Painting can be a joy or a dreaded chore, depending on the equipment you choose for the job. Generally speaking, you need two main pieces of equipment for the job; a paint roller and the cover for the roller. Although the two are crucial to the painting job, you have to choose the best paint roller cover for interior walls to have an excellent painting experience.
You will have an even layer of paint on your wall or ceiling with the right cover, without any of the irritating patterns or lint left behind. On the other hand, the wrong cover will make the job overly tedious, leave an uneven layer of paint on the wall, and generally suck the joy out of your day.
It is, therefore, imperative to choose the best paint roller cover. Fortunately for you, we have put together the most detailed guide on how to go about purchasing this crucial piece of equipment. Even better is the fact that choosing the right cover is not all that hard. Here is a review guide on the top ten best paint roller covers and tips on choosing the best.
Table of Contents
- Best Paint Roller Cover for Interior Walls and Ceilings Review
- 1.Bates Paint Roller Covers
- 2. Pro Grade Paint Roller Covers
- 3. Precision Defined 9 Inch Paint Roller Covers
- 4. 9 Inch Microfiber Paint Roller
- 5. Juvale 9 Inch Paint Roller Covers
- 6. Purdy GIDDS 800630 Roller Covers
- 7. Wooster Brush R271-4 Painter’s Choice Roller Cover
- 8. HomeRight ¾ Inch Roller Cover C800252 Perforated Roller Cover
- 9. True Blue Professional Paint Roller Covers
- 10. RollerLite All Purpose 9” *3/8 HD Polyester Knit Standard Roller Cover
- Final Verdict
- Factors to consider while buying the paint roller cover
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Paint Roller Cover for Interior Walls and Ceilings Review
1.Bates Paint Roller Covers
The Bates Paint roller covers are some of the best covers on the market. There is a lot to love about them. The first thing is that they are 9 inches long, which is the standard length for a paint roller. This means that they will fit into any standard paint roller, so you don’t have to worry about finding another roller for this cover.
The naps on these roller covers are ½ inch thick. They are also made of high-density material. This means that they will hold more paint, thus making it easier for you to paint faster. Additionally, the thick naps hold paint exceptionally well, so you do not have to worry about splattering and making a mess on the floor while you paint.
You will also appreciate the naps’ quality once you realize just how smoothly you can paint using them. They have a very even lag out, so you don’t need to lose sleep over uneven patterns or grisly marks on your precious walls. What’s more, the covers are ideal to use on both smooth and semi-rough surfaces. Even better is the fact that they leave your surfaces with the enviable velvety finish you want.
The Bates Paint Roller Covers are made of microfiber material that is shed resistant. Remember that hideous lint we talked about in the introduction? This is a problem that you will never encounter with these roller covers. This makes them more efficient since you don’t need to keep removing lint as you paint.
- Made of the shed- resistant material that will ensure no lint is left on the surface.
- It is reusable, which can save you a ton of money, especially for larger projects.
- Efficient painting equipment which minimizes the effort you have to put into the task.
- All-purpose paint roller cover that can be used on a variety of surfaces and with different paints.
- The pack comes with 5 rollers, which means you do not have to keep going to the store for more.
- They are hard to clean, which can be quite an issue in terms of reusability.
- Holding too much paint could lead to thickening and an uneven layer of paint.
2. Pro Grade Paint Roller Covers
The second roller cover on our list is the superior quality cover by Pro Grade. This company is known for its quality products, and this roller cover is no exception. The cover has a lot of features that make it the best paint roller cover for interior walls.
One thing you will appreciate about this cover is that it is made of microfiber material. This means that as you paint, you will not have to contend with any shedding, thus making the job a complete delight. Additionally, you will paint faster as you won’t have to deal with annoying bubbles brought about by shedding material.
The roller cover is 9 inches long and ½ an inch thick. Nine inches is the standard size of most roller wireframes, so you can expect it to fit snuggly onto your roller. The thick nap also allows the cover to hold the right amount of paint. This makes it easier for you to paint as you don’t have to keep dipping the roller into the paint tray all the time.
The roller cover is also straightforward to use, even for beginners. It is ideal for smooth and semi-smooth surfaces, so its versatility is also a huge plus. The naps are also extremely durable. The cores are made of polypropylene, making them resistant to solvents, water, and even cracking.
- Durable naps that can serve you for an extended period of time.
- The covers are reusable, which means you don’t have to buy a new cover every time.
- Versatile covers that can be used with any paint and on surfaces with varying levels of smoothness.
- Made of microfiber material that does not shed, so you don’t have to worry about lint.
- Strong cores that can withstand a tremendous amount of wear and tear.
- Only available in 9 inches, hence not ideal for larger projects
- The naps may not hold as much paint as other covers, which can make painting tedious.
3. Precision Defined 9 Inch Paint Roller Covers
Another excellent paint roller cover is a product by Precision Defined. A package of the product comes with six roller covers, which makes them a great bargain. Like the other roller covers on this list, this product is above par in terms of quality.
One of the best things about this product is that it has a locking mechanism that prevents slippage. If you have ever had to deal with sleeve slippage, no doubt, you will immensely appreciate this product. Secondly, the roller cover holds and distributes paint evenly. If it is that even coating of paint you are after, you will certainly get it with this cover.
The roller cover is also all-purpose. You can use it on virtually every painting project, from home renovations to painting the barn or fence to even doing minor touch-ups around the house. It can also be used with all types of paints and stains.
The cover is 9 inches in length, which is the standard size of a paint roller. The naps are also quite thick, ensuring that they hold enough paint to keep you rolling for a while. Moreover, the roller covers are reusable so that you can save quite the right amount of money with this product.
- No slipping, thanks to the roll locking mechanism.
- All-round cover that can be used for interior walls or outdoor projects.
- The covers are reusable and can be cleaned with ease.
- Easy to fit on the roller frame; no worries about it getting stuck every other time.
- Paints surface thanks to its flat paint releasing mechanism evenly.
- It gets matted quickly as it holds a lot of paint, making painting a tad harder.
- Leaves ghastly lint as it is not made of microfiber material.
4. 9 Inch Microfiber Paint Roller
This product by Qinhan is yet another quality product that deserves a place as the best paint roller cover for interior walls. It has all the makings of a high roller cover, including microfiber material, a good, strong core, and perfect nap thickness.
The biggest source of irritation for most painters is lint and fuzz from the roller cover. It can be very frustrating as it means that you have to keep removing the lint or deal with a less- than- perfect surface. Fortunately for you, there are roller covers made of microfiber material, which does not shed. This roller cover by Qinhan is one of them, so you can rest assured that you will not have to deal with the fuzz.
Have you ever bought a device only to find that it does not fit well with other parts that you may already have? This has to be one of the most frustrating experiences anyone could go through. The worst would be for you to buy a roller cover only to find that it is bigger or smaller than your roller frames. To avoid this, you should purchase standard size, 9 Inch roller covers such as this product from Qinhan.
You will love this product because it is also highly durable and can be reused. The plastic core ensures that the product remains in good condition for a long time after purchasing it. You will get full value for money with this product.
- Versatile as it can be used on smooth and semi-rough surfaces and with any paints and stains.
- Durable as it is made of high-quality microfiber fabric and a plastic core.
- Reusable because the fabric used to make it is washable.
- No fuzz or lint while you paint, thanks to the microfiber material.
- Standard size so it will fit perfectly on your roller.
- It holds little paint, so it may be tedious to use.
- It may not work correctly on very smooth surfaces owing to bubbles.
5. Juvale 9 Inch Paint Roller Covers
This paint roller cover is a bit different from the others discussed above. Its nap, unlike the others, has a brush-like design that enhances its efficiency significantly. Using this paint roller cover is as simple as it can be.
The roller cover is made of polyester fiber. While this may make it less absorbent than those made of other materials, it makes it much harder for lint or fuzz to interfere with your painting job. The naps on these covers are thinner than those on others, measuring 3/8 inches thick compared to ½ inch thickness on other rollers. On the bright side, this means that paint will not coalesce on these rollers. This makes it easier for you to attain that entirely, even coating on your walls.
The brush-like design on the cover also minimizes splattering a great deal. The upshot of this is that you can expect to paint your walls and ceiling with a minimal mess. Additionally, the polyester nap is perforated to ensure that you paint evenly.
The core of the roller cover is also made of sturdy, plastic material. This makes it resistant to water damage and cracking, which is definitely what you want in your roller cover. The polyester material used to make the nap itself is very durable as well.
- Lint-free painting thanks to polyester fabric that does not shed.
- Standard sized 9” roller cover that is ideal for interior painting.
- The durable core is made of plastic material that is immune to cracking and other damage.
- Perforated nap for even distribution of paint, which means a uniform coating on your walls.
- It can be cleaned without much fuss, which makes it a joy to reuse.
- It May does not hold as much paint as you would like to make more trips to the paint tray.
- Rolling back is a bit rough and may leave unsightly patterns on your surfaces.
6. Purdy GIDDS 800630 Roller Covers
Purdy is one of the biggest names in the world of painting, and for a good reason too. They are known to produce high-quality painting equipment, which includes their Purdy GIDDS 800630 Roller covers. One of the things that stands out about this nap is that it is made of Dralon fabric. Dralon is known for its durability, thanks to the acrylic material covered in Teflon.
Moreover, the roller cover is made using the weaving technique, making it all the more durable. What’s more, the core of the cover is made of Polypropylene. Polypropylene is not only resistant to water damage, but it also ensures that stains and other chemicals do not destroy the roller. Needless to say, this is a roller you can expect to use for a long time.
Other than its durability, the Purdy roller cover is also laudable for its versatility. It can be used with all kinds of paints, be they latex, oil, or water-based. You can also use it on a wide range of semi-smooth to semi-rough surfaces. It makes the best paint roller cover for ceilings, drywall, and floors.
The roller cover also comes in various sizes, so you can rest assured that it will fit perfectly on your roller. The roller does not even leave any lint as you paint so that you can expect a smooth finish without much struggle.
- Use with all paints and stains and makes an excellent cover for semi-rough surfaces and ceilings.
- Releases paint evenly, thus giving you an even coat of paint.
- Good quality roller cover made by a reputable company in the United States.
- Functionally designed so that you get the most out of your paint and effort.
- Extremely durable thanks to Dralon fabric and polypropylene core.
- Not the best for very smooth or delicate surfaces because of the weaving technology.
- Made of woven fabric, so it does not hold a lot of paint. This can make painting tedious.
7. Wooster Brush R271-4 Painter’s Choice Roller Cover
This mint-green roller cover from one of the biggest names in painting is, without doubt, one of the best paint roller covers. Wooster products are known for their superior quality, and this roller cover is certainly not an exception. One thing to note is that it is made using the knitting technique, which allows it to hold a lot of paint. With this roller cover, you will not need to keep going back and forth to your painting tray.
The core of the nap is made of Polypropylene, which is resistant to all paints and stains. It also doesn’t rot or suffer other damage due to exposure to water. This makes the roller cover durable. You do not have to worry about it coming apart as you paint your surfaces.
The roller cover is also ideal for use with any flat paint. This means that regardless of the kind of painting job you have to do, the roller cover is just right for the job. However, you should know that the roller cover comes as a 4 inches cover, so make sure you have the right roller for this cover.
- Quality product made only with excellent quality materials.
- It holds a lot of paint, thus making it easy for you to paint.
- All-purpose roller cover that can be used with any paint
- Durable product with polypropylene interior core
- Even coating with no lint
- It comes as a 4 inches cover, which is not standard. It might not fit on regular interior paint rollers.
- Not ideal for interior walls owing to too much paint that could coalesce.
8. HomeRight ¾ Inch Roller Cover C800252 Perforated Roller Cover
This is one of the most outstanding roller covers on this list. It is unique thanks to its perforated interior core, which is meant to maximize the roller cover’s efficiency. Paint gets into the cover through the holes in the core and is evenly distributed to the nap, thus creating one of the smoothest coats on an interior wall. This particular product is the best paint roller cover for interior walls.
Besides the perforation technique, the fact that the roller cover is lint-free makes it a beloved treasure for many painters across the country. The cover is made of polyester, which hardly sheds. You do not have to worry about any fuzz coming between you and your walls with this cover.
The roller cover is designed to be used together with the HomeRight PaintStick EZ- Twist roller and other similar products. While it is optimized for this particular roller, it will still fit well into a standard 9 inches roller. You do not have to worry about it fitting poorly on the roller you already have.
Even better is the fact that the cover can be reused and is easy to clean. This can save you plenty of money since you don’t have to replenish your stock every time you need to paint. Cleaning this cover is a walk in the park, which is quite a relief.
- Made of shed- resistant polyester that does not leave lint.
- Standard sized roller cover that fits perfectly onto the standard roller.
- It can be reused, saving you some money, especially if you have a big painting project.
- Perforation technology allows for even coating, thus leaving you a uniformly painted surface.
- It holds a lot of paint, so you don’t need to use the roller tray too much.
- Optimized for the HomeRight PaintStick EZ- Twist roller. You might not get all the benefits if you use a different product.
- It cannot be used with all paints, only latex, and oil-based ones.
9. True Blue Professional Paint Roller Covers
As the name suggests, these are roller covers that will transform an ordinary painting job into a professional one. Professional painters made the covers, so you can expect them to be versatile, easy to use, and lint-free.
The True Blue paint roller covers are known for their ability to hold paint. In fact, these covers hold as much as three times more paint than the ordinary roller cover does. This means that you can paint thrice as fast with these covers as you would with other covers. Talk about time-saving equipment!
Secondly, the True Blue covers are made of microfiber fabric. Microfiber is especially suitable for roller covers as it is a shed resistant material. With such a roller cover, lint becomes a thing of the past, and painting becomes total bliss.
The covers come in various sizes, ranging from 4 inches to 9 inches to 14 inches and even 18 inches in length. Therefore, you can use them on large projects or tiny ones, such as painting a small closet. Whatever your painting project, rest assured that the True Blue covers will be right for the job.
- Versatile product that can be used on virtually any surface, no matter how rough or smooth.
- It comes in different lengths to fit various projects, so you are spoilt for choice.
- High-quality products developed by experts in the field of painting.
- Made of microfiber fabric that does not leave any fuzz or lint.
- Reusable cover that maintains quality results even after the first wash.
- Hard to clean, mainly if this is not done immediately after use.
- Too much paint gets easily matted and can affect the evenness of the coating.
10. RollerLite All Purpose 9” *3/8 HD Polyester Knit Standard Roller Cover
This is yet another top quality roller cover. Other than its elegant design, it is also made of superior quality high-density polyester material. This makes it the best paint roller cover for smooth walls.
The fact that the cover is made of knitted, high-density polyester means that it holds quite a lot of paint. This translates to fewer dips into the paint tray, which further means that you will paint faster. Thanks to the polyester, you will also not have to contend with lint or any kind of shedding.
The cover is also quite durable owing to its thermos- bonded plastic core. It is resistant to solvents and most other chemical damage. Because of this, you should expect the cover to do a splendid job without any problems.
Quality assurance is guaranteed with this product. The roller covers are made from one central facility, where the quality standards are strictly adhered to. You can expect to use the same quality product every time you purchase these covers.
- Ideal for all surfaces, from rough to semi-rough to even smooth and semi-smooth.
- Durable thanks to thermo – a bonded plastic core that is resistant to damage.
- A consistent application that leaves you with that perfect even coating of paint.
- Quality assurance as they are all made by the same manufacturer.
- Knitted to improve paint- holding capacity, which means you don’t need to use the tray too often.
- Only suitable for water-based paints and not oil-based ones.
- Not reusable, which can be quite costly and wasteful.
With so many options, choosing the right roller cover for your project can be quite confusing. Luckily, there are a few basics that will help you make the right choice. These include considering the size, material, and make of the cover before purchasing it. You also should think about whether the cover is compatible with the type of paint you wish to use it with.
We have included a list of the ten best roller covers in the market. After knowing their features, pros, and cons, choosing which roller cover to buy should not be difficult. Rest assured that the products included in this list are worth your while, and they will not disappoint.
Factors to consider while buying the paint roller cover
Buying a paint roller guide can be confusing, although it does not need to be a daunting task. The key to purchasing the right roller cover is finding one that is best suited to your needs. Do you want a paint roller cover for a one- time project?
Or do you think that you might have to keep painting several over the next few months? How much time can you dedicate to painting? How much money do you have to spend on the roller cover? What kind of surface will you be painting?
Once you have ascertained the kind of roller cover you need, finding it will not be hard. Here are a few factors you should consider before purchasing your roller cover.
The Size of the Roller Cover
It is incredibly crucial that you buy the right size of roller cover for several reasons. First, you want to make sure that the roller cover you purchase is suitable for the roller you own. Nothing could be more disheartening than buying a 9″ roller cover only to discover that your roller is a 14″ roller. Not only could this be a costly mistake, but you will end up wasting a lot of time returning the wrong cover and purchasing the right one. Read the package of the roller cover carefully before you make the purchase. It will save you a lot of time and money.
Consider the Material Used to Make the Roller Cover
Another thing you should check before you buy the roller cover is the material used to make it. Polyester and microfiber materials make good roller covers since they do not shed or leave lint on the wall. Other materials may not be as good, and they can make painting a nightmare.
You should also check to confirm that the roller cover you choose is compatible with the kind of paint you intend to use it with. Some can only be used with oil-based paints, while others are only compatible with latex-based paints. Be careful with the material on your cover; it will determine how much you will enjoy painting.
One thing that makes a roller cover exceptional is its durability. This is particularly important if you intend to reuse the roller cover. To gauge sustainability, look at the material used to make the roller cover, and consider the technique used to create it. Moreover, pay attention to the interior core of the cover. A core made of polypropylene is sturdy and can be expected to last for a reasonably long time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Paint Roller Cover?
A paint roller cover, also known as a nap, is the part of the roller that absorbs paint from the tray and spreads it on the intended surface. It can be contrasted to the paint frame, which is the part of the roller you hold while you paint and controls the cover's movements. The paint roller cover is much like the bristles in a painting brush, although it is a far more effective painting tool than the brush. Paint roller covers come in a variety of sizes. The standard-sized roller cover is 9″ long. Others come in sizes varying from 4″ to 18″ or more. Roller covers are also made of different materials ranging from microfiber fabric to polyester to even Dralon fabric.
When should you change the paint roller cover?
If you are using a reusable roller cover, then you certainly know how important it is to keep it clean and fresh. Whether you use the cover once or severally will depend a lot on how well you maintain it. But what are some telltale signs that you need to replace your roller cover? Roller covers are not meant to last for years, and this will start to show after the first few uses. No matter how well you clean the cover, if the paint is not coming off, ultimately, it is time to toss it out. Instead, you would replace the cover, which costs only a few bucks, than ruin a whole bucket of expensive paint. Additionally, it is advisable to change the cover if you are painting in different colors. If you notice a rough texture on your walls after painting them, it is time to replace the cover. Just toss it out and grab another one.
How should you clean a paint roller cover?
Cleaning a roller cover is not a difficult task. However, it requires a bit of discipline on your part. As soon as you are done painting, start the cleaning process if you intend to use the nap again. Start by removing the excess paint on the nap. To do this, roll the nap on a thin spot on your surface or a newspaper. Then go on to scrape off the paint on the roller. Do it gently and use long strokes. The next step will depend on the kind of paint you are using. If it is water-based, then clean the cover in warm water with a little detergent. Rinse it out and let it dry. If it was oil-based, wash it in a solvent twice, then leave it to dry.
How should you replace a paint roller cover?
Like cleaning the roller cover, replacing it requires a lot of diligence from you. You need to do it as soon as you are done painting. If you leave it on for too long, the paint will dry and make it much harder for you to remove it. To replace the cover, first, soak the old cover in water or solvent immediately after use. Then gently slide it off the cylinder. This should not be difficult, and in most instances, the cover will come right off. However, if you run into any difficulties with this, use a knife to cut the roller gently. This is particularly applicable if you intend to get rid of the cover since any tears will not affect your painting at all.
How long does a paint roller cover last?
Paint roller covers are not built to last for years. However, depending on the quality of the roller you buy and how well you take care of it, a roller cover can be used several times. Generally, the cheaper covers can be used and tossed after the first or second time. You might want to hold on to the pricier ones for a longer time. If you want to keep your roller cover fresh, wrap it in plastic paper or aluminum foil immediately after use. If you do not intend to use it for the next 12 houses, throw it in the freezer. This way, it will stay fresh for up to 4 days. Just make sure you let leave it out of the freezer for about 2 hours before you use it again.
Is the Roller Cover Reusable?
Another factor you should consider is whether or not the roller cover is reusable. Generally, the cheaper roller covers can be used and tossed, but you may want to make use of a costly roller cover more than once. If this is the case, read the label to ensure that the cover is reusable and that you can easily clean it after use.
Last update on 2021-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API