No doubt that a neat and well-tended lawn enhances the beauty of your home. However, it requires a considerable amount of hard work and sweat-shedding to maintain your lawn or garden. For getting an attractive lawn, you need to work smart, not necessarily hard!
With self-propelled lawnmowers, the vigorous physical strain is eliminated, making the job much more comfortable and less time-consuming. While there are many options available in the market, with different features and prices, different mowers are suitable for specific types of lands.
Here are our top picks for the best self-propelled lawn mower for the money to help you make the best purchase!
Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower for the Money Reviews
1.Ryobi Brushless and Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers – best self-propelled lawn mower for hills
This fantastic high-tech product from Ryobi, equipped with some great features, is one of the best self-propelled lawn mowers for hills. This 20 inches 40 Volt brushless and cordless electric self-propelled lawn mower comes with two 5Ah 40-Volt lithium-ion rechargeable batteries that can keep you going for longer times.
These mowers’ engines transmit power to the rear wheels, which provides more traction, making them the best self-propelled mower for hilly terrain and suitable for mowing in straight lines. Not only that, but the height of the wheels can also be adjusted so that one can conveniently get the desired size of grass.
The built-in load-sensing technology adjusts the motor power to deliver the right speed for varying grass thickness and size. Moreover, the product also comes with adjustable telescopic handles that would help you set the perfect height according to your comfort. Furthermore, these mowers are equipped with a 20inch deck that can be used to mulch and bagging as per your need.
A big plus for this self-propelled land mower is that with their quick released knobs, they can be easily folded and put up against walls, saving a lot of space. They also have LED lights in the front to help you mow in the dark.
- The mower is lightweight and, therefore, easy to push.
- Starting the mower is very easy.
- Battery life is good enough to run the mower through the back and forth through a mid-sized (quarter to half-acre) lawn.
- It does not stop moving even in high-density grass.
- Very quiet, sounding almost like a fan.
- Has space for a spare battery so that you can cover more land
- One battery can run for 40-50 Minutes.
- Battery charge may drain quicker in high-density grass.
2. Snapper XD Cordless Self-Propelled lawn mower – best electric start self-propelled lawnmower
The Snapper XD, a self-propelled lawnmower, is powered by a Briggs and Stratton 82 Volt, 21-inch lithium-ion 2Ah battery that comes with rapid chargers, allowing you to recharge a 2 Ah battery in as fast as half an hour. You can go around 45 minutes with a fully charged battery.
This mower is easy to start and typically reaches its full power in just a few seconds, making it one of the best electric start self-propelled lawnmowers. The features of the Snapper XD mower are very similar to those of Ryobi, except these lose traction in hilly terrains. The engine also has load sensing technology, so it picks up when the grass is thicker. You can also adjust its height from 7 different cutting heights.
A typical kit contains a 3-in-1 anti-rust steel deck that allows you to alternately mulch, bag, or side discharge conveniently. The bushel bagging can fit 2.1 cubical grass clippings for higher efficiency. These mowers can also be stored conveniently in tight spaces. Brushless technology also helps in cutting down maintenance costs.
- Easy to reach the lever to adjust the speed
- No sputtering Engine
- One lever Height adjustment
- Easy to clean up
- Battery time lasts for the time mentioned.
- The blade needs to be changed, and if the blades are not widely available (Contact Briggs and Stratton)
- You need to release the lever to pull the mower backward.
3. Lawn-Boy Rear Wheel Drive Self-propelled lawnmower – best self-propelled lawn mower under 300
If you are a little tight on your budget and are looking for the best cheap self-propelled land mowers, this gas-powered lawnmower by lawn-boy is the one for you. This great lawnmower is undoubtedly the best self-propelled lawn mower under 300. Its rear-wheel-drive system provides improved traction and gives you better control, making it suitable for hilly terrain.
The mower is equipped with the Kohler XTX OHV Engine that provides robust performance and user-friendly maintenance. The 21-inch steel deck accommodates the tri-cutting system that offers excellent mulching qualities and superior quality of cut. Furthermore, the deck is lightweight, durable, and provides the 3-in-1-discharge ability.
The cut’s two-point height also allows you to customize the deck size as per convenience at 6 positions from 1.25 to 3.75 inches. Overall, it is one of the best rear-wheel-drive self-propelled lawnmowers.
- It starts on the very first and occasionally on the second pull.
- The engine works great.
- Very economical on gas
- It needs very little oil to operate.
- A true mulching mower
- The front axle might fall off in rare cases.
- The height adjustment levers are a little brittle.
4. GreenWorks Pro Cordless Self-propelled lawnmower – best cordless self-propelled lawnmower
This 80-volt 2Ah lithium-ion Battery run 21inch lawnmower from GreenWorks is equipped with a brushless motor that delivers gas performance equivalent to a 160cc gas engine. So, you can rely on this product for heavy-duty lawn mowing.
The mower’s durable steel deck serves, once again, the 3-in-1-operation for mulching, bagging, and discharging. The mower comes with 10inch rear wheels, and the smart Cut ™ Technology allows variable speed self propel for smoother operation.
On top of these, the rapid charger helps to charge the batteries in about 30 minutes so that you can have far more run-time than other mowers. You can also keep an extra battery with you to cover more area without any hassle. So, if you are looking for some high power and action, this has to be the best cordless self-propelled lawn mower you can get.
- The battery lasts as long as advertised, and by the time one battery is in use, the other will be fully charged.
- No odor is released from the mower or the batteries.
- Cuts grass as tall as the motor house
- The bagger attachment catches all the grass clippings, so there is no raking.
- When the bag is full, the weight shifts to the rear.
- The knobs on the handle spin on easily.
- The wire might get caught in the rear panel.
5. Yard Force Self-Propelled lawn mower – best rated self-propelled lawnmower
We understand that being consumers, we tend to rely on ratings when buying a product. Here is the best-rated self-propelled lawn mower to give you peace of mind. With its 120vRX high capacity 2.5Ahbrushless motor, this mower has the torque-sense technology that enables it to sense when more power is needed so that you can conveniently cut through all grass types and conditions.
This additional feature of installing both the batteries together so that the mower would automatically shift to the other for power if one is discharged. So, you do not have to waste any time and can have a run time as high as 100 minutes at a go. Of course, you can dismount one battery to recharge it since the device only relies on one battery at a time. The kit would contain a 4 Amp fast charger to charge the batteries in lesser time.
The product also features a self-adjustable drive that gives more control in hilly or sloppy areas and provides a consistent cut. The speed can be easily adjusted with just a touch on the lever. Besides, the 22inch 3-in-1deck converts from rear bagging to mulching to discharging much efficiently. The bag is easy to remove and empty.
- Works effortlessly and effectively in unfavorable conditions like a serious weed and rocky areas
- The charger comes with fan cooling technology.
- Speed is effortless to regulate
- The grass catcher automatically closes to indicate when the clippings are to be removed.
- Easy to tilt vertically
- No clumps while mulching
- A little heavy
- Expensive but provides value for money.
6. Powersmart Gas Self-Propelled Lawn Mower – best value self-propelled lawnmower
The 196cc gas-powered self-propelled lawn mower from PowerSmart is ideal for smaller yards yet is extremely powerful and easy to operate in tight spaces. The three cutting system includes side discharge options, mulching capability, and a rear bag that allows spreading grass clippings to the side to return key nutrients to the lawn.
The product features a deep dome deck design and sharp blades, making it better for mulching. The 20inch deck can be adjusted to heights between 1.18 to 3.15inches as per your need.
The equipment has a very compact design, and it has very lightweight, making it very easy to push and handle. Overall, it a convenient tool for your regular use and is, without a doubt, the best value self-propelled lawnmower.
- Three Wheels lets you cover areas close to objects.
- Wheels are designed to make tight circles without any difficulty.
- The handrail is adjustable.
- Extremely easy to handle
- The engine is potent for all land types.
- It runs at a very high speed, so it might not be ideal for older people.
- The front-wheel mount screw might come out easily.
7. Snapper Ninja Self-Propelled lawn mower – best self-propelled mulching lawnmower
This fantastic lawnmower from Snapper has some unique properties. It uses the 850 professional series engine by Briggs and Stratton that allows easy starting and much smoother and quieter operation. The engine also adds to increased durability and longer life.
The rear-wheel-drive feature results in improved traction and control. But what really sets this mower apart and makes it the best self-propelled mulching lawnmower is its Ninja blade. The blade has 6 compelling cutting surfaces that very finely trims the grass and, at the same time, return it to the lawn for healthier grass.
The 14 gauge steel mowing deck, reinforced bracing, Steel axle, and the wheels’ design makes the product ideal for sustaining heavy-duty, rough lawn mowing. You can also adjust the handle and the height of the deck from 1.25inche to 4inch.
- Works effectively on very thick, overgrown, and wet grass
- The engine starts in the first or second pull.
- Handles uneven and rough lands easily
- Works with lesser human interaction
- The Deck is built to last.
- Easy to clean
- No oil drain plug (Have to remove side-discharge to drain the oil effectively).
8. EGO Power+ Cordless Self-propelled Lawnmower – best self-propelled battery-powered lawn mower
This high capacity 21 inch 56-volt lithium-ion cordless lawnmower from Ego Power+ provides the torque of gas. Its rugged construction makes it suitable for every weather condition, and its self-propelled drive system makes mowing very easy on all sorts of land. You can also conveniently pick your pace from 1.8 MPH to 3.6 MPH.
The deck can be used for mulching, bagging, and side discharging without any trouble, and the 3 position handle heights can be adjusted according to your comfort level. This product is handy at cutting grass within heights of 1.5inches to 4 inches. The rear wheel, sized at 9inches, provides the best kind of support you need while mowing. The product is also ideal for compact storage.
This lawnmower is really made unique by its powerful batteries of 7.5Ah that can help you mow grass of all types in varying conditions. The battery can be recharged in roughly 40 minutes and allow you plenty of run time, making it the best self-propelled battery-powered lawn mower out there.
- The battery recharge process is straightforward.
- The mower body is made of plastic, so no chance of rusting.
- Bagging holds a lot of clipping.
- Easy to set up, start, and control
- Can trim tall and wet grass easily.
- Extremely lightweight
- Can work well on very steep hills
- Grass clumps up in discharge mode, which can spray grass out
- Replacement batteries are costly.
9. Scotts Outdoor Power Tools Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower – best self-propelled lawn mower for large lawns
The 21inch cordless self-propelled lawn mower from Scotts Outdoor Power Tools is powered by a 62-volt lithium-ion battery, one of 4 Ah and the other of 2.5 Ah, with a rapid charger so that you can have a high run time. Not only that, these mowers come with a powerful brushless motor that provides gas-like power, resulting in efficient trimming, making it one of the best self-propelled lawn mowers for large lawns.
The mower’s variable speed control feature allows the mower to adjust speed as needed. Simultaneously, its highly durable steel deck can also be adjusted to any height between 1.5inch to 3.75inch, so you can conveniently get the size you want. Backed up by LED headlights, you can mow at any time of the day without any trouble.
Like most other mowers, these mowers have the 3-in-1 functionality with a 16gal bagging capacity. You can also easily fold the handles and store them in any tight space. The battery is also compatible with all Scotts Outdoor Power Tools 62-Volt Lithium-ion products.
- Batteries charge properly
- Can use the self-propelled feature without the blade spinning
- Works great for large yards without needing to replace the batteries
- There is hardly any noise.
- Outperforms many gas run mowers
- The Battery has to be installed in the lawnmower a few hours before running.
10. Craftsman High-Wheeled self-propelled lawnmower – best self-propelled gas lawn mower
Equipped with a powerful 159CC OHV gas engine, Craftsman has to offer one of the best self-propelled gas lawnmowers. It has a one-press electric start and auto choke, and the front-wheel-drive allows you to accelerate speed when needed so that you can end up with a perfect lawn.
The mower is further equipped with both side and rear discharge and mulching capabilities. The 21inch deck allows you to trim grass at a single pass and is ideal for small to medium-sized yards. The deck can be adjusted to 6 different positions, and the 8inch front wheels and the 11inch rear wheels provide more traction while mowing.
The kit includes a deck wash, which can help you save time cleaning the deck’s underside to prevent rusting or building up waste.
- Can mulch decently even without swapping to the mulching blades
- The electric start works well.
- Extremely Durable
- Good cutting Height
- The battery goes for a long time.
- Comparatively heavy
- The levers might need replacement with use.
11. Snapper Hi VAC Self-propelled Lawn Mower – best commercial self-propelled lawnmower
The uniqueness of this self-propelled lawn mower lies in its Hi-VAC deck. The deck’s rolled-up edge design allows it to generate a large air volume that creates suction like a vacuum. This, along with its unique blades, makes it efficient for cutting grass and sucking up the clippings for a clean finish.
The Briggs and Stratton 850 professional series engine comes with a ready start starting system, so all you need to do is pull, and you are off to a start. The rear-wheel-drive makes allow smooth operation in all kinds of areas. You can use the deck for side discharging, bagging, or mulching. You can also change the heights of cut with adjustable handles at 7 positions from 1.25inches to 4inches.
With the ease of electric start with recoil start, Hi VAC deck, 10inch rear wheels, this one makes the best commercial self-propelled lawnmower.
- The 8.5 engine has ample power to cut through thick grass without slowing down.
- Provides excellent control over speed
- The engine starts quickly regardless of using the electric start of the pull cord.
- The mulching mode can cut through really tall grass, and the feature includes a plug that fits in the grass catcher discharge.
- It has a cup holder
- Slightly challenging to set up/Assemble.
- Comparatively heavier.
12. Mowox Zero-turn Radius Self-Propelled Lawn Mower – best self-propelled push mower for the money
Mowox brings you one of the best self-propelled push mowers for the money. This powerful lawnmower is also equipped with a high-performance Briggs and Stratton 725 instant series engine. This, along with the lithium-ion electric starting, provides an effortless push-button starting.
The front wheels can quickly turn 360 degrees for better coverage. They can also be locked in place in case you want to go for straight cuts. The handles and size of the deck can also be customized according to your needs.
However, no adjustments can be made to speed since the wheel-drive system is a single speed. Overall, it is a decent product.
- Three wheels make it suitable for uneven terrains.
- The engine has an auto-choke feature.
- The motor starts right up.
- Good for elderly people
- Good for tight places
- The speed is relatively slow.
- Control for brake and self-propel might seem a little uncomfortable.
13. Toro TimeMaster Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower – best self-propelled walk behind mower
Well, here is another hit product from Toro if you are looking for the best self-propelled walk-behind mower. The device comes with 223CC OHV Briggs and Stratton high capacity engine and is an ideal lawn mower for people who want a high-quality, user-friendly product.
The 30inch deck helps you cover more space at a time, allowing you to finish your task in lesser time. You can adjust the speed according to your need, and the mower can be left without restarts with the spin-stop blade stop.
The mower also comes with excellent mulching capabilities and is durable and dependable. Without a doubt, it is one of the best self-propelled walks behind mowers.
- The Bagger works well
- The Drive System is terrific
- No issues with grass clumps
- The push handle flips out of the way for storage
- 30inch makes a huge difference
- The wheels are heavy to support the already heavy product
- The parts are made of plastic.
Factors to consider while buying Self Propelled Lawn Mower
Well, Lawnmowers are costly and not something you can want to change regularly, so you would definitely want to get the best self-propelled lawn mowers for the money, and for that to happen, you need to consider a few things before making a purchase. This section will take you through some essential features that you need to keep in mind.
Wheel sizes affect the lawnmower’s performance since the larger the wheels, the more convenient it is to run the mower through bumpy areas. Besides, the wheel size should be able to take the weight of the motor and the mower. Self-propelled lawn mowers may be designed with both the front-drive system and the rear-drive system. While both the systems are well suited to flat land, the rear-drive system makes the mower suitable for hilly terrain. This is precisely why mowers with rear-wheel drive maybe a little more expensive.
It is the engine capacity that typically dictates the efficiency of the mowers. Engines power self-propelled mowers, and the more powerful the engines, the better the mower would be in serving its duties. Mowers equipped with Briggs and Stratton engines are taken to be more reliable because of their high capacity.
Bagging and mulching options
Most self-propelled lawn mowers have the bagging and mulching option, but you might like to compare which brand gives you more bagging capacity, which is easier to discharge. These options, without a doubt, would help you save valuable time.
While not all self-propelled lawn mowers might have speed adjustment options, this feature comes in handy when you want even trimming, even in areas where the grass is denser. Mowers that comes with this feature can change the speed according to the land condition, so if you are opting for perfection, this is a feature you might be interested in.
Adjustable handlebar and deck heights
You can adjust the deck’s height and the handles to match your comfort level and the grass height. To maximize your comfort in running the mowers, you might want to look for these features in your lawnmowers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a self-propelled lawnmower?
With the advancements in technology, the traditional lawn mowers have evolved with time. The newer versions of mowers are designed to attain the highest convenience and performance. One such blessing of technology is the self-propelled lawn mowers, which simply put is a type of walk-behind lawnmower that does not require you to exert any additional pressure to mow, eliminating stress on your body. These lawn mowers push themselves, and all you need to do is walk behind them to direct the path. Most self-propelled lawn mowers are designed to mow large land areas and uneven terrain, which is usually very difficult to cover by a traditional push mower. With self-propelled lawnmowers, the mowing job is made much more comfortable and less stressful.
How much does a self-propelled lawn mower weigh?
While weight may be slightly significant for push mowers since one needs to be able to push it through the yard, for self-propelled lawn mowers, weight is one of the least concerned areas. One thing to bear in mind is that the self-propelled lawn mowers are typically equipped with very high functioning, powerful engines and motors, and these are quite heavy. They also are more prominent in sizes, for the bigger the deck, the more area coverage it provides. Self-propelled lawn mowers also bag many features in them, which generally makes them more massive than the push mowers. A typical self-propelled lawnmower would weigh around 60lbs on average. Although the weight may as well go up to as high as approximately 90lbs, depending on the size of the machine and the engine.
How does a self-propelled lawn mower work?
Self-propelled lawn mowers are called so because of their self-running capabilities, so it is very little for you to do to get the machine running. Self-propelled lawn mowers usually work on a drive system that involves transmitting power from the motors to either the front or rear wheels, making them move independently. All you need to do is press a bail on the handle, which has the engine start and the blades spin, and then you can move the handle to change direction. Once you release the handle, the mower would stop at once.
How to fix self-propelled lawnmower cable?
You can fix the cable of self-propelled lawn mowers by following eight simple steps. For the process, you might need some tools like Work Gloves, Plastic Sandwich Bag, bungee cord, Wire Cutter, pliers, nut driver set, etc. First things first, you are required to trace and disconnect the spark plug wire from the plug. Next, you need to release the cable from the lever. Then, you will need to take off the drive cover and remove the cable. Now you can attach the new cable and reinstall the drive cover. Next, you need to install the drive cover and finally connect the spark plug with the spark plug wire.
How to replace a belt on a self-propelled lawnmower?
The drive belt is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the transmission. These belts are made of rubber, and so with time, they grow brittle and begin to wear off. In such cases, the bests need a replacement. The replacement process starts by tilting the mower to a side to get hold of the deck’s underside. Next, you are to remove the blade as well as any belt shields to access the belt. You can quickly assess the belt by removing the belt guide around the transmission pulley. Finally, you can replace the belt by placing it around the pulleys, replacing the covers and blade, and then using the drive cable adjuster to tension the belt.
We understand that a well-trimmed yard comes at the expense of a much costly machine. Therefore, we insist that you go through each type of self-propelled lawnmower features, compare their features and prices, and choose the one that would be most suitable for your needs.
Our personal favorites from the list are the Yard Force, Snapper, and Toro TimeMAster for their unique features. Remember to focus on the engine capacity and size of the deck before buying. Spend time on your research to get the best self-propelled lawn mower for the money.