
- Made in the USA.
- A few customers stated the problem that the lid was broken.
It’s a student grade primer, but the professionals also can give it a try. The quality is really rich. It’s thick, but not extra thick, covers well and give you an excellent service.
9. Golden Acrylic Gesso – Best gesso for watercolor
Golden Acrylic Gesso is flexible, lightfast, permanent, and perfect for applying to a stretched cotton canvas. T The gessoes and grounds golden acrylics let the artist create backing with acrylic paint or use oil paints or all types of pastels, charcoal, and watercolors. It’s made in the United States. And the overall product weight is 0.63lbs.
- It’s an all acrylic painting ground for acrylic and oil paints.
- You can use it on a variety of surfaces.
- It defends the supports.
- It provides impressive surface adhesion.
- It blends well with other acrylic paints.
- Sometimes it requires several coating.
One thing I need to add that, it works wonderfully on aluminum or other metallic surfaces (4 coats recommended). So, highly recommended for metallic surfaces. It has other advantages too like it’s neither too thin nor thick, a standard consistency, easy to spread on, maximum coverage and opaque.
10. Art Advantage 8-Ounce Acrylic Gesso – Best gesso for professionals
This Acrylic white Gesso is the breeding ground of quality and flexibility. It comes in a variety of colors such as Grey, white, black, and so on. It’s fascinating for priming canvas, hardboard, and plaster. What particularly interesting is that the exceptionally speedy drying time of this Gesso. It dries within a few minutes, which is incredible for an artist. It saves times and makes the venture more workable.
- It’s a non-yellowing. So, rest assured, it won’t yellow over time.
- It’s compatible with oil, acrylic colors, charcoal and pastels to pencil and crayons
- No need for thinning.
- Clean up is smooth. I need soap and water.
- The drying time is magical.
- A bit smelly.
It’s a great white gesso with a superior finish to enhance your artwork. It possesses a great texture, excellent drying time, and wonderfully consistent result.
These are our top 10 best Gesso Reviews. So, understand your requirements and choose wisely. However, if I need to recommend any palette, then I will recommend the first one Liquitex Gesso. Liquitex brand is a renowned brand for more than 65 years.
In quality and value, no brand can’t be as beautiful as Liquitex. Brilliantly enough, it also provides a variety of gesso such as BASICS Gesso, White Gesso, Clear Gesso, and Super Heavy Gesso. They are all great in their respective field. However, the white one is particularly fascinating.
For the professionals, it would be a delight; the beginners or students can give it a try as it’s moderately priced. However, another gesso which caught my attention is Art Advantage 8-Ounce Acrylic Gesso. It also swells for the professionals.
For the final student grade, the pick-up could be Handy Art Little Masters Economy Acrylic Gallon, White Gesso or Handy Art Acrylic Gesso.
The final call is yours. So, whatever decision you make, best luck with that. I hope your adventure will allow us to enjoy some best artworks if you would like to share anything, comment below.