An artist, a student, a teacher, or a professional, as the case may be, you need an excellent paper or surface for your art piece or any creative work. There are a lot of products which are available on the market. It can be a bit tough for you to choose among them as it is known that when people have too many choices, they make bad choices. So, at this moment, after one weeks’ research (which are done from a forum, Amazon customer review, and personal experiences), we narrow down your list to 10 Best paper for gouache and best surface for gouache/ Pads.
The two things we made sure that every product is functional and budget-friendly. We didn’t pick up expensive ones, as we noticed you are getting the best ones at a reasonable price. So, why spend an extra penny? Let’s explore the features of these products and pick up your desired one.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Paper for Gouache Painting
- 1.Canson XL Series Watercolor Pad
- 2. Strathmore 462-111 400 Series Mixed Media Pad
- 3. Canson XL Series Black Drawing Paper
- 4. Gouaches Paper – 3-Pack A4 Watercolor Pad
- 5. Bee Paper Cold Press Watercolor Paper Pack
- 6. Art-n-Fly 30 Sheets 9 X 12 Watercolor Paper Fold Over Design
- 7. Arches Watercolor Paper Pad
- 8. Strathmore Paper 300 Series Watercolor Class Pack
- 9. Strathmore Vision Watercolor Pad
- 10. Strathmore Cold Press Watercolor Pad
- Overall Ideas
Top 10 Best Paper for Gouache Painting
1.Canson XL Series Watercolor Pad
This watercolor pad is a real find for the people at an affordable price. It is superb delightful for water coloring. It also works brilliantly for a variety of techniques. However, it’s highly recommended for use with pen & ink, acrylic, pencil, colored pencil, marker, pastel and charcoal. However, it’s exclusively designed for students. But the other professional people also can use it. This watercolor pad has heavyweight sheets which are fantastic for intermediate and beginner watercolor artists.
- It features a cold press, textured paper. And cold-pressed paper is ideal for wet media.
- It has a durable surface that can withstand repeated washes.
- It’s acid-free.
- It has a durable and advanced fold cover that retains the paper unharmed repeated openings.
- Fantastic for practice sketching with graphite and charcoal.
- It’s available in multiple sizes.
- This paper is not very much white.
Let me tell you about a hack that I used. The price of this watercolor pad fluctuates quite a bit. So, if you want to get it for a lesser price, add it to your cart. Just wait and check it and buy it.
There is another hack which has proved quite useful for me. If you die-cut paper such as card making or scrapbooking, this paper is thicker than cardstock. Most importantly, the price is highly lower than cardstock. This could prove a great alternative. Good luck.
2. Strathmore 462-111 400 Series Mixed Media Pad
This versatile mixed media paper is ideal for both dry and wet media. It combines the features of watercolor paper with the finish of a drawing sheet. However, this perfect combination makes the suitable surface for gouache, graphite, watercolor, marker, pen and ink, colored pencil and collage. Glue bound pads include flip-over covers for sheets. They stay in the pad, most importantly, also tear out cleanly.
- The measurement is 11×14 inches.
- It contains 15 sheets per package.
- It can stand up to multiple applications of both dry and wet media.
- The papers do not stick to the exterior shell.
- The paper features a smooth finish. So, it erases easily without smudging.
- The paper absorbs evenly.
- It’s perfectly thick.
- It works better in dry media than wet media.
This heavyweight media paper will make some lasting art pieces.
3. Canson XL Series Black Drawing Paper
Canson has a world-famous black drawing paper, which is excellent for pencil, opaque links, pastel, and gouache. This black gouache is suitable for creating distinctive artworks. Color line paper employs the highest grade pigments plus fade-resistant dyes, which ensures the longevity of your artwork.
- Top of FormIt’s suitable for metallic lettering.
- Gel pens function fantastically in this paper. Gel pen performs fantastically on this paper.
- It’s pretty thick.
- The paper is perforated.
- Moderate weight.
- It contains 40 sheets.
- It requires a bit rubbing for blending.
This fine, black drawing paper is excellent for drawing. It’s quite a charming paper for kids. They will love it.
4. Gouaches Paper – 3-Pack A4 Watercolor Pad
This three-pack watercolor pad is suitable for painting paper, plus art paper for acrylic plus watercolor and other wet media painting. They are also ideal for gouache, ink, etc. However, each pad has 20 sheets. So, you can make a lot of artworks. This paper can be used by illustrators, professional artists, students, kids, hobby painters and art lovers. What is more, the canvas pad measure is 8.5 x 11 inches
- These papers are acid-free.
- It has an ideal size to carry around.
- Keep watercolor pigment vibrant.
- Lower price.
- The pages keep the artwork in good condition. They won’t yellow over time.
- It’s a bit thin.
This product is value for the money. You will never find a better product than this one at such an affordable price.
5. Bee Paper Cold Press Watercolor Paper Pack
This is a fantastic, moderately professional paper that contains 50 sheets per pack. It’s a 100-percent cotton sheet. Interestingly enough, the size 6-inch by 9-inch is perfect for sketchbooks. What is more, it’s also a fantastic watercolor paper for beginners. It holds the water perfectly,
- This paper is acid-free.
- It can also work with colored pencils.
- Paper absorbs the water rapidly.
- Affordable price.
- Easy to use.
- It has a bit rougher finish.
It seems a pretty decent paper for students. Worth a try.
6. Art-n-Fly 30 Sheets 9 X 12 Watercolor Paper Fold Over Design
This heavy, thick watercolor paper is suitable for all wet on wet and wet on dry watercolor techniques. It can also be combined with other media such as ink. However, you can also use it for dry and wet techniques in acrylic paint, graphite, charcoal and gouache. Most importantly, it’s cold-compresses. If you are wondering what is cold-compressed (if you are a beginner artist), well, it is a little textured (has tooth) making it suitable for large areas of wash,
- No bleeding.
- Very bright white.
- Nicely packed,
- It will not deteriorate or turn yellow with time.
- It’s a bit heavier side. The weight is around 140lb
This Art-n-Fly 30 Sheets 9 X 12 Watercolor Paper has its guaranteed fold-over design.
7. Arches Watercolor Paper Pad
1492, and historical year (the arrival to America by Columbus) when Arches paper mill founded. Since then, they never look back. They are always known for their high-quality products. And I can assure you; it’s one of the best watercolor pad you have ever across on the market.
- The cold press finish features a light texture. It reflects light quite well, retaining the see-through quality of watercolors.
- The papers are cylinder mold made.
- The long fibers make the sheet thick, durable, stable and resilient.
- Each sheet is tub-sized in a bath of clean natural gelatin plus air-dried to enhance additional strength.
- It can be used with a technique like watercolor, Gouache, Acrylic, Airbrush and pencil.
- Not yet found.
There is, of course, no doubt about the fact that it’s the most professional quality watercolor paper. It will help in your journey immensely.
8. Strathmore Paper 300 Series Watercolor Class Pack
This economical watercolor paper has a cold press which is compatible with a variety of techniques containing pencil or charcoal overlay, wet on wet, and sgraffito. It consists of 24 sheets. And the measurement is 9 x 12 inches. The color is the original version
- Heavy chipboard backing.
- Durable binding.
- Cold press surface holds pigments.
- It smells a bit.
This is quite a decent product that adds value to your work.
9. Strathmore Vision Watercolor Pad
This vision watercolor pad weighs around 180lb. It features a customizable cover. However, it features an economic heavyweight watercolor paper adorned with a cold press finish which offers even washes and good lifts with wet media techniques. What is more, it features extra high sheet counts, acid-free paper, extra durability and sturdy clipboard backing.
- Per pad has 30 sheets.
- It’s acid-free.
- It has a tear-top sheet with a customizable cover.
- Made in the USA.
- Not yet found.
Strathmore brand has always known to provide top-notch products.
10. Strathmore Cold Press Watercolor Pad
This superb lightweight pad is the cheapest pad that you ever across on the market. However, this pad is suitable for water-based media, including tempera, gouache, acrylic, watercolor, or poster point.
- It features a cold press surface.
- Great for water-based media.
- Manufactured in the USA.
- Super affordable price.
- The measurement is 9″x12.
- Not yet found.
It seems a decent product and the price is under $7 (the moment I am reviewing).
These are our top 10 best papers for gouache and best surface for gouache/Pads. I hope your adventure will allow us to enjoy some best artworks if you would like to share anything, comment below. Good luck with your purchase.
Last update on 2020-08-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API