After cutting down large trees and sectioning them into relatively smaller logs, most people think they have won the battle. However, in reality, they have only reached half of the war. After sectioning the logs, you would also have to turn them into tinier and more manageable chunks, which is, frankly, quite tricky without the best log splitter for the money.
However, in this market of inflation, purchasing a wood splitter all alone can be quite difficult. So, to help you to narrow down your list, we will be talking about 16 of the best wood splitters here. Hence, if you want to know all about them, then make sure to read on.
Table of Contents
- Best Log Splitter for the Money Reviews
- 1.WEN 56207 6.5-Ton Electric Log Splitter – best log splitter for homeowner
- 2. YARDMAX YU2866 28 Ton Full Beam Gas Log Splitter – best 28-ton log splitter
- 3. Champion 25-Ton Horizontal – fastest log splitter
- 4. Titan 3 Point Cat 1 Hydraulic Log Splitter – best 20-ton log splitter
- 5. NorthStar Horizontal – best 37-ton log splitter
- 6. Sun Joe LJ10M 10-Ton Hydraulic Log Splitter – best hydraulic log splitter
- 7. Titan Attachments Hydraulic Log Wood Splitter – best skid steer log splitter
- 8. Powerhouse Log Splitters XM-580 – best log splitter for oak
- 9. Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SELS60 – cheap log splitter
- 10. PowerKing 34 Ton Kinetic Log Splitter – best kinetic log splitter
- 11. RuggedMade 22-Ton Push Through Gas Log Splitter – best gas log splitter for the money
- 12. Sun Joe LJ602E 5-Ton 15-Amp Electric Log Splitter – most powerful electric log splitter
- 13. Kindling Cracker XL King Firewood Splitter – best kindling splitter
- 14. YARDMAX YS0552 5 Ton Electric Log Splitter – best wood splitter for the money
- 15. Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter – best commercial log splitter
- 16. Powerhorse 3-Pt. Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter – best 3 point log splitter
- Factors to consider while buying a log splitter
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Verdict
Best Log Splitter for the Money Reviews
1.WEN 56207 6.5-Ton Electric Log Splitter – best log splitter for homeowner
Since its inception, WEN has always offered high-end products at an affordable price, and this model is a prime example of it. It comes with a 15-amp motor, which can generate 13,000 pounds of power for cracking logs. With its 20-second time cycle, it can quickly chop down 120 logs per hour. Due to this reason, most people consider it as the best residential log splitter in the market.
The wedge of the log splitter comes with a 20.5 x 10 inches measurement, which is quite spacious. Another factor, which makes one of the best log splitters in the market, is its 34-inch stand mount. Therefore, if you have a lower back issue, then this model would be ideal for you.
Moreover, the WEN 56207 also comes with two 5.5-inch never-flat wheels. So, you can easily move it from one place to another, quite comfortably. This is yet another feature that helps it stay at the top of the best log splitter lists for the homeowner.
Lastly, as it is an electric log splitter, it will not require much maintenance and will not emit harmful gases while working.
- It comes with a durable stand that can save you from bending down and hurting your back.
- Due to the inclusion of wheels, it is also highly portable.
- Features a powerful engine
- Its overall build quality and capacity are quite decent.
- It has a high cycle time.
2. YARDMAX YU2866 28 Ton Full Beam Gas Log Splitter – best 28-ton log splitter
Are you looking for a heavy-duty log splitter at an affordable price? Then, the YU2866 model from YARDMAX would be ideal for you. With its 6.5HP motor, it can produce 28 tons of splitting power at one go. With this immense power, it can easily slit through the largest logs within only a few seconds. With its overall efficiency, it can also perform a lot better than the best 35-ton log splitter.
Broadly considered the best 28-ton log splitter, the model comes with a unique 2-way wedge. With this component, it can split the woods into four smaller pieces. It also features a spinner, which reduces the overall stress on the beam by rotating the logs while splitting.
Like many other models of YARDMAX, this one, too, features the U-beam design. It improves the overall strength of the structure by quite a mile. It also has a dual log cradle system, which helps the machine in collecting the smaller logs.
- It has a cycle time of only 13 seconds, which is excellent.
- With its potent engine, it can produce a high amount of power.
- Has a decent overall capacity
- It comes with a two-way wedge, which can cut the woods efficiently.
- The U-beam design of the machine boosts its durability by a mile.
- Its overall build quality could have been better.
No products found.
3. Champion 25-Ton Horizontal – fastest log splitter
Since its inception, Champion has always been one of the leaders in the power generation equipment industry. To strengthen its influence in the market, even more, it has recently launched its new product, Champion Power Equipment 100251. Due to its highly-efficient features, many people consider it to be the best 25-ton log splitter.
This model comes with a massive 25-ton of horsepower, which is better than many conventional machines. With this immense force, it can cut down even the thickest logs quite easily. Moreover, to complete a single cycle takes only 12 seconds, which is quite extraordinary.
Another factor, which prompts everyone to consider it as one of the best in the market, is the dual positional system. With this feature, you can switch the wedge’s position conveniently to accommodate larger and heavier logs.
The only issue with this model is its weight. However, to provide a quick solution to it, Champion has equipped maneuverable wheels with it. Hence, you will have no issues with moving it from one place to another.
- It has a time cycle of only 12 seconds, which makes it the fastest log splitter.
- With its massive 25 ton of horsepower, it can cut down anything and everything.
- It comes with a dual positional system.
- The portability of the model is amazing.
- Its hydraulic lever is easily accessible and usable.
- It needs a strong person to use it.
4. Titan 3 Point Cat 1 Hydraulic Log Splitter – best 20-ton log splitter
If you are looking for a lightweight yet powerful log splitter to split a lumbar into smaller pieces of firewood, then this model from Titan would be ideal for you. With its powerful motor, it can generate an overall force of 20 tons. Moreover, due to its broad wedge, you can accommodate larger and thicker logs in this machine (up to 24 inches). This feature makes it the best 20-ton log splitter in the market.
To manufacture this product, Titan has used high-end steel material. Due to this reason, if you use it a little bit carefully, then the machine can last for many years. However, even though it is quite robust, this hydraulic log splitter weighs only 275 lbs, which is quite impressive.
Nevertheless, the only hitch with this model is that it does not come with wheels, which, in turn, decreases its overall portability.
- It comes with a massive 2-year warranty period.
- Can generate 20 ton of force
- Its overall durability is quite impressive.
- Owing to the 1,3 point attachment, the model is quite easy to assemble.
- It is not that portable.
- Its price is somewhat high.
5. NorthStar Horizontal – best 37-ton log splitter
When talking about the best 37-ton log splitter, the first name that comes to mind is the NorthStar Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter. The model comes with a multi-patented design and features various premium components to make your job easier.
For starters, this log splitter features a Honda GX270 engine, which is quite powerful and efficient. This motor can produce a total force of 37 tons, which is quite impressive for a low-cost wood splitter.
To increase the lifespan of the machine, NorthStar has also added a premium quad-mesh filter with it. It helps to protect the hydraulic system’s components by filtering dust and other harmful particles from it.
Moreover, NorthStar has also equipped with high-speed tires, a two-inch ball coupler, high-speed tires, and an oversized wheel with an adjustable jack to make things more convenient. All these things, together, help in improving the overall maneuverability of the machine.
- The GX270 engine of the model is both powerful and consumes less amount of oil.
- It is highly portable.
- Features a premium quad mesh filtration system
- It has an engine, which protects its motor against falling debris and logs.
- The auto-throttle control system helps to reduce the overall noise of the model.
- Its overall appearance is not that aesthetic.
6. Sun Joe LJ10M 10-Ton Hydraulic Log Splitter – best hydraulic log splitter
Are you on the lookout for the best hydraulic log splitter for home use? Then, this 10-ton model would surely be ideal for you. First of all, the machine has been made with a high-quality steel frame, making it resistant to tears and wear.
Moreover, with its 10-ton of force, it can effortlessly split the logs in just a few seconds. This ability of the machine makes it the fastest hydraulic log splitter in the market. Besides, the overall design of the model is quite compact. Due to this reason, you can keep it almost anywhere in your house.
The wedge of the log splitter is quite wide and broad. Therefore, it can comfortably accommodate logs of up to 18 inches. Unlike other manual log splitters, LJ 10M comes with two longer and more durable handles.
A piston rod is available with this product, helping you reset the ram return spring quite conveniently. The log cradle of the splitter prevents the split and smaller woods from falling.
- It has a 10-ton driving force.
- Can easily cut down the logs of up to 8 inches wide and 18 inches long
- It weighs only 87 lbs and has two highly-maneuverable wheels for better portability.
- It is quite durable
- Its handles are quite long and durable, which makes them easier to grab and hold onto
- Occasionally, it moves while splitting the woods, which can be somewhat disturbing.
7. Titan Attachments Hydraulic Log Wood Splitter – best skid steer log splitter
If you are thinking about buying a log splitter for cleaning up your yard and fetching firewood, this model from Titan Attachments should be ideal. Broadly considered as the best skid steer log splitter, the model comes with a wider wedge. Its incredible size can, quite comfortably, accommodate up to 24 inches of logs.
With its high-end motor, the wood splitter can quickly generate 20 tons of power at one go. With this impressive force, it can split even larger logs within only a few seconds. Titan Attachments has used high-quality steel material to manufacture their model, making it both durable and resistant to damages.
However, due to its heavy-duty construction, the machine weighs almost 384 pounds. Therefore, it becomes a little bit difficult for users to move them from one place to another.
- It has a splitting force of 20 tons.
- Features a wedge auto return system
- It comes with flat face couplers
- its steel-made exterior is quite durable and can resist tears and wears
- Can accommodate up to 24 inches of logs
- Its installation procedure is quite simple and easy.
- It does not feature a wheel system.
8. Powerhouse Log Splitters XM-580 – best log splitter for oak
Due to its beautiful design and exquisite aesthetics, the Powerhouse model is quite popular among customers. The factor, which makes it the best log splitter for oak, is its newly patented hydraulic system. Therefore, this system is quite efficient and can effectively increase the machine’s overall torque by 45%.
It comes with an engine of 4HP, which can generate 9-ton of splitting force. It is also a lot more energy-efficient than other machines. You can use this machine at the expense of only 2900 watts of electrical power. Moreover, the model also does not make much noise while working. Thus, if you purchase this log splitter, you will not have to buy an extra air compressor or fume.
As it can work without fumes, you can use it either on the ground or upon a bench. The machine is also quite easy to use. So, you really would not need any knowledge or experience to operate it.
- it does not make much noise while working
- Its efficient hydraulic system can increase the overall torque production by 45%
- It is quite easy to use
- The machine does not require much electricity while working.
- Can generate a total force of nine tons
- It is quite expensive.
- The model is not that durable.
9. Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SELS60 – cheap log splitter
The SELS60 model comes with a robust 15 amp, 1.75HP-motor, which can generate a total force of six tons. With this power and the heavy-duty steel-made wedge, it can quickly chop down almost any type of branch or logs. Nevertheless, unlike any other cheap log splitter, it comes with two seven inches of wheels, which enhances its portability
It also has a vertically positioned configuration system, making it easier for users to operate it. Although it is quite efficient, the model uses only 120V electricity while working. Besides, due to its small and compact design, the machine will not take much space in your home or garage.
However, it has a time cycle of almost 18 seconds, making things a little problematic for the professionals.
- Does not consume much electricity while working
- Its motor is quite powerful and efficient.
- It is quite easy to use
- Its large wheels increase its overall portability.
- Has average time cycle of 18 seconds
- Its ram gets stuck after a few hours of usage.
10. PowerKing 34 Ton Kinetic Log Splitter – best kinetic log splitter
Widely known as one of the best kinetic log splitters in the market, this machine can generate a force of 34 tons. This impressive ability of the machine helps it achieve a time cycle of only three seconds. A reversible hitch is available with this model, which offers a larger space for splitting logs.
To make things more convenient for everyone, PowerKing has elevated the wedge at the height of eight inches. Also, the size of the wedge is quite large. Therefore, it can accommodate all the larger and thicker logs quite comfortably. It is yet another factor, which prompts everyone to consider it as the best log splitter for the money.
The weight of the machine can be an issue for any user. However, to make things a little bit convenient for everyone, PowerKing has included two large wheels with their machine. With them, you can quickly relocate the machine from one place to another.
- With its large wedge, the machine can easily split down the 24 inches of logs.
- Offers a ratio of 6:1 of hydraulic splitters
- It has a robust and durable build.
- It comes with two wheels, which improves both the maneuverability and portability of the model.
- it is quite heavy.
11. RuggedMade 22-Ton Push Through Gas Log Splitter – best gas log splitter for the money
When talking about the best log splitters, the first name that comes to mind is the RuggedMade 22-Ton Push Through Gas Log Splitter. However, the factor, which makes it the best gas log splitter for the money, is its dual control handle system.
With the left one, you can control the log lifter while the other helps push the ram. The log-lifting handle can help you to pick up even the heavier quite effortlessly.
The RS-322 model of RuggedMade is a push-through gas-powered log splitter. This means that the log cradle of the machine is located at the wedge end. While working, the ram pushes the woods into the wedge, and, upon splitting, the smaller parts fall in the log cradle conveniently.
The RuggedMade log splitter comes with a 212 CC electric start engine, generating up to 22 tons of force. It also features a two-stage gear pump, enabling the machine to complete a single round within 11 seconds.
Moreover, the wedge of the model is quite broad and can easily accommodate the woods to 18 inches in diameter.
- It comes with a two-stage GPM gear pump.
- It features a powerful engine and can generate 22 tons of splitting force.
- Features two 110 inches wheels, which boosts its maneuverability
- It takes only 11 seconds to complete one cycle.
- It comes with a dual control handle system.
- it is quite weighty
- Its overall durability is not that good.
12. Sun Joe LJ602E 5-Ton 15-Amp Electric Log Splitter – most powerful electric log splitter
As an electric log splitter, the Sun Joe LJ602E comes with some excellent features. It has a 2hp, 15-amp motor, which can provide you with a massive five-ton of splitting force for starters. Therefore, you can use it to cut both green and dry woods. Due to this reason, it is considered by many as the best electric log splitter for the money.
Moreover, like other home-use models, this machine comes with a lightweight design and two large wheels. Besides, there are two wheels available with the log splitter, improving its portability even more.
Another factor, which prompts most people to consider it as the best gas log splitter for the money, is its safety features. It comes with an overload circuit reset button, which can stop the machine during overloading cases to prevent accidents. Furthermore, you would have to use both of your hands while operating the machine.
- Offers an efficient and powerful performance
- The pricing of the model is quite affordable.
- It comes with various safety features.
- It is highly portable.
- Not a great option for commercial purposes
- It only has a horizontal splitting capacity.
13. Kindling Cracker XL King Firewood Splitter – best kindling splitter
Are you searching for the best kindling splitter on the market? Then, you can opt for this model of Kindling Cracker. The wedge of the model is made with solid cast iron, making it both durable and sharp. Therefore, with it, you can cut off any piece of wood quite conveniently.
With its permanently mounted splitting head, the model is quite easy and safe to use. After that, the iron safety ring comes with a 9-inch diameter, which can accommodate even the larger logs quite comfortably.
Widely known as the best log splitter for the money, this model of kindling cracker has a 10.5-inch base. It helps in holding the machine steadily while you are using the firewood splitter. Due to its high-end build structure, the machine also does not require much maintenance.
The only thing you have to do is paint it from time to time to make it look brand new.
- it is quite durable and does not require much maintenance
- Its 17 inches of height enables the users to cut down longer woods quite efficiently.
- With the impressive 9 inches of size, the model’s top ring can handle thicker firewood pieces.
- Due to its simple structure and configuration system, the model is also quite safe and comfortable to use
- It is usable in both the indoors as well as the outdoors.
- Its heavy-weight design makes it harder for the users to move it from one place to another.
14. YARDMAX YS0552 5 Ton Electric Log Splitter – best wood splitter for the money
If you research thoroughly, then you can, undoubtedly, find many efficient log splitters. However, when it comes to the best wood splitter for the money, none of them can beat the YARDMAX YS0552. The model comes with a powerful motor, which can generate up to 5-ton of RAM force. Therefore, with this machine, you can split both softwoods as well as hardwoods.
The machine’s wedge has a five-inch size and can provide accommodation to logs with a 10-inch diameter without any issue. To make things more convenient for you, YARDMAX has also included a stand, a stroke limiter, and a log tray with it.
Another factor, which makes it the best log splitter for the money, is its wheel system, which includes two 7-inch wheels. With them, you can move the log splitter from one place to another without using much of your force.
- With its 5-ton splitting force, it can easily handle both softwoods and hardwoods.
- Installing and setting up the model is quite easy.
- It comes with a separate stand, which can help you to work more conveniently while standing.
- Due to its two-handed operation feature, the machine is quite safe to use
- It comes with a stroke limiter and log tray to make the user’s job a lot simpler.
- It has a time cycle of 16 seconds.
- Its overall durability is not really up to the mark.
15. Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter – best commercial log splitter
Even though splitting logs with two hands is safer, but it generally takes a lot of time. Hence, if you are looking for a solution to this problem, we would suggest you go for the ES7T20 model of Boss Industrial model. Various features make it the best commercial log splitter in the market. Here are some of them.
One of the best things about this log splitter is the automated ram return feature. With this feature, the splitter offers a single-handed operation. Moreover, it is also quite light and comes with two wheels. Therefore, you can surely move it from one location to another without any inconvenience.
Unlike most gas-powered machines, ES7T20 does not emit any harmful gases. Moreover, as it operates in 115VAC, you would not have to install a 220V receptacle separately. Boss Industrial has designed its model in such a way that it can comfortably handle woods of up to 10-inch diameter.
- Because of working on a 15A circuit, it does not make any harmful emissions.
- The overall design of the model enables the users to operate it single-handedly.
- It has an ergonomic handle and two huge pneumatic wheels.
- An automated ram returning system is available with this model.
- It comes with a powerful 2HP motor.
- It does not feature a hydraulic fluid chamber.
- Its wheels are prone to wearing down.
16. Powerhorse 3-Pt. Horizontal/Vertical Log Splitter – best 3 point log splitter
Since the beginning, Powerhorse has always offered high-end products at an affordable price, and this one is a perfect example of that. Widely considered as the best 3 point log splitter, this model also exhibits a reinforced stripper design. It helps the machine to get rid of any jammed or stuck log from its wedge.
Instead, it uses the hydraulic of your tractor to create almost 22 tons of splitting force. So, as you can understand, the machine’s time cycle would depend on your tractor’s capability.
While manufacturing their log splitter, Powerhorse has used I-beam technology. It helps the model in preventing damages from bending, breaking, and twisting.
For more convenience, Powerhorse has also equipped a log cradle with this model. Hence, when you are splitting woods, you do not have to run around and pick up the smaller parts.
- It can generate a ram force of 22 tons.
- The reinforced stripper design does not let any wood parts get jammed in the machine.
- The implementation of I-beam technology boosts the model’s overall durability.
- Its auto-return wedge system can save both the user’s time and effort.
- It has a log cradle to collect logs.
- Not yet found.
Factors to consider while buying a log splitter
Like everything, before buying a log splitter, you would have to consider a few things. Here are some of them.
Durability and Security
Believe it or not, the log splitters generally use a lot of force to cut the woods. Therefore, if you do not buy a durable machine, it would be quite difficult to go through all the hardships. If it breaks in the middle of working, then the overall trouble will increase even more.
So, along with opting for a durable product, you should also look for security, which means the product’s warranty period. Make sure to opt for a product that has a warranty period of at least two years.
Hydraulic System and Motor
A high-quality wood splitter needs to have a better hydraulic system to work correctly. Without a powerful motor and hydraulic system, it will not be able to generate enough force. Hence, it will be even more difficult for the machinery to cut down the bigger logs.
Type of Power Input
In the log splitters market, you will find two kinds of power input: electricity and gas. The gas-powered log splitters are more powerful than the electric ones.
So, if you want to use the splitter to cut down bigger tree trunks, then go for the gas-powered options. But, if you’re going to use it at your home, then the electric-powered ones would be ideal for you.
The pressure of a log splitter is usually measured in tons. If your wood splitter has a higher amount of tonnage, it can produce a lot of pressure. With this immense power, it can quickly and comfortably cut through even the thicker logs.
However, if you want to use the log splitter on your home, you can opt for a low-pressure log splitter. For home-use, a model with five to eight tons would be perfect.
The term cycle time denotes the period which your log splitter takes to complete a single operation. If a machine takes less than 15 seconds to complete its first task, then it should be ideal for you.
Some models, chiefly the non-hydraulic splitters, require only three to four seconds to complete their task. However, sometimes, they generally cannot split the logs, especially hardwoods, properly.
Hence, it is always better for everyone to go for products that have an average cycle time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a log splitter?
A log splitter is a type of electrical equipment, which is generally used by most people to split firewood from softwood and hardwood. Also known as the wood splitter, this machinery consists of a rod and piston or a hydraulic. These components help the tool in generating force, which is required for splitting the woods. Most log splitters, for home-use purposes, usually have a force rating of around ten tons. However, the professional ones have a rating of at least 30 tons or more.
What size log splitter do I need?
The size of a log splitter usually depends on two things, which are – the size of the logs and their density. For example, if you are thinking about splitting a six-inch branch, then a four or five-ton log splitter would suffice for you. However, if you want to split a 30-inch tree trunk, then you would require the force of 25-ton equipment. Similarly, you would require a more powerful log splitter for hardwoods as they have a higher amount of density. On the other hand, the softwoods are a lot less dense and lighter than the hardwoods. So, you can split them with smaller log splitters quite efficiently.
What size cylinder for log splitter?
It is yet another thing, which would depend on where you will be using the log splitter. If you are considering using the machinery to cut smaller branches, you can opt for the smaller cylinder. Nevertheless, for professional use or cutting bigger logs, you would require a bigger cylinder. Most of the high-tonnage log splitters generally feature a cylinder of 24 inches.
When to change hydraulic fluid in a log splitter?
Be it an electric or a gas log splitter. You should always alter the hydraulic fluid within every 100-120 hours of work. While using a log splitter, the hydraulic fluid tends to heat up by quite a huge margin. If you do not change it regularly, it might affect the hydraulic system's overall efficiency. Besides altering the hydraulic fluid, you should also change the hydraulic oil filter daily to keep the machine at an optimum condition.
Where to buy a log splitter?
You can purchase log splitters both from hardware shops as well as from the online marketplace. However, buying from an online website, such as Amazon.com, is a better idea as they provide authentic and branded products at a lot less price.
How to use a log splitter?
Before switching on the central button of the log splitter, you would first have to determine its type. If it is gas-powered, then you would have to gill it up with fuel. However, if it runs on electricity, you would only need to connect its plug to your house’s main switch. Once you switch on the splitter, you would have to place the log securely on the wedge. Now, you would only have to find and push the activation button and push it or pull it if it is an arm.
How does a log splitter work?
A log splitter generally utilizes an efficient hydraulic system for creating a high-powered force to cut the logs and woods. On the other hand, the hydraulic system requires a power source, such as electricity or gas, to work. Once you put the gas or oil in the splitter, the hydraulic system's oil pump starts creating pressure on the piston. Due to this sudden stress, it will begin moving and help the system in applying force on the logs.
Does a log splitter need to be registered?
It would depend on the location where you are currently living in. However, if you are using a smaller log splitter, then you probably would not have to register or legalize it.
The log splitters are incredibly essential for cutting down the logs into smaller pieces. However, to enjoy better performance from them, you would have to opt for a high-end product. So, while purchasing the machine for your own cause, you would have to look for its safety features and durability first.
After that, you would have to determine the type of usage. If you want it for home use, then you can opt for a smaller and cheaper model. If you are a professional, it would be better for you to opt for a heavier and more powerful machine.
Due to this reason, you should always buy anything only after you have determined your needs and requirements. Otherwise, it will be difficult for you to find a machine that is perfect for your cause.
Last update on 2021-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API