Do you fancy to mount a motor to your canoe? It can be a lovely addition to your fishing setup. It also lets easy repositioning while holding control of your rod. But there is a complication. Usually, trolling motor mounted on the flat surfaces. And the conventional canoe (does not have their bow or stern) can’t manage it well. So, you require a canoe with a ransom. Here comes square stern canoe.
Table of Contents
- 5 Best Square Stern Canoe for Fishing
- 1. Old Town Discovery Sport 15 Square-Stern Recreational Canoe, Camo, 15 Feet 3 inches
- 2. Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Discovery Sport 15 Square Stern Recreational Canoe, Red
- 3. Sun Dolphin Scout SS Canoe (Green, 14-Feet)
- 4. SUN DOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Mackinaw SS 15.6-Foot Canoe
- 5. Mackinaw Square Stern 15.5 ft. Canoe
- My pick up for the best
- Necessary accessories for square stern canoe
- Frequently Asked Questions About Square Stern Canoe
5 Best Square Stern Canoe for Fishing
To help your adventure, we picked up a top 5 square stern canoe for your convenience. So, enjoy your ride with us and pick up the suitable one.
1. Old Town Discovery Sport 15 Square-Stern Recreational Canoe, Camo, 15 Feet 3 inches
The recreational canoe provides the perfect balance of speed, stability, and capacity.
At the very first, let us talk about the Canoe seats.
The three seats of this canoe are breathable, UV-resistant, durable, and nylon-webbed. It let air flow freely all-day ease.
Furthermore, the three-layer polyethylene canoe frame features vinyl gunwales plus easy carrying handles.
Now let’s talk about its capacity.
This canoe can carry 3 people and 1650 pounds easily while paddling. Capacity with motor is four people or 800 pounds.
Now let’s talk about the technical part.
The measure of this canoe is around 15 feet 3 inches. It weighs around 113 pounds. So, it’s not a light canoe.
Why you should use old Town Discovery 15 square-stern recreational Canoe:
The cool thing about this canoe is that it’s designed with full-length stabilizing chines plus generous beam. It will offer you a dry and confident ride.
Things we like most :
- It can be paddled or motored up to a 4-horsepower motor.
- You can try a variety of paddling styles.
- The handles are extremely easy to carry.
- You can use this canoe in a lake or river.
- This canoe is sturdy.
- The company provides a lifetime guarantee.
This durable canoe has a great carrying capacity. The most sensational feature of this canoe is it three comfortable wobbling seats. I will recommend this canoe for recreational purposes.
2. Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Discovery Sport 15 Square Stern Recreational Canoe, Red
This canoe is divine for any outdoor enthusiast.
First of all, let’s talk about seats.
You will get three nylon web seat in this deal. They are highly durable.
What is more, this canoe is designed with three layers of polyethylene.
Furthermore, it’s also designed with full length stabilizing chines plus a generous beam.
Now let’s talk about the technical part.
The length of this canoe is 15’3″, the width is 40″ width at 4″, the waterline is 39.5″ Bow height is 25.5″, the Depth is 15″. The dimension of the product is 183 x 40 x 25.5 inches. The weight is around 113lbs.
Move on to the capacity part.
The maximum load range of this canoe is 1650-1700 lbs. However, be noted that the max capacity changes to 850 pounds as administrated by the U.S. coast guard.
Why should you use Discovery Sport 15 Square Stern Recreational Canoe?
The most sensational feature of this canoe is its three nylon web seats. They are super comfortable to sit. Additionally, it comes with comfortable carrying handles.
Things we like most –
- It features durable black vinyl gunwales.
- Lock sit and oar socket are included in the deal.
- The square stern accommodates up to 4 HP. Motor.
- It is easy to maneuver.
- The seats are terrific.
You can use this canoe to take your family to a lake or a river. I will recommend it for recreational purposes.
3. Sun Dolphin Scout SS Canoe (Green, 14-Feet)
This 14-feet square stern canoe has the leverage of a built-in motor transom.
At the very outset, let’s discuss the quality of this canoe.
This canoe is designed with a durable high-density polyethylene hull. Furthermore, this canoe provides optimal stability and tracking for your convenience.
Move on to the seat feature.
This canoe features comfortable molded-in seat aid in flotation.
Move on to the capacity. This canoe can hold up to three people.
What is more, the dimension of this canoe is 168 x 38 x 15.6 inches. The weight of the canoe is around 84 pounds.
Why you should use Sun Dolphin Scout SS Canoe:
The most impressive feature of this canoe is that it’s ideally suited for trolling motors. However, you can also try a range of paddling styles with this canoe.
Things we like most:
- Six Built-in rod holder locations.
- Sturdy square back transom.
- Awesome stability and tracking.
- CE rated.
- Beautiful design.
This is a versatile canoe that can be used for various purposes, for instance, recreational purposes.
4. SUN DOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Mackinaw SS 15.6-Foot Canoe
This is a fabulous canoe which is very much user-friendly.
First of all, let’s go through with its seat.
The seat of this canoe built-in cooler plus storage built into the seat.
Move on, it can be used for paddling plus can be used with an electric trolling motor. So, whichever you prefer, you can go with it.
Interestingly enough, it can be used with a Rugged UV-stabilized Fortiflex polyethylene hull.
Why should you use SUN DOLPHIN Mackinaw SS 15.6-Foot Canoe?
The construction and design of this canoe are sensational.
Things we do like:
- Fishing rod holders are included in the deal.
- It has 3 seats.
- You can use it for recreational purposes.
- It’s backed by a 2-year warranty on part and hulls.
- Cool design.
It’s a quality product which will serve you impressively.
5. Mackinaw Square Stern 15.5 ft. Canoe
This canoe comes from a reputable brand.
First of all, let’s talk about the design of this design
This sleek design makes this canoe look elegant. It has a sturdy construction.
Move on to the technical details.
It weighs around 191 hefty pounds.
Why should you use Mackinaw Square Stern 15.5 ft. Canoe?
It has a terrific design which attracts the people a lot. It has a lovely color.
Things we do like:
- Attractive design.
- Lots of storage place.
- Easy to maneuver.
- Relatively inexpensive.
This canoe is mainly for recreational purposes.
My pick up for the best
Well, my choice would be Old Town Discovery Sport 15 Square-Stern Recreational Canoe. It’s a versatile canoe. It can be used for multi-purposes.
It’s equally an excellent canoe for beginners. It will help them in their adventure. In terms of durability and ease of use, I will give it 5/5. If you want a durable and lasting canoe, then this is the ideal canoe for you.
Necessary accessories for square stern canoe
1.GCI Outdoor SitBacker Adjustable Canoe Seat with Back Support
This is a high quality; field-tested travel chair. It has an easy folding and support. It has the latest patented back technology for modified reclining. It’s also exclusively designed with the patented single buckle aut0-fold technology. It’s also adorned with portage lock shoulder strap for easy folding plus carrying. It also comes with dual buckle bench attachment plus storage pocket. You can carry 25o lbs. in this seat. However, it’s quite light. It only weighs around 3 lbs.
2. Sun Dolphin Canoe Paddles (Black, 54-Inches)
This durable paddle (set of two) made of aluminum. It features an aluminum shaft with T-handle. The dimension of this product is 54.3 x 15 x 1.3 inches. It weighs around 2.6 pounds. So, we could say that it’s a lightweight product. Most importantly, the price of this product is quite reasonable.
3. Old Town Standard Canoe Motor Mount
To assist your cruise, a massive aluminum bracket holds electric or gas engines up to 3 horsepower. The mount is reversible. It helps you to accommodate right-hand and left-hand. It provides a sturdy grip. Most importantly, this product comes from the largest and greatest manufacturer of kayaks and canoes. So, we can be sure of its quality.
4. Yakima – JayLow, J-Style Fold Down Rooftop Kayak Carrier, 2 Boat Capacity
This kayak carries can carry up to 2 kayaks (up to 110 lbs. combines). It features all the utility items, for instance, straps and hardware (bow/stern tie-downs and heavy-duty straps) to defend your gear. It has a versatile design that helps you to adjust the upright position with ease. Interestingly enough, it’s straightforward to install. So, you hardly face any issue about the installation process.
Frequently Asked Questions About Square Stern Canoe
What is square stern Canoe?
The stern means to the rear of the boat. Square stern canoe has a point lopped off on one end. They let you add a trolling motor to a canoe.
How to pick up a stern canoe?
The canoe material can be made of wood, aluminum, or composite material. Wood is the most common used material for building canoes for centuries. Woods are durable, heavyweight, and easy to repair. It’s a different matter that wood is not as durable as a modern material. However, woods give the canoe a touch of the traditional aesthetic. The canoes which are made of wood are very heavy. So, you may need a hand to carry it.
Aluminum is also widely used to build a canoe. It’s extremely durable. If you require to mount a heavy motor with lots of thrusts, aluminum is the ideal material for you.
The following material for the canoe hull is polyethylene. This material lightweight, resilient, plus resistant to cracking. It’s the most inexpensive option. However, you can’ repair it if it breaks.
Furthermore, the composite alternatives to polyethylene include fiberglass and Kevlar. They both are lightweight.
On things, you right need to focus on purchasing a canoe is its hull size. So, you have to check the length of the canoe or boat and how much it can accommodate inside it
Usually, longer canoe holds more gear. So, you require a little extra carrying capacity to fit your gear; you should look something for more comprehensive.
Stability refers to the user-friendliness of a canoe. For instance, is it easy to maneuver? Does it tip the sides towards the waterline?
Mounting a motor:
To purchase a square stern canoe is all about mounting a motor. So, it’s the most crucial thing to focus on. Most of the canoes have ample space for a motor. So, you hardly have t worry about it. So, you need to consider the effect of thrust.
Enough, polyethylene canoes are cut out for anything with more than 50 lb. Of thrust. If it has to bear more than that, there is a possibility of damaging. However, a big motor is rarely leverage on canoe.
What are the safety tips for Canoeing?
What we do not usually see in shopping guides, blogs, or sites, is precisely the safety – yours and those of others with you on board the canoe. Why so many other sites do not talk about security, we do not know. But here are some tips from us:
- The first rule of canoeing is: always paddle by hand! Losing the paddle when you’re on the canoe means sinking, especially if you’re already a few miles off the coast
- never go to sea before a storm or storm
- even if you are an experienced swimmer, always wear your lifejacket
- if you make excursions of at least one hour, wear sunglasses and gloves. Otherwise, you might end up with blisters and not be able to keep your eyes open because of the vibration of the sun or the light on the waves, or salt. Same advice in a lake or river.
- Hydration is essential to avoid sunburn or heat: when you go out in a canoe, always take a bottle with you
- if you go out with children or teenagers, always wear a lifejacket and do not go too far, unless you are an expert canoeist
- always follow visible canoe models : in the event of a shipwreck, the Coast Guard or boats nearby will succeed in locating you more quickly
- always have a whistle on the canoe : it will be useful for you to manifest in case of danger. Again, there are a whole series of rules regarding its use and what signals to throw. For the moment, you only need to know that in case of a shipwreck – even without following these rules – you will find yourself more quickly if you have a whistle. When we talk about whistles, it is implied that they are professional whistles and not toys that have a range of just two meters.
- Finally, remember to rinse the canoe after each trip, to eliminate all traces of salt. A canoe that is not clean is an awkward canoe to use – if you are talking about a rigid model – or a kayak more easily subject to punctures if instead, you have opted for an inflatable model.
If you’ve ever had a chance to go out, these tips may not be helpful. But if you want to go canoeing for the first time, they will be precious.