Rain barrels are also known as a rainwater tank. In the USA, it is also known as water butts. It is an environmentally friendly option for the people of the world. Rainwater collected in the barrel, which can use for many reasons. You can use rainwater to water plants on a dry day or wash a car. You can also store water during the rainy seasons for use during the drier period. We have tested 73 rain barrels and selected 10 best rain barrels for you.
Table of Contents
- Why you should use rain barrels
- 10 Best Rain Barrel Reviews
- 1. Good Ideas IMP-N50-DBR Impressions Nantucket Rain Saver Rain Barrel – Best Functional Rain Barrel
- 2.RTS Rain Barrel– Best Decorative Rain Barrel
- 3. Kool scape RBSS-75 75-Gallon – Best Rain barrel for the Money
- 4. Algreen Rain Barrel – Best looking Rain Barrel
- 5. Enviro World Corporation – Best Sturdy and Functional Rain Barrel
- 6. Good Ideas RW-50-OAK Rain Wizard – Best Decorative Rain Barrel
- 7. DIY Kit, Used Food Grade Barrel – Best lightweight Rain Barrel
- 8. Good Ideas IMP-L50-GRN Impressions Palm – Best Eye-catching Rain Barrel
- 9. Good Ideas RB55-BLUE Recycled Barrel
- 10. Upcycle 55 GALLON GRAY – Best economical Rain Barrel
- Purchase Criteria: You must pay attention to this
- Frequently asked questions about a rain barrel
Why you should use rain barrels
- You are helping the environment by conserving water. Doesn’t it give you the satisfaction that you are helping the situation to make it better?
- It helps you slow down stormwater runoff.
- It reduces energy.
- This tool can save your money which you have to give for the water bill.
- This gadget offers pure and clean water without added chemicals.
- Rainwater is best for plants.
10 Best Rain Barrel Reviews
1. Good Ideas IMP-N50-DBR Impressions Nantucket Rain Saver Rain Barrel – Best Functional Rain Barrel
This rain barrel is known for its functionality and simplicity. Let’s explore the features of this rain barrel.
- Capacity: This Best Functional rain barrel has 50-gallon ability plus planter.
- Shape and design: This tool has Urn shape and converse water without destroying your home’s outer appearance, and its color adds class and style. Its design makes your house more stylish and attractive.
- Self-draining: This has the top functions as a planter that drains excess water so you can avoid root-rot.
- Meshed Screen: This gadget has a meshed screen which helps to keep out debris, insects, and animals.
- Flatback design: This design allows for sitting tightly against any outside wall.
- Rooted Channels: It diverts excess water to the front of the barrel to keep water away from your home’s foundation.
- High-quality design: It is designed with a high-quality, sturdy brass spigot which helps the gadget not to rust or break like plastic alternatives.
- Unique shape and design.
- One-year warranty.
- Very sturdy.
- Reasonable price.
- Durable construction.
- Not yet found.
This is one of the best if you consider the function and design. You will find this tool incredibly useful.
2.RTS Rain Barrel– Best Decorative Rain Barrel
This best decorative rain barrel is a visual delight to the eyes. But, what is surprising is, it’s equally a handy rain barrel.
- Authentic Oak Barrel Texture: The authentic oak barrel texture is molded into each barrel, so it will never fade, rot or risk insect infestation.
- Water Collection: This tool uses the linking kit to link several barrels together so you can increase your water collection.
- Various colors: This gadget is available in a variety of colors. So, you can choose the best color to suit your home.
- Aluminum Screen: This feature allows the tool to keep out debris, insects, animals, and children.
- 50 Gallons: This gadget can provide 50 gallons of pure, unchlorinated water. A typical roof can produce 100 gallons of water during heavy rainfall and saving the water you can diminish your average water usage. So you can use saving rainwater later.
- High-quality plastic with a brass spigot.
- Spigot works great.
- Easy to use.
- The screens can get knocked off during heavy rainfall.
RTS Home Accents is considered an excellent product, and it offers you all the features that you need for a rain barrel.
3. Kool scape RBSS-75 75-Gallon – Best Rain barrel for the Money
This rain barrel is classic beauty at a very affordable price. It has some great features that beneficial Check it out.
- Appearance: This has a Unique Stone-look appearance.
- Brass Spigot: This gadget offers you Brass Spigot, which allows you easily to access to fill water can.
- Screen Guard: This tool delivers you, corrosion-proof screen guard.
- Color: The color of this tool is entirely different and unique from other instruments. The sandstone color makes your house smarter.
- Size: The size is 75 gallons.
- Temperature: This can withstand extreme heat.
- Holds the right amount of water.
- The design is quite appealing.
- Useful tool.
- Easy to set up.
- Some people complained about the quality of the faucet. They say it is mediocre and fills a little slowly.
This is a lovely addition to your home.
4. Algreen Rain Barrel – Best looking Rain Barrel
This exquisite beauty will light up your garden or house with its presence. Even though it’s the best looking rain barrel, but it’s also perfect in terms of functionality and features.
- Design: This is beautifully designed with authentic pottery like texture.
- Rotationally molded plastic: This tool is made out of flexible, roto-molded plastic which can able to withstand extreme heat and will not chip, fade, or crack over time.
- Double-wall: This offers you a double-walled design, which adds to its strength and durability.
- Brass Spigot: It comes with a high-quality brass-spigot, which adds elegance and corrosion-proof screen and bottom-fitting attachment, which gives you full authority for access to 100% of the water in the unit.
- Color: The Gadget is available in your choice of color.
- Holds up 65 gallons.
- Easy to assemble. You’ll need one slotted screwdriver.
- Quality is excellent.
- Gorgeous color.
- Drain hose quality is not very good. It will probably need to replace after one or two years. So return with a decent hose.
This is the best looking product present on the market.
5. Enviro World Corporation – Best Sturdy and Functional Rain Barrel
This is a robust and one of the best rain barrels which will serve you for a long time.
- Capacity: This Best Functional Barrel has 55 Gallon capacity.
- Design: The modern, sleek flat back design is perfectly suitable for any location around the home.
- Brand new looking: As this tool is made from Injection-molded high-density polyethylene, so it is quite easy to keep clean and fresh year after year.
- Complete package: This gadget provides you all brass standard size spigot, extension hose, powder-coated steel screen and child-locking screws — all you need for years of use.
- Spigot: The spigot allows you to access quickly with any watering can without using a stand to elevate a valve.
- Barrel Lid and Screen secured with child-locking screws: These features offer you additional safety for children and animals.
- The barrel is quite large.
- Simple design.
- Easy to install.
- Must be drained need to move into protected storage area every winter.
This is simple, as well as attractive. This tool is much stronger than average barrels present on the market. It also has a pretty good rating on Amazon.
6. Good Ideas RW-50-OAK Rain Wizard – Best Decorative Rain Barrel
This is a flat-back rain barrel which is known for its environmentally friendly features.
- Capacity: 50 Gallons.
- Made of: This made of FDA approved BPA free polyethylene, which is resistant to rust, rotting, mold, and mildew.
- Design: It provides you flat-back design that saves space.
- Color: UV-Resistant polyethylene, which allows you to maintain freshness and integrity for years to come.
- Safety: The integrated top is not removable, which makes the barrel is safe for children and animals.
- Look: This tool offers you a classic whiskey barrel look.
- Good looking.
- Reasonable price.
- Works perfectly.
- Instruction in 3 languages.
- No removable lid: Makes cleaning a little tricky, but don’t forget – it also makes barrel safe for children and animals.
This beautiful rain barrel deserves a shot.
7. DIY Kit, Used Food Grade Barrel – Best lightweight Rain Barrel
This is an environmentally friendly rain barrel which designed to save tour water bill plus assist control moisture levels around the base of your home.
- Made of: It’s made from food-grade drums that have a significant meaning. It means this rain barrel generates safe water for all of your vegetables, fruits, or other consumable plants.
- Plastic Mesh screen: It comes with a secure on/off twist top lid with the plastic mesh screen so that you can catch the leaves, sticks, or anything else.
- Brass Spigot: The rain barrel also has a brass spigot, which is installed and sealed with the waterproof 100% silicone caulk.
- Range: The rain barrel range is 180-220 liters.
- Dimension: the dimension range is from 23-24″ diameter, plus 35-41″ tall.
- A downspout adapter is included in the deal.
- Brass overflow valve to attach a garden hose.
- Rainwater can be used as a backup source.
- “Softer rainwater” is impressively healthy.
- It’s (softer rainwater) highly oxygenated, fluoride and salt-free properties.
- Sometimes water can drain a little slowly.
This environment-friendly rain barrel is a delight to use.
8. Good Ideas IMP-L50-GRN Impressions Palm – Best Eye-catching Rain Barrel
This rain barrel has a unique look. It will make a pristine beauty to your place. This has a unique look. It will make a natural beauty to your home.
- Capacity: 50 gallons and planter top.
- The texture of a Palm tree trunk: Palm trunk Finish adds class and style to your rain harvesting.
- Meshed Screen: This tool offers you such a beautiful mesh screen that blocks debris and insects from entering your water supply.
- Design: This is equipped with a brass spigot that provides you such a sturdy brass spigot that will never rust or break.
- Dual Spigot: Two spigot location for buckets and hoses where one is set up for 5-gallon bucket so that it can be filled or use it as an overflow into a second barrel.
- Made in: USA
- Captivating features.
- Attractive design and shape and color.
- Reasonable price.
- Spouts are exceptionally touchy, so sometimes they leak a little.
This is one of the best appealing that you can find in the present market. One thing is for sure your neighbors won’t feel tired to give compliments for this.
9. Good Ideas RB55-BLUE Recycled Barrel
This rain barrel has an effortless look, but its quality is more than pure. It’s royal.
- Capacity: 55 gallons.
- High-quality Brass spigot: This provides you brass spigot for accessing water and a screen on top that keeps the water free of debris and insects.
- Food-grade Barrel: The rainwater collected in this food-grade barrel is entirely safe for gardens, but it is not suitable for drinking.
- Resistant: This is resistant to rust, mildew and rotting.
- Color: Blue color reduces algae significantly.
- No new materials needed for its construction.
- Easy to assemble.
- Great quality.
- Some customers complained about this tool’s smell, but the odor would dissipate after the first few cycles of rain.
It has an excellent rating on Amazon, and they look quite satisfied with this tool.
10. Upcycle 55 GALLON GRAY – Best economical Rain Barrel
This rain barrel is known for its brilliant features rather than its stainless look.
- Capacity: 55 Gallons.
- Appearance: The simple gray plastic provides you a clean and functional look. Be noted- vinyl can be painted.
- Easy Install: This tool’s all fittings are pre-installed, and it supports standard hose thread sizes, so no device is necessary.
- Design: Designed with the metal mesh screen to keep debris and mosquitoes out of the barrel.
- Economic and sustainable advantages: This is handy. It is recycled and re-purposed.
- Ecological Responsibility: If you consider environmental responsibility, you won’t find another one that is on par with Upcycle. At first, it used to ship pickles overseas. Don’t worry about the acidity of the pickled food. The Upcycle clean each barrel with rainwater and pH-neutral soap before converting it. Then it is perfectly suitable to be used as a barrel. If you are purchasing it, you are also participating in making use of the food industry’s waste and making it re-purposed as well as making the best use of the trash.
- Solid Product.
- Easy to set up.
- Low cost.
- HDPE plastic must be drained every winter. So, Upcycle recommends leaving the spigot and linking hose fitting open during the winter.
- The hose tends to kink, but you can fix it quickly. You have to buy a 50 cents hose bracket and drive a screw to support the tube. Then it won’t kink.
I find this gray look quite beautiful, neutral and straightforward. This tool is one of the best functional and responsible barrels. If you are concerned about the look, remember that you can paint however you want. Overall I love the product and find a lovely addition in my home. I am quite sure you also like this product and find it quite useful.
Purchase Criteria: You must pay attention to this
According to statistics, the average rainfall in the USA is 688 liters per square meter. Garden owners, environmentalists, and savvy foxes should tip their ears: Whenever it rains, you can not only conserve the environment but also save time and money by watering your plants in the garden by rainwater.
Did you know that rainwater is even better than drinking water from the plant to water plants? See our extensive comparison, which makes the best choice and finds out which barrel is worth the most for your garden.
1. Shape and capacity
Rainwater barrels are available in different ways. The most common in many barrels are round and square rainwater. Depending on where you want to place the rain, you should choose a round or rectangular model.
If you decide on the “best rain barrel checking,” it can be easily inserted into corners (e.g., next to the garden house). This is suitable for gardens in which not every centimeter is planned. In any case, the proximity to the gutter is necessary. The capacity of the rainwater tank depends on its size. The larger the barrel, the more rain it can hold. If you have a medium-sized garden, it is worth 360 l, for a more extensive garden, a barrel with 500 l capacity.
A 1,000-liter rain or an underground tank (cistern) is worthwhile for farms and farms but is too big for own flowering. If it is large, you can place it in the garden – if it is small (e.g., 30 l capacity), it also fits on the balcony.
The rainwater can merely be connected to the gutter guard. So the stormwater flows into the bin. A separately available filling machine (falling pipe filter with a sieve), which you attach to the rain gutter, serves as a filter or strainer and prevents the water belong to the barrel.
Also, the filling machine functions as an overrun stop. The value of the barrel filling pump closes after an absolute water pressure. This prevents the rain collector from overflowing the full water. To fill the rainwater, you have two options: Either you scoop it from the top of the bucket, or let the water flow out through the spout.
If the rainwater has a small diameter, your watering cannot fit in, and you cannot fill it. For this, you need a rainwater tank with drain cock and base. The spout is similar to a tap that you can either connect directly to the garden hose or fill the watering can. Depending on the height of the outlet valve, it is advisable to place a base on the water channel so that you can fill your watering can more easily.
If you are looking for a comparative winner, this should have a tightly lockable cover. This not only ensures that leaves and dirt fall into your cold water but also protects the wet material from algae formation due to sun exposure. If you have a large, tightly closed lid also protects children and pets from accidents or drowning. The covers of some rain collection models can be planted with flowers and are thus not only functional but also decorative.
Usually, no significant cleaning work is required to maintain the rainwater tank. When you make your garden winter-proof, remember to pour the water out of the bin before the first frost, so it does not burst.
Frequently asked questions about a rain barrel
What to do against mosquito larvae in the rain barrel?
Mosquitoes fly in the most real sense of the word to standing waters (e.g., ponds, lakes, but also water tanks). There the insects are laid down to lay their eggs. In July, the larvae hatch. If there are no natural enemies (e.g., fish and birds) in the water, the mosquitoes spread quickly. A rain cover with lid prevents the annoying mosquitoes in your garden from multiplying. Always keep it closed when your barrel is full and you are not skimming any water. Another tip against the tormentors: Some plant odors such as the smell of lemon, tomato plants, and walnut trees cannot stand the mosquitoes. If these plants are close to the rain, the mosquitoes should stay away.
How fast is the rainfall full?
A practical rain gauge helps you measure the rainfall in your garden. Depending on the rainfall per square meter on your location and the diameter of the tone, your barrel will be full in a few hours. You can speed up the filling of your rain tank: For this, connect the water barrel for the garden to the rain gutter.
Which is the best rain barrel for the balcony? Is there a wall tank?
For the balcony is best, a rainwater tank or rain collection tank with a little volume suitable. This should not be too heavy or too bulky. A wall tank is less ideal because it is too cumbersome.
What to do against algae in the rainwater tank?
If the water sinks in the rainwater tank, you should not use it to pour water. A look into the rainwater tank tells you if algae have formed. These must be removed, e.g., with a chemical algae remover and a high-pressure cleaner. In the longer term, more sensible than such measures is to prevent algae formation from the outset. A tightly closed lid protects against solar radiation and thus against algae formation because high solar radiation favors rapid algae growth through the combination of light and heat. Incipient foliage provides algae food: an ideal biotope is created. For this reason, the majority of tests recommended to avoid algae formation in the water tank, place it in a shady place protected with a closed lid.
What are the quality deficiencies in rain barrels?
If you read customer reviews of different rain stores, you get an impression of the customer complaints. For those who are interested, this is the valuable additional information. One can forgive minor quality defects for a low price. From an individual investment level, however, deficiencies are more than annoying, especially since the return is often problematic. Frequent quality defects are: (complicated assembly (wood model) transport damage, unstable construction (wood model), poor processing, resulting in leaks, unplaced drain holes (plastic model) Value difference, poor handling, sharp-edged ridges (plastic model), non-mounted exhaust cock, no pre-drilled hole for this (plastic model) not removable lid, lack of cleaning possibilities (wall model), If you do not want to store the freshwater and have, the, e.g., order in the garden and house, we recommend you our customer test for the storage. Have fun shopping!
Do I need a Rainwater pump or not?
An automatic rainwater pump can make the life of the garden owner very easy. A rainwater pump might not be appropriate in a small way, but with a home with a large garden. The self-priming pump consists of a tank, a pressure switch, a hose and alternatively a battery, an electric motor, or a solar module. The pump automatically pumps water into its temporary storage tank. The gardener can then place the watering can under the filling opening whenever he needs water. Of such rainwater pumps, there are more straightforward and more complex models. Simple models suck the rainwater from the rainwater and direct it into the bucket below. So-called “submersible pumps “are suitable for underground water tanks. More expensive rainwater pumps can also be used as a dirty water pump. So you could also empty an under-basement cellar. However, this possibility of use is now very far from the actual topic.