Palette, a prominent item which is often overlooked by watercolorist studio. It’s an item which allows flying the artist’s imagination. The best watercolor palette simplifies your color mixing. It gives you a better understanding, such as which colors can function together.
When you have the options, a lot of colors, you have a greater understanding of color harmony and color variations. It gives you a whole world to explore. You have to join the quest of colors. You can invent something that you never thought possible.
What is more, palette allows the artist to grow as an artist. It will provide superior control over the artwork and make the artist more efficient and organized.
In short, a palette can magnify your artwork in many unknown ways that you never think of. I just mentioned a few.
After a lot of research, we pick up the top 10 best watercolor palettes for your convenience. They got tons of positive reviews in forum and Amazon. And I checked all the features, pros and con. So, check it out and see which one goes with your needs.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Watercolor Palette Reviews
- 1. Watercolor Palette by Portable Painter – Best watercolor palette for beginners
- 2. Martin Universal Design Watercolor Palette – Best palette for oil painting
- 3. MEEDEN Empty Watercolor Tins Palette – Best watercolor palette for travel
- 4. Darice 20-Well Palette – Best palette for acrylic paint
- 5. Martin Mijello Airtight Watercolor 18-Well Palette
- 6. PRO-ART Pro Art Large Folding Palette Box
- 7. John Pike Watercolor Palette Plastic Palette – Best transparent watercolor palette
- 8. Color Around Aluminum Watercolor Palette
- 9. MEEDEN Porcelain Palette – Best palette for gouache
- 10. Rigger Art Large Watercolor Folding Plastic Palette
- Overall Ideas
Top 10 Best Watercolor Palette Reviews
1. Watercolor Palette by Portable Painter – Best watercolor palette for beginners
This pocket-size watercolor palette is appealingly suitable for travel, plein air painting, or urban sketching. It has two detachable water containers and very robust on uneven surfaces. What is more, it can also be used hands-free.
- Portable: the Portability of this translucent black watercolor palette is just brilliant. It designed to transform from an entire watercolor system to a smartphone size for your convenience. So, you will be super cool to carry and use it.
- Comfortable Grip: It possesses 12 empty half pans that exclusively designed to hold your favorite liquid colors. Interestingly enough, it also provides plenty of mixing wells to blend the colors.
- Stability: The stability of this watercolor palette naturally goes with water containers. So, the color won’t easily spill.
- Durable: It is flexible and compact. And the clean-up process is very easy too.
- A versatile, synthetic, folding, double brush.
- built-in brush rests
- two folding palettes plus 13 mixing wells
- Silicone band and Anodized aluminum Clasp to retain the clasp.
- The brush has no cap at the end to cover it. But still, it’s fit for the case.
This well-made, compact watercolor palette is a blessing to the travelers. I am convinced that it is the best watercolor palette for travel.
2. Martin Universal Design Watercolor Palette – Best palette for oil painting
This beautiful watercolor palette is ideal for the classroom, travel, and plein air painting. Students, as well as professional artists, can successfully use it.
- Leak-proof: This airtight and leak-proof palette can keep colors fresh of your watercolor or oil painting for weeks.
- Slanted walls: It possesses 24 slanted wells plus two generous mixing areas. I must have to say that the wells are very smooth. You will not face any problem.
- Tray Organization: The tray organization had an operational distribution for the wells. Another striking feature of this product is that it has a removable mixing tray so that you can clean easily.
- Made of: It is made of plastic. However, the dimension of this Palette is 5 x 11 x 2 inches
- Large well.
- Compelling surface.Bottom of Form
- Airtight enclosure.
- Sturdy design.
- Sometimes the removable tray gets a bit loose in the palette.
This one is fairly a unique watercolor palette with an affordable price. For home use, I can’t recommend anything better than this one.
3. MEEDEN Empty Watercolor Tins Palette – Best watercolor palette for travel
This handy watercolor tins palette is in small size and ideal for metal watercolor tins. They are very easy to carry in your plastic bags, tote bag, and pack bags. They can be focused on the colors needed for painting. And more importantly, you can easily exchange the order of the paint pans as you require.
- Bottom of FormReusable: It’s sturdy and reusable. What is interesting is that it features a white enamel interior and black enamel exterior with foldout palette wells.
- Construction: It is made of white plastic. And the measurement is 0cm x 1.7cm x 1.0cm.
- Well-designed: It is well-built. It has a ring of the back so that you can easily fold. And the foldout palette offers more areas for mixing colors.
- Portable: The size is – 21.5cm long x 6.7cm wide x 2.0cm high. It will be very easy to carry. It will just fit in your hand.
- Can add more pans.
- Easy to hold.
- Easy to clean.
- With time, rust can develop. So, you need to care of it properly.
With this palette paint case, you will give your creativity more boosting in the world of watercolor. And, if you are a traveling person, this one can be a wonderful choice in your journey as a partner.
4. Darice 20-Well Palette – Best palette for acrylic paint
This 13”x10”, plastic, 20 well palette by Darice is designed to inspire creativity to their customers. They are providing best watercolor palette or other art supplies for more than 60 years. These products are always known to provide the best value.
- Suitable for: This large, 20 well palette is designed to hold watercolor, acrylic or oil paints. It has 4 square, 4 square slanted, four large circulars plus eight small circular wells. Here, you will get a lot of space for a broad range of colors.
- Sturdy: This palette is crafted of white plastic. Luckily enough, it is also very easy to clean.
- Mixing Colors: It is just perfect for mixing colors. With 20 wells, you can do whatever you like. You can mix your paints or keep them separate. As it possesses an ample amount of space, so you can blend many colors at once.
- Dimension: The dimension of this product is 13-Inch by 10-Inch. In another way, it is 33 centimeters by 25.4 centimeters.
- Ample room to mix.
- Impeccable Large Paint Tray.
- Resists staining because of the coating.
- Comfortable to use.
- It doesn’t have a cover.
This is a durable, 20-Well Palette for student artists, crafters kid, and professional artists. It is also an excellent palette for a studio. They will find it very useful for their painting project. It will help them to explore their creativity. Because no palette is as great as it for blending colors.
5. Martin Mijello Airtight Watercolor 18-Well Palette
This small size airtight watercolor palette has 18 color slants. And it’s an absolute delight for plein air water coloring.
- Design: The design of this palette is compact. It’s also lightweight. Because of compact design, it fits in your backpack or purse easily plus keep your watercolors ordered.
- Portable: It’s very much travel-friendly. Suppose you are going hiking or a cruise, you can carry it with you, because of its lightweight.
- Slanted Wells: The slanted wells let you pull out the hues efficiently while not wasting much pigment.
- Mixing areas: It possesses two mixing areas to explore your imagination on another level. What is more, the removable clear style tray that seals tour paint separately also can be used as a blending area. Furthermore, it also gives a lot of space.
- Includes the cover.
- Size is perfectly suitable for most people,
- Not very much great for studio work like the Darice Palette.
This blue color palette is very much suitable for smaller scale painting. You will enjoy your experience with this palette.
6. PRO-ART Pro Art Large Folding Palette Box
The Pro Art Large Folding Palette Box comes in three different sizes, large, medium, and shall. It’s great for watercolorists if they need plenty of wells.
- Mixing area: In the larger version, it has five mixing areas to blend the colors.
- Thumb Hole: The full thumb hole let you focus on your painting and blending rather than making it a mess. If you are an artist, you are not unfamiliar with the confusion part that happens in art. But this thumb hole is an advantage in those cases.
- Brush storage: There is five brush holder to make your work easy and have all art supply within your reach.
- Construction: It is made of white plastic.
- 24 color wells.
- Peachy for plein art painting.
- Moderately durable and large.
- Ideal for beginners.
- The wells are not slanted
This is a beginner palette which will add value to their work. It will make the world of watercolors less messy for them, at first. With time, when they will be moderately experienced, it will still assist them in exploring the world of watercolor. Undoubtedly, we can declare it best watercolor palette for beginners.
7. John Pike Watercolor Palette Plastic Palette – Best transparent watercolor palette
The John Pike Watercolor Palette is exclusively designed for watercolors and acrylics.
- Injection-mold design: Watercolor palettes, which are made of plastic, tend to bead up if water brought to the surface. But this design resists it. So, it doesn’t happen with this palette.
- Paint wells: This palette possesses 20 paint wells plus an oversized mixing area to explore your creativity.
- Airtight Seal: It maintains an airtight seal around the wells. So, there is no possibility of any leakage.
- Measurement: It’s a small good palette which is about 1″ breadth and 1 1/2″ width. Overall, the measurement of this palette is 10-1/2 x 15. So, it’s portable enough to carry around.
- The paint mix fantastically.
- Perfect for studios.
- Ample space for blending colors.
- Comes with a beautiful cover.
- Mixing areas aren’t separated.
You can take this palette conveniently to a different location. It’s quite travel-friendly and also have a beautiful cover and keep the paint moist over than a week.
8. Color Around Aluminum Watercolor Palette
This big size watercolor Palette is a perfect blend of elegance and quality. And it comes in different sizes 65, 26, 35, 30, 13, 20, and 39 (we are reviewing the 65 well one). So, you can pick up the one you need
- Slanted Wells: It is a functional palette of 65 colors. Watercolorists can keep additional colors. Quite naturally, the professionals always need a fountain of colors. So, it can be a beneficial advantage for professional artists.
- Construction: It’s made of high-quality international standard grade aluminum. And the size is (13.78″x5.91″x0.87″)).
- Mixing area: It combined baked white enamel with Foldable aluminum palettes for excellent mixing properties. For mixing, it has two large squares,
- Design: It has a lightweight aluminum design. If you buy the 65 well one, then I will suggest you carry it in the backpack. You can conveniently take it anywhere like the studio, art class on a backpack. What is more, the surface area of this palette is very smooth because of the unique coating material, which ensures that it’s very easy to clean and wash.
- The mixing process doesn’t beat up.
- Efficient airflow.
- Suitable for professionals.
- No trace of paint after cleaning.
- Limited mixing areas.
This is one of the best watercolor palettes presents on the market now. I will suggest it for the professionals rather than beginners. It goes with their style and experience.
9. MEEDEN Porcelain Palette – Best palette for gouache
This rose designed watercolor palette is known for its versatility. It comes with boundless customization, which is very rare in other palette design. The diameter of this ceramic artist palette is 6 inches
- Construction: It is made from eco-friendly, white ceramic material. Furthermore, they clean up very quickly.
- Design: The design of this palette is exquisite. It’s designed with a virgin white surface and exclusively designed space, smooth inside, and stain resistant.
- Suitable for: This palette is perfect for watercolor acrylic, oil, gouache, and tempera painting. Interestingly enough, when you try plein air painting or studio painting, this palette let you select a color precisely to your taste as you depend on different color profiles.
- Front and back Design: It has a heart-shaped groove at the back and a rose design at the front to prevent the palette from falling during the painting.
- It’s Washable.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Will last longer.
- Great for organizing, sorting, beading, craft projects, and kid’s painting projects.
- It doesn’t have any finger hole.
The MEEDEN Rose Design Palette will prove a delight to the craft enthusiasts. A very well-made product. In short, Lovely and functional.
10. Rigger Art Large Watercolor Folding Plastic Palette
This large watercolor folding plastic palette has 33 mixing wells and is suited for the art studio, classroom, school or plein air painting.
- Travel-friendly: It comes with folding box cover lid for an art studio. So, you can conveniently take it on your tour.
- Mixing Coloring: With this palette, you can mix colors like a professional. It has 33 compartments, in which 28 wells plus five ample mixing areas I pallet.
- Lightweight: It weighs only 6 ounces. What is more, it opens flat – smoothly.
- Thumb Hole: It also designed with a thumb hole so that your thumb can rest.
- Perfect-sized for outdoor painting.
- Easy to mix and use.
- Rigger Art Acrylic Palettes 10.2″ x 5.1″ Pallet.
- This palette is not airtight. However, the lid is closed.
You will enjoy painting more with this palette. This product is just perfect, except for not being airtight. So, this one cannot keep your watercolors moist for a reasonable period. However, if being airtight is an important feature for your project, you can try the Martin Universal Design Watercolor Palette. This will work fine for you.
These are our top 10 best watercolor palettes. So, understand your requirements and choose wisely. However, if I need to recommend any palette, then I will recommend Color Around Aluminum Watercolor Palette.
It comes in different sizes. Even though it’s a professional-centric palette, but the beginners can try this one also, apart from the 65 one. It could be confusing for them to organize so many colors. I will suggest they use the other sizes such as 26, 20, 13 or 20 one.
However, another palette which I will pick up, it’s Watercolor Palette by Portable Painter. It’s not for only professional-friendly but also beginner-friendly. Also great for traveling. Overall, it’s a palette which can be used by everyone.
The final call is yours. So, whatever decision you make, best luck with that. I hope your adventure will allow us to enjoy some best artworks if you would like to share anything, comment below.