Traditionally, Gouache is an opaque color that has been functioned by Graphic artists and designers to create posters and other art or advertising materials. As Gouache is a very versatile medium to work, it has become exceptionally popular with artists.
So, at this moment, we started the top 10 best gouache paint reviews for your convenience. We researched the market very carefully as we understand how delightfully quirky you can be about your artwork. We also clearly added which gouache is best in which category. So, enjoy your ride with us and pick up the suitable one.
Top 10 best gouache Paint
1. ARTEZA Gouache Paint, Set of 60 Colors/Tubes (12 ml/0.4 US fl oz) – Best Gouache Paint for Beginners
ARTEZA Gouache Paint is a set of 60 colors suitable for Watercolor Paper, Toned Paper, Canvas Painting, or Using Mixed Media and Watercolors. The colors of this Gouache Paint are not only vivid but also varied. The paints are adorned with vibrantly pigmented colors compactly thick and will provide you a matte finish. What is more, this set has two white colors, which are very useful for blending. These Gouache paints are very thick, which lets maximum coverage. So, a little bit of gouache paint goes a long way.
- The paints are non-toxic and can delightfully be used for your creative venture. It’s ACMI certified.
- The paints have the nature to dry quickly. However, you can reactivate with water. Additionally, the colors blend wonderfully.
- These Gouache paints are vicious.
- The Paints lay down smoothly.
- You can request a replacement or refund. ARTEZA brand believes in a 100% refund or replacement.
- A few colors may seem transparent.
With this Gouache Paint, you will get a very well-deserved opportunity for color selections. It’s very compatible with students as well as beginners.
2. Winsor & Newton Designers’ Gouache Primary Color 6-Tube Paint Set, 14ml – Best Gouache Paint for Calligraphy
Winsor & Newton is a top-notch brand for more than 84 years. In such a long time, they rarely ever disappoint their consumers. They are always known for providing the best art materials and delightful customer service. So, this Winsor & Newton Designers’ 6 tube paint set is a designer gouache used by designers, fine artists, illustrators, commercial artists’ calligraphers, and marblers. Most importantly, this Gouache is flatter, smoother, and more opaque.
- Its features include 6 primary colors in 14 ml (0.47 oz.) tubes.
- These colors are entirely inter-mixable.
- It has unparalleled high levels of pigmentation in the formulation. For this reason, this Gouache has excellent covering power, clean color mixing, and opacity.
- They dry fast and provides a matt finish.
- The colors are brilliant and blend fantastically.
- One or two colors can be a little smelly.
This Gouache Paint will prove a jewel to your collection. It will enhance the flavor of your painting.
3. Royal & Langnickel GOU24 Gouache Color Artist Tube Paint, 12ml, 24-Pack [New Improved Version – Best Cheap Gouache
This 123 ml, 24-pack Gouache has excellent coverage, medium viscosity, and unique mixing characteristics. It has an array of colors, including burnt sienna, cerulean blue, lamp black, crimson red lake, green pale, lemon yellow, Prussian blue, Titanium White, Vermilion, Viridian, White, Yellow Ochre, Medium Yellow, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Umber, Rose, Scarlet, cobalt blue orange-red, medium green, deep green orange yellow and mauve.
- It Conforms to ASTM D-4236
- It has a Pretty Design.
- It provides Great blending quality.
- It has excellent coverage.
- It has vibrant colors.
- Not yet found.
This one has a varied range of colors that really can make your day.
This ½ ounce tube five gouache paint made with pure blackberry honey. This smooth, creamy Gouache paint is manufactured in the United States. It is rich in quality. Additionally, the reflective matte finish offers a vehicle to function alone, plus in mixed media combination with watercolor.
- It dries fairly quickly.
- High pigment loads of deep, dense color.
- Free for chalk and opacifying adulterants.
- Easy to use.
- Great color vibrancy.
- Not highly opaque.
The pigments are strong and bright. Professionals can use it comfortably, and so the beginners.
5. U.S. Art Supply Professional 36 Color Set of Gouache Paint in Large 18ml Tubes – Bonus Color Mixing Wheel – Best Gouache Paint for Professionals
These 36 striking, vibrant gouache colors are suitable to use by young aspiring artists, students, or professional illustrators. It’s made with premium quality artist pigments. The paint’s smooth consistency lets the colors be easily dissolved with water for smooth color blending and mixing. The gouache colors conform to ASTM D4236 and EN71, so they are entirely kidding safe.
- It’s non-toxic, acid-free, and water-based.
- Easy to use.
- Brilliant visual color results.
- It comes with a bonus color mixing wheel to assist you to blend colors effectively.
- 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee. It comes with a full refund.
- Not very much transparent.
This versatile, premium professional-grade Gouache is available at a very affordable price and provides a wide array of color selection opportunities.
This 18 Colors x 30ml Unique Jelly Cup Design Miya Gouache Paint Set is suitable for Gouache Watercolor Painting. It is ideal for students as well as artists. It comes in an array of different colors. You will find the colors such as Deep Red, Black, Ponceau, Ultramarine, Prussian Blue, Earth Yellow, Grass Green, Midlum Yellow, Acid Blue, Burnt Umber, Titanium White, Rose, Lemon Yellow, White, Jade Green, Ochre, Violet, and Pale Green.
- Bottom of FormIt’s designed with high-quality pigment that will not shift or become muddy. Plus, the colors can be diluted with plenty of water.
- After dying, the paint does not crack or crumble.
- The upgraded jelly cups come with an easily removable lid to keep the paint creamy and wet.
- The portable protective box is leak-proof, which makes it a suitable choice for outdoor painting.
- The paints are environmentally friendly and non-toxic. They are ACMI-certified and EN71-3 EN71-9 Certification.
- They guarantee customer satisfaction. And provide 24 hours message hours’ reply service.
- It weighs around 2 pounds. It can be a little heavy for a few people.-
This is an exceptionally affordable portable case with a palette for artists. The colors are very vivid and fun to use.
This 24 vivid colors, 12 ML tubes Madisi Gouache Paint Set is designed with non-toxic formula. It Conforms to ASTM D-4236. So, we can proudly say that it’s entirely safe for you and the environment. It comes in 24 different colors. The colors are Titanium White, White, Orange Yellow, Orange Red, Lemon Yellow, Yellow Mid, Yellow Ochre, Vermilion, Rose, Burnt Umber, Brilliant Purple, Scarlet, Crimson Red, Burnt Sienna, Green Pale, Green Mid, Sap Green, Cobalt Blue, Ultramarine, Viridian, Green Deep, Cerulean Blue, Prussian Blue, Black.
- When the colors are diluted with water, they get a lively, bright effect. The color can be thick or thin due to soaking.
- It has excellent coverage.
- A wide range of colors.
- Lower price. It’s less than $15.
- Nice laydown.
- It’s a little prone to cracking.
The colors of this gouache are bendable and vibrant. A quality product for artists or beginners and a very tight budget can be ideal.
8. Marie’s Extra Fine Gouache Opaque Watercolor Paint Set 12 ml Tubes – Best Gouache Paint for the Students
This transparent tube watercolor paint set provides the best value in the market. It is a set of different 18 colors. The colors include Vermillion, Ultramarine Blue, Titanium White, Mixing White, Yellow Ochre, Lemon Yellow, Yellow Middle, Cerulean Blue, Viridian, Crimson Red, Green Pale, Lamp Black, Sap Green, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Mauve, Rose and Prussian Blue.
- I|t has only transparent binders. So, the colors dry without shifting, which we don’t see with acrylics.
- Gouache can be reworked as the paint film won’t be permanent until sealed.
- It can be used with liquid friskets plus the same scope of techniques as functioned with transparent watercolors.
- It is made with the best permanents in high concentration to produce brilliant results.
- The colors are lightfast.
- The colors corm to ASTM D-4236 standards.
- A few customers stated that one tube came in a different case. Most of the paints came in an aluminum case, but one is in a plastic case.
This set has a range of various colors that are rich, lightfast, and vibrant—an excellent set for beginners or students at an affordable price.
This Liquitex Professional Acrylic Gouache Paint Set is designed to push opacity to its limits. Each color of this set developed to make the optimum opacity possible for its pigment kind. This Gouache provides solid matte color without brush strokes or reflections as it doesn’t reflect the light. Due to this reason. It’s ideal for mixing and scanning with digital effects – making it perfect for design and illustration work. Additionally, this Gouache is water-resistant. The color dries very quickly. However, they don’t move once dry. But it can overpaint without bleeding and attain velvety surface effects.
- The bottle is an easy-open and close lid.
- It comes with a pre-cut nozzle for immediate use.
- The bottle has a screw-off top plus a full neck for easier access. Additionally, it has no corners or shoulders for the paint to get trapped in
- This gouache provides fluidity without water. It offers a creamy, fluid texture with the super brush out, straight from the bottle. So, the application feels flowing, with no drag.
- Sometimes, a bit streaky.
Gouache’s ergonomic bottle design is ultra-pigmented, water-resistant, opaque/ semi-opaque, non-cracking, infinite intermix ability, and has archival quality.
Reeves Gouache Set comes in different sizes, 12 tubes, 18 tubes, and 24 tubes. They have various styles, such as Gouache color, Acrylic color, Oil color, Watercolor, and water-mixable oil Color. You can pick up whichever size and style you prefer. However, the 24 pack one has the colors such as Chinese White, Lemon Yellow, Orange, Medium Yellow, Deep Yellow Flesh Tint, Magenta, Rose Madder, Violet, Brilliant Red, Crimson, Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Blue Hue, Sap Green, Viridian Hue, Ultramarine, Phthalo Blue, Permanent Green Light, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Payne’s Gray, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, and Ivory Black
- It is suitable for teaching color mixing theory.
- The paints can be used on canvas, paper wood, glass, air-dried clay, etc. Wherever I try, it paints beautifully.
- Good pigment.
- It’s suitable for coloring books.
- Very inexpensive. You are getting 24 vibrant colors under $22.
- It has an odd medicinal smell at first.
This is the other best gouache paint for beginners. It does its job very efficiently.
These are our top 10 best Gouache paint reviews. So, understand your requirements and choose wisely. However, if I need to recommend any Gouache, then I will choose. Graham 1/2-Ounce Tube 5 Color Gouache Paint for professionals and ARTEZA Gouache Paint or Reeves 24-Pack Gouache Color Tube set for beginners.
The final call is yours. So, whatever decision you make, best luck with that. I hope your adventure will allow us to enjoy some best artworks; if you would like to share anything, comment below.
Frequently asked questions
Can you paint with gouache on canvas?
Well, you can’t use watercolor gouache on canvas. In that case, the paint may not bind to the surface. However, you can use acrylic/acryl gouache on canvas. Acrylic gouache is more like watercolor paint. It is a hybrid between matte acrylic and opaque watercolor. It can be thinned with either water or acrylic medium. However, be careful when you are diluting acrylic gouache with water.
How do I soften hardened gouache paint?
If your precious gouache dried up, don’t throw it out. It can be reusable. You need some kitchen items to make them better again. The items are a small spoon, a butter knife, a small spoon, a pestle and mortar, warm water, a dropper, scissors or utility knife, and a bowl to place the old gouache. Now we have to go through some steps. Firstly, scrape the dried gouache from the bottle or jar with a butter knife. After this, wash the container. Keep your paint aside in a bowl. On the other hand, if you have to remove the dried gouache from a tube, the process is that you have cut down the side to get it. Then, scrape the paint out with a knife. Put the dried gouache in a bowl. However, if you have an extra paint jar, that would be nice. Now you already have the dried paint scraped out; now, you have to create a satisfactory gouache powder with the mortar and pestle. You also have to add warm water. It can get messy while you are mixing it all. Always add a small amount so that you can have the desired thickness. To control how much water you add, use a dropper. After all these fun parts, use a spoon to put the paint back into the jar. Seal it with a cap. Now you can rework on another dried up color. Follow the same process again and again. And now you have brand new paint to use. Hurray!
What is the best way to seal a gouache painting?
Gouache needs no sealer. You have to Mat it with all alkaline ingredients. Then, frame it under conservation glass and hang out of direct sunlight. After these steps, rotate the gouache into dry, cold, and dark storage space. Now you are ready to go. If you follow these rules, you don’t have to worry about it like half of the year.
What is the lifetime of a Gouache Painting? Can it last a couple of Decades?
It depends on the quality of the gouache. However, quality gouache lasts indefinitely. The less expensive gouache possesses opacifiers that may affect color accuracy over time. Still, it would last longer than watercolor.
What is the difference between gouache and watercolor other than gouache being more opaque?
The main difference between gouache and watercolor is gouache is opaque where watercolor is transparent. Why is gouache opaque? It’s because it has more pigments. Due to that reason, it can cover mistakes. All the paints are made up of the same pigments. What is different is just a binding medium. Gouache dries matte. It inclines to dry in different shades than its saturated color. So, the fact is that you can apply gouache like watercolor. Still, it’s quite challenging to obtain a gouache effect with watercolor.