A splitting maul, which is also called a blockbuster, block splitter, sled ax, and go-devil, is a weighty, long-handled ax designed to quickly, easily, and proficiently split wood. It is used for cutting a portion of wood with its grain.
The one side of a splitting maul’s head is similar to a sledgehammer, and the other part is like an axe—enough about its description. I am sure you know these things. I just want to make it clear so that you don’t mistake it for a traditional axe.
Anyway, in this article, we will discuss the top 10 best splitting maul that existed on the market. But, wait, there’s more. We will also provide you a buying guide; thus, you can make an informed decision, comparing the pros and cons. What do you want more? Let’s dive in, then.
Table of Contents
The difference between best Axe and Splitting Maul
Mauls vary from axes in two different features. Once you distinguish between an axe and a splitting maul, it is quite easy to know other aspects concerning functionality.
|Axes usually have a fine sharp edge on a thin and slender head. The best model will have a large, massive wedge-shaped head that may be sharp or blunt.
|The splitting maul is very similar to a sledgehammer with a pointed axe head designed to quickly, easily, and proficiently split wood.
|Splitting axes use their considerable weight and momentum to crush the wood fibers and split the grain logs.
|On the other hand, Splitting maul goes about the work in a different style. In place of dividing like an axe, the maul forces wood fibers parallel to the grain. Asplitting maulalso has a relatively higher handle that can be used for more proficient leverage.
Categorization of the Splitting Mauls
The wedged maul is considered a traditional variation of mauls. This tool’s terminology comes from the shape of the head, and it is like a wedge. The handles of the Wedged mauls are made of wood by tradition. However, modern versions may also have conical heads or swiveling sub-wedges. Nowadays, synthetic fiberglass handles have become quite common as they are more durable. Plastic handles are quite challenging to break. But their factory-attached heads are less likely to do work freely with the levering action of the maul. A typical wedging maul weighs 2.7 to 3.6 kg, respectively.
There are so many different ways to go to the job of splitting. The most conventional method is that you can also use a separate wedge and a large hammer. More massive logs can be easily cut using these wedges as it involves using a lot of the wedges. The head of the wedge is driven with a heavy wooden mallet to prevent mushrooming effectively. England’s E-term maul is used to denote a kind of tool with a massive wooden head.
Powered Log Splitters
The powered Log Splitters contains an electrical, hydraulic, and piston assembly. The amount of force that the log can produce to cut down the wood is based on this issue. The most important and best part about the powered log splitters is – there are so many models available for personal and professional uses.
How to choose the best and ideal Splitting Maul
To select a splitting maul, you have to consider many things. Among them, the most important thing is – handle. The handle could be made of wood, synthetic and metal materials, or another composite. Now you have to decide. Would you choose the handle made of wood or synthetic or metal materials? Generally, Wood is more comfortable to hold, but Synthetic material such as fiberglass is lighter and more durable. The fiberglass/steel combo handles the function to alleviate shock and may be more resilient than the wood handles. The anti-shock properties prevent wrist pain or injuries. It doesn’t crumble to environmental issues. Fiberglass also retains a better grip. The Synthetic/metal handle tends to be more substantial than wood handles as it is reinforced with steel. Some people prefer wood as it has been used for centuries. Whatever the material you choose, please ensure that it has a non-slip grip and feel comfortable using. So, the final choice depends on your personal preference.
The head is also an important thing that you need to consider, especially the head’s weight. A more massive wedge delivers more significant force, but it is more tiring to use. If it is more substantial, then you can bring down more power on the wood. If you can bring down more force, then your work will be faster. But keep in mind that if you are swinging additional weight, you can also get tired faster. So You can choose a portable head if you wish. You also need to check exactly how the head should be connected to the handle. Also, ensure the socket is durable or not?
You also have to make sure that the head’s weight and the handle’s length exist in the right balance. So, it won’t be tough for you to lift and swing. The best and well-balanced maul will give you more power to every swing.
Top 10 Best Splitting Maul in the World Reviews
1. Estwing Fireside Friend Axe – 14″ Wood Splitting Maul with Forged Steel Construction & Shock Reduction Grip – best log splitting maul
The head and handle of this tool are forged in one piece. This makes the tool durable and lasting. It is labeled as one of the world’s safest wood splitter; it may not mark high in design. It can also put up a poor figure concerning the glamor when you compare it to other axes, but, one thing is for sure, it does get the job done correctly. This tool provided commendable performance.
- High-quality build: The splitter offers you the best build quality. The high quality cast iron, which the Kindling Cracker uses, ensures that this tool is built to last. You can also notice that the entire product is created from a solid piece of iron. There are no joints and movable parts in this splitter, making this tool quite a durable product.
- Safe and Easy to Use: The most fantastic matter about the product is that you do not have to contact any sharp instrument while using the product. To make a perfect piece of kindling, you need to place a firewood piece inside the iron safety ring. Then you have to strike with a blunt instrument, such as a hammer, mallet, or even another piece of wood. This tool also makes sure that your fingers are not in danger of being chopped off. This safety feature surely earned the appreciation of the ingenuity of the product.
- Low maintenance cost: Another best feature of this splitting maul unquestionably is its low maintenance cost. When you are using other splitting mauls, you often have to readjust the maul head or also sharpen the blade or varnish the handle. There is no such requirement for this tool. All you need to do was brush this tool and put on a bit of paint from time to time. That’s all; you have to do for this product to shine.
- Ideal for: The weighted wedge design makes the process easy to chop logs and firewoods.
- Heavy-duty sheath: It comes with a ballistic nylon sheath so, it protects the hand-sharpened cutting edge.
- Genuine leather Grip: Hand sanded plus lacquered for a durable yet comfortable finish.
- Worth for money.
- Super easy to use.
- Long-lasting product.
- Shock reducing grip.
- Solid American steel.
- Hand sharpened the edge.
- It comes with a die blade guard.
- Made in the USA.
- Exceptionally safe to use and can be operated even by children.
- The paint can scratch.
- The balance is not always great.
The FiskarsIso Core maul is a well-made and modern tool
- Optimized blade geometry: It provides better penetration and also blasts tough logs apart easily.
- Design: Fiskars put a lot of attention to the design of this tool. If you consider the handle, which is constructed of thick plastic with also a steel-reinforced fiberglass core for additional strength, not only this but also the inside of this handle is insulated to lessen shock and force to your hands while you are splitting.
- Patented IsoCore Shock Control System: It absorbs strike shock and transfers 2X less shock and vibration than wood handles.
- Warranty: Full lifetime
- This Blade is designed to sink quickly into the wood.
- Suitable for splitting wood or driving stakes or wedges
- Shock-absorbing handle,
- Overstrike Collar
- Ergonomic handle design
- Riveted head
- Quality is fantastic
- Worth for money.
- Reasonable Price.
- The Plastic collar is quite easy to damage.
The Fiskars the most affordable, efficient, and powerful wedge on a budget, and it is an excellent choice for the low-budgeters.
Located in theSwedish village of Gransfors, the GransforsBruks Forge has more than 100 years of reputation and experience worldwide.
All the axes produced by GransforsBruk are hand-forged, and they feel so proud of their smiths’ artistry. So they marked the identity of the man tool in each axe head. The most amazing matter is the GransforsBruks Splitting Maul team has promised the environment and assures the world to use environmentally friendly materials to produce their axes.
- Design: This tool’s design is quite similar to the larger splitting axe, but it comes with a slightly longer poll.
- Quick and easy to use: The axe can cut quickly and easily into the wood, then it can efficiently split it as the broader section pushes apart the wood.
- Weight and sturdy poll: This tool’s weight and sturdy poll with beveled corners make the maul perfect to strike a wedge.
- Easy to use.
- Worth for money.
- perfect artistry
- Longer handle
- Best quality.
- There isa small metal collar that protects the handle against mistimed strikes.
- A few people complained that the price is a little expensive, but I don’t think so. It’s one of the best splitting mauls you have ever used.
This splitting maul is pride in the craftsmanship year after year.
Husqvarna is known for a wide array of wooden areas for different types of work. The Husqvarna axes are hand-forged in Sweden. The head of this splitting maul is a hallmark of craftsmanship. You will rarely get such excellent quality head
- Design: It is designed for splitting chunks of the wood, plus a poll is built for driving splitting wedges.
- Cover: It comes with a leather edge cover. It keeps the tool in good condition when you are not using it.
- Head: Head is linked to a hickory shaft using a wooden plus steel wedge to secure fastening.
- It’s also an appropriate size for splitting firewoods.
- Keen edge.
- It has a beautiful look.
- The Hand-forged head is more than impressive.
- The handle is ok but not as high as the head.
- It can sharpen well.
- Good shaft.
- Functional sheath.
- It needs proper maintenance. You have to care for it carefully.
- Do not store in warm conditions; in that case, the handle can shrink.
- If you do not intend to use this splitting maul for a longer time, then grease it to prevent rust.
- It’s on the heavier side. The weight is 6.8 pounds.
The weight of the tool also provides more power for each swing. So, being heavy is also a blessing. This tool can be used for multi-purposes. It accomplishes every axe task gracefully.
The Wilton Splitting Maul is a synthetic handled model, and it is best known for its “unbreakable technology.” It has made a reputation in the wood chopping community. The handle is armored with steel rods, eliminating the risk of cracking or breaking, even when you are overstriking. The most interesting matter is- Witan tests this splitting maul to 25000 overstrikes, so now you can be confident that this splitting maul can take a beating. The handle is protected in a non-slip vulcanized rubber grip, which allows eliminating any hand slip. This feature is unique as we know it can lead to blisters or risky injuries.
- Shock-reducing handles: Like Fiskars, This feature absorbs the vibrations and keeps you safe.
- Splitting Maul’s head: The noticeable hi-visibility wedged head, which is an 8lbs crusher, gives the users a workout it without any difficulty can handle any log you put in the way. It’s a brilliant tool for use on massive logs. You have to get it up in the air; gravity will do the rest. You have to focus on the right spot.
- Unbreakable handle. Like Thor’s hammer. Oops!!! Thor’s hammer is broken this year, but it won’t.
- Anti-vibration neck
- Very well-built.
- Quite heavy
This tool has answered the prayers of the people who have trouble with broken handles. This tool is a brilliant selection for most situations.
6. Truper 32415 12-Pound Splitting Maul with 27-Inch Steel Handle, Red – best maul for splitting wood
This heavy-duty splitting maul is suitable for splitting firewood. It comes with a 27-inch steel handle plus a handles guard.
- Construction: This heaviest splitting maul has a sturdy construction. Overstrike defended the guarded handle.
- Handle: Short steel handle split massive logs efficiently.
- Grip: The grip is tight and comfortable.
- Ideal for wood cutting.
- It also works on kindling.
- Affordable price.
- The handle is not very long.
Truper has more than 40 years’ experience and is considered the top company in Mexico. It always provides efficient technology to guarantee optimum quality.
Since 1760, spear and Jackson Company is known for its innovation and experience. This 6.5-pound splitting maul is constructed to the globally recognized din standard. It features a drop forged carbon head that has been tempered and hardened for better durability, with a hooked end blade.
- Well-made: It is exceptionally well-constructed. The head is well-constructed. The handle also has a standard quality.
- Shaft: It possesses a quality hickory shaft for strength.
- Control: It is quite easy and comfortable to control. It does its job quickly.
- It guaranteed against defects in the manufacture ring.
- Manufactured in France, Australia, or England.
- It has an affordable price.
- The balance is quite right.
- It may need resharpening soon.
- It’s a bit heavy. The weight is 7.58 pounds.
Spear and Jackson is a very renowned brand that always provides quality products.
This is an excellent splitting maul at a very affordable price. According to the RazorBack brand, their tools build and shape great America. They always make their tool efficiently and gracefully.
- Heat-treated head: It is designed with a heat-treated head for superior durability and safety.
- Natural Swing: The balanced head offers a practical and smooth swing.
- Handle: It has a solid, fiberglass core handle.
- Head: It has a forged steelhead.
- It’s very suitable for wood splitting.
- Light and practical flanged blade.
- Safe to use.
- Easy to maintain.
- It’s a bit heavy. The weight is 6.1 pounds.
You can consider this maul too because of its durability and lightweight.
This Splitting Maul is just a basic axe that comes with a simple design of an axe, but it surely does its job efficiently
- Wood splitting: This splitting maul gives the best wood splitting results.
- Easy cutting: The Sharpened edge delivers easy cutting.
- Simple design
- The blade is sharp.
- Low price
- It does not offer shock-absorbing technology.
I find this splitting Maul design is quite beautiful, neutral, and straightforward, and it also comes with a fiberglass handle, which makes this tool great.
This is considered one of the perfect axes for splitting and cutting wood.
- Design: This tool comes with overstrike protection. A guard molded to the handle is also included in the design for a better grip.
- 36-inch fiberglass: The fiberglass core handle provides maximum strength, and the handle is the right length for the force.
- Balanced head: It delivers a smooth and also effective swing.
- Molded handle guard: It will never slip or come loose
- You won’t lose grip when you swing the axe.
- It splits flawlessly with a good grip.
- Reasonable price.
- Some people don’t prefer it as it does not have a wood handle and doesn’t appeal to people.
This tool has many bonus features, and the design is made to make things comfortable and safe for the customers. Then this axe might be an excellent choice for you
This excellent splitting maul is suitable for splitting wood in conjunction with a wood-splitting wedge.
- Handle: It has a 36″ hickory handle.
- Head: It has an 8 lb. versatile steelhead.
- It’s durable.
- It’s easy to use.
- Awesome head.
- Made in the USA.
- The handle is not as high as the head.
It’s a top-notch product that assists you very gracefully.
12. Performance Tool M7111 8-Pound Splitting Maul with Fiberglass Handle – best maul for splitting firewood
This splitting maul has an 8-pound extra-sharp steelhead.
- Handle: It has a heavy-duty fiberglass handle.
- Design: It is designed for maximum efficiency.
- Ideal for: It’s ideal for splitting wood and firewoods.
- Rubber cushion grips.
- Sometimes the balance is not perfect.
This one seems a pretty good splitting maul.
These are thebest splitting maul reviews. I hopethese splitting maul reviews will help you to decide which one is the best for you? In every review, we need to select the best product. Every product we reviewed is best in its own recommended location, but one product will always stand out. So, for this review, it is GransforsBruks Splitting Maul. So, choose your splitting maul and complete your tasks efficiently. Please, feel free to share your judgment and choice in the comments section. Thanks a lot for reading this article.
Additional information About Splitting Maul
Tips for chopping wood
Splitting mauls are the ideal tool for processing firewood. The cutting edge is – unlike a universal text – wedge-shaped, thereby pushing the wood apart. And the weight is higher – which gives the punches more power.
- For softwood, exceptionally sharp slotted mauls are well suited. With hardwood, the blade can be a bit duller.
- For pieces of wood with a log length of fewer than 30 centimeters, mauls with less than two kilograms and with a shorter shaft.
- For longer or fused wood, more than two-pound mauls with a longer handle are better suited.
- You can use a split hammer with a head weight of more than three kilos for massive wood.
- The stiffer the plastic handles of mauls, the more vibrations they pass on to the body. This can be uncomfortable with frequent or prolonged use.
- The fresher the wood, the easier it is to split.
Operation and Maintenance Tips on Using Splitting Maul
- At first, when you are using the splitting maul, please be ensure that there is no one present around or behind you. There is a possibility of an accident if people do not maintain a safe distance.
- Secondly, you can try to cut logs in many swings in place of splitting with a single swing. It helps you to preserve more energy and to work for a long time.
- . Thirdly, you can store the wood in cold places. It will make the fibers merely breakable.
- To keep up its sharpness and best outcomes, you shouldn’t use the maul for other things except splitting wood.
- You should wear the proper clothing so it would be comfortable for you. It is essential to use protective gear when you are working with a splitting maul. Gear like closed shoes, hand gloves, Snug fitting clothes(please don’t wear any loose clothes when you are operating on a maul as the loose part of the clothes might get tangled up in the maul and also can cause accidents), and protective glasses or goggles are essential to make a safe and protected operation.
- You have to ensure that the anterior surface is flat when you are working with your splitting maul. Surfaces such as ice, mud, and rocks can damage the maul’s sharp edge or blunt it.
- You can use a large stump of wood and also a chopping block as a base. So the stump will stop the maul from going beyond and prevent hitting your foot, leg, or a rock on the ground.
- You can use the crack on a piece of wood. So it would be quite easy for you to split. You can aim for the center if there does not have a crack.
- In case any wood has a knot, use another end that doesn’t have.
- Fresh woods are quite natural to split rather than dry wood. So you can break the woods when you get them. The woods can also dry faster if it is cut into smaller pieces.
Caution: if you are not well-rested or drunk, Please do not try to split wood as you are not alert at that time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is a splitting maul?
For as much clout as possible when splitting, the mauls have a comparatively long handle. Small models only have a length of 50 cm but are then referred to as mauls and not as a maul. Splitting mauls with a stick length of approx. 60 cm is suitable for small pieces of wood or softwood. The longer the splitting maul is, the more power can be generated. Commercially models longer than 90 cm are also available.
Are there certain tricks?
The stalk is inserted through the hole on the head of the maul. If the maul is now placed upside down several times firmly on the ground, the head strengthens and should sit securely on the stalk. Over time, he can relax, which can be very dangerous. If the head is no longer safe, the maul can be placed in a bucket full of water. The head must be a few inches underwater. The wood on the stick (where the head is sitting) now swells, causing the maul head to again secure hold. So that the cutting edge remains well preserved for as long as possible, you should clean them after each use with a cloth and then oil a little. A few drops of pure cooking oil are enough for this purpose. To maintain the wooden handle, high-quality wood oil is suitable. This not only keeps the surface but penetrates deep into the wood.
The stem – wood or plastic?
The question of the material of the stem is not just a question of style: wood and plastic handles give the maul corresponding properties of the material, which have a high impact on the durability and the work result. Mauls with a wooden handle are among the most classic designs. They are characterized depending on the type of wood used by long life, high breaking strength, and favorable environmental properties. For the wooden handle processing, a DIN standard prescribes which types of wood may be used. Ash meets the minimum requirements of this standard and has become a widely used standard. The short-fibred and elastic wood is sturdy, firm, and dampens the vibrations when hacking. For the occasional use of the maul, and ash stalk is sufficient. The hickory wood, which belongs to the walnut family, has significantly better properties. The material is considered very stable and kickback. Mauls with a hickory handle absorb vibrations very well and pass them on to the user only to a limited extent. Hickory is three to four times more resilient than ash and plays its positive qualities, especially in a stem break. The long-fiber structure holds the stem together even in the event of a break, preventing the head from suddenly falling off the stem. High-tech plastics are increasingly used in addition to the classic wooden handle, reinforced with glass fiber for better stability. They combine the properties of the wooden handle with the advantages of plastic: they are durable, weather-resistant, easy to clean, and are characterized by their low weight.