Types of Chainsaws
A chainsaw is a complex machinery with more than a dozen of different parts. Furthermore, there are nearly 5 different types of chainsaws you must know as well if you are operating a chainsaw or going to buy one. It is because it will help you to determine which type of chainsaw is fit for you.
The basic job of a chainsaw is to chew through woods with the help of the pair of teeth attached to it. However, the smoothness and the runtime of a chainsaw vary with the different types of chainsaw. Furthermore, there are few chainsaws that even cut through stones and metals.
In the absence of knowledge of the different types of chainsaw, the buyers generally end up getting the wrong chainsaw for themself. In order to ensure that the readers of our blog do not make such mistakes, we have come up with this guide.
This guide will apprise you about the different types of chainsaws you must know. In addition to this, we will also apprise you about the pros and cons of the different types as well. Hence, without discussing further let us head towards the different types of chainsaws you must know.
1. Gas-Powered Chainsaw
Gas-powered chainsaw is the oldest and most popular chainsaw type among the others. It is popular among the customers because of its power which no other type of chainsaw can give.
This type of chainsaw works on a gas-powered two-stroke engine that needs a mixture of engine oil and gasoline to run. The ideal ratio prescribed by the manufacturers is 40: 1 and 50: 1 (fuel to oil ratio). Hence, we should maintain this ratio in order to ensure that our saws run efficiently.
The displacement of gas-powered chainsaws ranges between 30cc to 120cc. As a result, both homeowners and professionals use this kind of chainsaw. The homeowner usually picks a chainsaw with an engine of 30-50cc and a professional goes from 50 to 120cc.
These chainsaws are comparatively more pricy than a battery/corded chainsaw. Furthermore, a gas-powered chainsaw also becomes heavier when we put oil and gas into them. Lastly, gas-powered chainsaws are also the loudest among all the types.
Pros And Cons Of Gas-Powered Chainsaws
Now let us discuss the pros and cons of the gas-powered chainsaws. It will help you to differentiate between the different types of chainsaws which you must know. Furthermore, it will also help you to finalize the decision regarding which chainsaw you must go for.
- Gas-powered chainsaws are the most powerful chainsaw among all the different types of chainsaws.
- A gas-powered chainsaw can run all day long if you maintain the required gas-oil level.
- The life span of these chainsaws is pretty long.
- Gas-powered chainsaws are generally the most rugged among all the different types of saws.
- This chainsaw type is comparatively pricy than the other types of chainsaw.
- Gas-powered chainsaws emit fumes and loud noise while running. Hence, it is recommended to wear ear and eye protection while operating this type of saw.
- Lastly, these chainsaws require more maintenance than the other types.
In case if you have decided to go for a gas-powered chainsaw. Then, we will recommend you to go for the one listed below. It is because the chainsaws given below are tried and tested by our team.
|Husqvarna 460 460R 24" Gas Chainsaw, Orange||108 Reviews||$569.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Holzfforma 71cc G372XP Gasoline Chain Saw Power Head 50mm Bore Without Guide Bar and Chain are...||$294.19||Buy on Amazon|
2. Electric/Corded Chainsaw
The chainsaw which came after gas-powered was the corded chainsaw. These types of chainsaws are the best for homeowners. It is because these chainsaws do not require regular maintenance. Furthermore, you are neither required to fuel it up regularly as it works on electricity.
The prime reason why this type of chainsaw is not fit for a professional is that the mobility of this chainsaw is restricted because of the cord attach to it. However, you can use a portable generator to increase mobility. But, this tip is only recommended for homeowners who rarely go to a yard bigger than an acre. On the other hand, this option is totally absurd for a professional.
The power of corded chainsaws is determined by their amperage. Hence, the higher the amperage chainsaw you pick the more power you will get.
The best thing about these chainsaws is that these chainsaws are cheaper than gas and battery-powered saws. As a result, homeowners with a tight budget go for these saws.
Pros and Cons Of Corded Saws
Corded saws are not much popular because of their mobility issues and other cons. But, you can save a lot of bucks if you are purchasing these saws. Hence, pay close attention to the pros and cons of corded saws. Furthermore, evaluate the cons on your personal basis that whether you need that feature or not. In case the cons prove to be irrelevant for your then corded chainsaws are the best choice.
- Corded saws are cheaper than a battery and gas-powered chainsaws. But, are comparatively more powerful than battery-powered chainsaws.
- These chainsaws are the lightest of all the chainsaws. It is because they do not require a battery or fuel.
- The prime advantage of these saws is that we get unlimited cutting time. It is because we are neither required to refuel them nor recharge them.
- Corded chainsaws does not emit harmful fumes while operating.
- Corded chainsaws are very quiet and you can even hear the blades moving while the saw operates.
- The mobility of the corded saws is limited by the length of the extension cord.
- Repairing these chainsaws is a back-breaking task. As a result, it is recommended to get these saws repaired by a professional to avoid hazards.
- The extension cord of these saws must be plugged into a electrical outlet.
If you have decided to purchase an electric chainsaw. Then, it will be our recommendation to go for the chainsaws listed below.
|Greenworks 14.5 Amp 18-Inch Corded Chainsaw 20332||$99.00 $69.58||Buy on Amazon|
|WORX WG303.1 14.5 Amp 16" Electric Chainsaw||$99.99 $85.43||Buy on Amazon|
3. Battery-Powered Chainsaw
Battery-powered chainsaws also known as chordless chainsaws are relatively new to the market. But, they have garnered massive popularity in a short duration. It is because these chainsaws provide power nearly equal to a gas-powered chainsaw along with the mobility which was missing in electric saws.
These chainsaws are for tasks like climbing, trimming, pruning, and cutting small trees. Hence, we may call it a saw fit for semi-professional and homeowner use. However, recently more powerful battery saws have rolled in the market which performs as well as a gas-powered chainsaw. Therefore, we can also call this type of chainsaw fit for professional use as well.
The initial price of these chainsaws is higher than that of gas-powered chainsaws. But, in long run, these chainsaws prove to be economical. It is because we are not required to refuel the saw for running.
The main drawback of these chainsaws is the battery run time. It is because an average battery lasts for 30 to 60 minutes after a full charge. But, you can increase the run time of the chainsaw by carrying an additional pair of batteries while working.
Pros and Cons Of Battery Saws
Due to their unique features, the battery chainsaws gain popularity quite fast. But, we will like to inform you that there are some cons of battery chainsaws as well which you must consider. Otherwise, you might end up getting the wrong type of chainsaw. Henceforth, we are listing the list of the pros and cons of battery chainsaws.
- Battery-powered chainsaws are as portable as gas-powered chainsaws.
- There is no harmful fuel emission in a battery chainsaw.
- The battery chainsaws operate smoothly and quietly. As a result, you can even hear the blades of battery chainsaws moving while you are operating them.
- It is very easy to start a battery chainsaw. It is because we only need to switch the power button on and it will start running.
- Battery chainsaws prove to be economical in the long run.
- We need to charge the battery of the chainsaw in advance if we want to operate the saw. Hence, in an urgent scenarios battery chainsaws might fail to help you out.
- The cutting time which we get in a charge is 30 minutes to 1 and a half hours. This is very little as compared to other models.
- Battery chainsaws are the most expensive type of chainsaw.
- The batteries take up to 1 hour to get fully charged.
If you are going to purchase this type of chainsaw please make sure that you are going for the best. It is because the market is flooded with tons of in-efficient and inferior battery chainsaws. In case you do not have an idea regarding which chainsaw to go for, you may pick one from the list given below.
4. Pole Chainsaws
In case if you are having a garden/yard with a bunch of trees, then owning a pole saw will be a good option. It is because removing the limbs from the tree with the help of a chainsaw will be a daunting task. Furthermore, using a ladder for reaching branches that are located 10-15 feet above the ground increases the chance of an accident.
In the above scenario, using a pole saw will be an amazing option. It is because pole saws are simply mini saws that are attached to an extension pole which helps the saw to cut branches located high up in the tree.
Note: Pole saws are used for secondary purposes and can not replace a regular chainsaw. It is because the pole saws are designed to cut light objects like branches. Henceforth, you should go for this type of saw if you are already having a regular chainsaw.
Like regular chainsaws pole saws also comes in cord-powered, gasoline, and rechargeable batteries. The battery-powered is the most expensive and corded is the least expensive.
Pros and Cons of Pole Chainsaws
We will not be comparing pole saws with other types of chainsaws in this pro and cons section. It is because the pole saws are secondary chainsaws that you can own along with any of the former three chainsaws. Hence, we will be only discussing the direct pros and cons of pole chainsaws.
- The pole saws are the cheapest among all the chainsaws discussed till now. Hence, you can easily purchase it for secondary purposes.
- Pole saws are easy to carry and lightweight.
- We can also detach the saw from the pole and use it as an ordinary chainsaw for light work.
- Pole saws are only good for one task, i.e cutting the overgrown branches of the trees.
- The pole of most of the pole saws often breaks down easily.
- It will be difficult for a pole saw to penetrate through a thick branch.
One of the most criticized things about the pole saws is that the extension pole breaks down easily. Hence, you should ensure that the extension pole is of good quality if you are making a mood of purchasing this saw.
In order to simplify your task, we have already picked some of the finest pole saws for you. You may pick any one of the pole saws listed below.
|Sun Joe SWJ803E 10 inch 8.0 Amp Electric Multi-Angle Pole Chain Saw, Green||4,954 Reviews||$94.00 $76.99||Buy on Amazon|
|WORX WG309 8 Amp 10" Electric Pole Saw||$89.99||Buy on Amazon|
5. Manual Chainsaws
This is the oldest type of chainsaw and existed way before the gas-powered chainsaws. Now people also refer to manual chainsaws as pocket chainsaws. It is because you can carry these saws in your pocket and cut down small pieces of wood and logs.
All you need to do is to wrap the blades around the object which you want to cut. Then, hold the ends by your hand and start pulling them back and forth until the job is done.
There is a bigger version of these chainsaws available in the market as well which one can use to cut trees. But, these chainsaws will take a lot of time to cut down a tree. As a result, this type of chainsaw is not at all for professional use.
However, this chainsaw is an amazing option for traveling purposes. Furthermore, you can use it for household work too. It is because pocket chainsaws are portable and easy to carry. In addition to this, these chainsaws are the cheapest too.
Pros And Cons of Manual Chainsaws
Manual chainsaws are an excellent option for traveling purposes and for those who have a tight budget. But, these chainsaws have some limitations too. Hence, we will recommend you go through the pros and cons of manual chainsaws before finalizing the decision.
- Manual chainsaws are the most portable type of chainsaw. As a result, it is the best option for travelers.
- This type of chainsaw is the cheapest among all the types of chainsaw. Furthermore, you can also make one for yourself.
- This chainsaw requires no source of power like fuel, battery, and electricity. Hence, you can run this chainsaw for as long as you want.
- Operating this chainsaw is very difficult. Furthermore, it takes a lot of time to get the job done if you are using this chainsaw.
- The heavy-duty task is nearly impossible if you are using this chainsaw.
- Excessive usage might result in fatigue and muscle pain.
If you like this type of chainsaw you can make one for yourself at your home. All you need is a chain along with two handles that you can attach to the chains. However, you can also buy one from amazon as they are inexpensive. You will get a good pocket chainsaw for around 20-50 dollars on Amazon, with the finest quality for 70 dollars. We are listing below the best manual chainsaws available in the market, you may pick one from them.
[amazon box=”B08KGZ2S3J,B08QYTRZWM” template=”table”
In order to make this “Different Types of Chainsaws You MUST Know” blog possible. Our team did tons of research to deduce all the aspects of the different types of chainsaws you must know. In addition to this, we took the help of a couple of authentic websites as well.
Lastly, the chainsaws which we recommended you are the best of the best. It is because we analyzed the different aspects of the chainsaws before listing them here. For instance, we considered the goodwill of the manufacturer, the reviews of the customers, and the performance of the chainsaws.
Hence, we hope that this article proved to be helpful to you and has given you the information which you were looking for you.
If you still have any doubt or queries regarding the types of chainsaws or any other article posted by the best for customer team. Please feel free to shoot them in the comment section. It will be a pleasure for us to hear from you and solve your doubt and queries.
Here at best for customers, we try our best to provide complete and correct information. Therefore, we have a stern guideline for sourcing the information. As a result, we refrain ourself to display the facts and data garnered from tertiary sources because they might have some distorted information that may cause harm to our readers.
- Chainsaw Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chainsaw
- Working With Chainsaws HSE https://www.hse.gov.uk/treework/safety-topics/chainsaw-operator.htm
- Polesaw Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polesaw
You May Also Like To Read About
- 9 Best Chainsaw Brands In 2021 | The Brands Fit For Your Needs
- Best Professional Chainsaw | Honest Review And Guide 2021
- Holzfforma Chainsaw Review | Honest Guide 2021
- Husqvarna 460 Rancher Review | Is It Worth The Hype
- Best Battery Chainsaw In 2021 | Honest Review
- How To Use Chainsaw Sharpener | 3 Simple Tricks To Sharpen The Chainsaw Like A Pro 2021